Old RAM question

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A mate has a computer with only 1 gig of RAM, and I thought it would benefit from a bit more, since its gone a bit slow (as XP is want to do).

4445556177_1ca7b3e10b_o.jpg

It's got two of those in, and there are another two slots.

4445699525_f055fa5c3c_o.jpg

That's the motherboard.

Can anyone recommend the right RAM to buy? Just another gig will be fine, taking the computer to 2 gigs.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Expanding on this, naths right. just want to explain the kingston code.

On the stick you rightly photographed the kingston sticker. On here is a lot of info if you know how to use it.
In this case it was:

KVR533D2N4K2/1G

KVR stands for Kingston Value Ram.

533 is the speed of the ram in Mhz. 533, 667 and so on.

D2 is DDR2. Googling KVR D3 will bring up ddr3 ram by Kingston.

N4 is the CL (clock cycle time). Again googling KVR and n3 will return Kingston Value Ram with a CL time of 3.

K2 means this is part of a matched pair or Kit. 2 parts make up the whole kit. If it was a single unmatched stick it wouldn't have the K2.

1g means its 1 gig of ram. As its a K2 it also means both parts make up the 1 gig size.

So in this case they are 2x 512Mb sticks of DDR2 with a Clock Cycle time of 4ns matches to work as a single unit of 1Gig.

Googling things like KVR K2 will return kits or KVR N5 will return sticks with a cl time of 5. KVR K2 2G returns these.

Sorry if this bored anyone :) Happy if it helps anyone. ;)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Board specs says you can use DDR2 1.8v at either 533Mhz or 400Mhz with a Max ammount of 8 gig (4x 2gig sticks) but the norm 32bit addressable memory thing applies.

To answer you question. If it was me asking me i'd say yes. The faster 667 ram put in dimm 1 for both channel A and channel B should work fine. The board should clock it down to 533 no problems and run without issue in duel channel mode. But thats not 100%, Some times some kits give problems. If it was me buying, I'd go for it. If someone asked me, I'd say Maybe to cover myself ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom