Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Made me chuckle.

The Sun headline made me laugh - something like "Little Chance of Reign" :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Regardless, the monarchy bring money into the UK and we do not fully subsidise them any more so for me that is a good thing.

rynnor

Rockhound
Regardless, the monarchy bring money into the UK and we do not fully subsidise them any more so for me that is a good thing.

I dont think the first one is true and as to the second one - we still pay them millions but additionally they are tax free - including the large commercial interests certain royals have got <cough> Prince Charles <cough>.

Would you be happy if one of your competitors didnt have to pay any tax?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I dont think the first one is true and as to the second one - we still pay them millions but additionally they are tax free - including the large commercial interests certain royals have got <cough> Prince Charles <cough>.

Would you be happy if one of your competitors didnt have to pay any tax?

how many people keep offshore accounts? footballers ? politicians ? CEOs ?
sort the system out first, and you will exactly how much we are missing out on that we are meant to have RIGHT NOW

rynnor

Rockhound
sort the system out first, and you will exactly how much we are missing out on that we are meant to have RIGHT NOW

I dont see the logic here - I pay my tax and I dont think its unreasonable to expect others to do so. Are you saying its fair game if you can avoid paying any tax?

Even tax fraudsters pay more than the royals.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Traditionally, the Royals shouldn't even be paying tax, after all, it's their Country ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
crown estate makes approx £230 million, which goes straight to the UK govt, who then pay some of it out to Ye Olde Queenie, the crown estate is worth approx £6 billion in propery and other interests

+ all the monies from tourism (And the tax revenue this generates)

= you are better off with the monarchy at the moment :)

for a country like Denmark or Sweden where the global appeal of their monarchy is not quite the same you might make an argument that they are a waste of money, but it doesnt really hold for the UK

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
This fixation with whether or not the Royal Family bring in money through tourism or not to me has always been a red herring. The question is whether or not you believe that someone, through virtue of the family they were born into, deserves an officially recognised position as well as special privileges in the eyes of the law.

"Long may she reign over us, God save the Queen." I never fail to cringe at the vehemence that the average man or women spits out this celebration of their inferiority to someone who's only qualification for office was don't die before your predecessor.

Chilly

Balls of steel

"The Duchy is tax exempt, but The Prince of Wales voluntarily pays income tax (currently at 40 per cent) on his taxable income from it."
"In 1992, The Queen volunteered to pay income tax and capital gains tax, and since 1993 her personal income has been taxable as for any other taxpayer.
The Queen has always been subject to Value Added Tax and pays local rates on a voluntary basis."

Source: http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Taxation.aspx and http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/FinancialarrangmentsofThePrinceofWales.aspx

They both pay tax at rates equal or greater than you do. Charles probably should be paying a bit more than 40% (45% now) but he does pay it.

rynnor

Rockhound
"The Duchy is tax exempt, but The Prince of Wales voluntarily pays income tax (currently at 40 per cent) on his taxable income from it."
"In 1992, The Queen volunteered to pay income tax and capital gains tax, and since 1993 her personal income has been taxable as for any other taxpayer.
The Queen has always been subject to Value Added Tax and pays local rates on a voluntary basis."

Source: http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Taxation.aspx and http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/FinancialarrangmentsofThePrinceofWales.aspx

They both pay tax at rates equal or greater than you do. Charles probably should be paying a bit more than 40% (45% now) but he does pay it.

It all depends on how you calculate their income and what they define as 'expenses'...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
rynnor, for someone who is supposed to be reasonably intelligent, you do talk an awful lot of arse some times

Chilly

Balls of steel
It all depends on how you calculate their income and what they define as 'expenses'...
Why is expenses such a dirty word? It costs money to do things. I incur expenses at work when I travel on the job just the same as the Queen does. It costs a bit more to ferry her about but whatever, cost of business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom