Old maps

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This is a brilliant site if, like me, you enjoy looking at old maps of the areas you know. I have wasted quite a bit of time studying these:

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/index.html

Just click on the zoomable link, find the area you're interested in, click it, and a series of maps will appear on the right side. Click one of those maps and a new window will open. The navigation is really easy and the quality is superb. It's also really, really fast.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I love maps, particularly old maps. They tell a story of politics, war and redevelopment over the years.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
thats awesome, basically everywhere i lived in the UK used to be empty farmlands

but i love how the rail lines are still in same place as back in the 1800s (even though that might explain some of the problems with the rail network these days :D )

Chilly

Balls of steel
thats awesome, basically everywhere i lived in the UK used to be empty farmlands

but i love how the rail lines are still in same place as back in the 1800s (even though that might explain some of the problems with the rail network these days :D )
I dunno..they're geographically sensibly placed. Obviously populations have shifted since then, though. Thousands of miles of branch lines have been closed in the last century, as well.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Same here, when a kid we used to have orientation classes, running through woods, farmlands and estate (is this the right word?). Loved going outside the bounds of the course, checking if the map was correct, elevation and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom