old maps

T

Tom

No not old versions of de_dust, but real old maps. I don't know if anybody here is interested in local history etc, but I am, and maybe you'd like to check out this site.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk

It's quite interesting seeing what used to be there before your house was built. Just pray you're not living on an old graveyard!

D

darthshearer

Its a great site and we use some of them for work :)

S

Summo

Interesting stuff, actually. I like all that. :)

O

old.RedVenom

Originally posted by Summo
Interesting stuff, actually. I like all that. :)

I suppose you also like Time Team then eh?

D

dysfunction

A while ago I saw an episode of The West Wing and the President was given a very old Map of the middle east.

He loved the map and wanted to put it up in his office. Everyone kept telling him its not politically correct cos it doesnt recognise Israel.

And he kept saying of course it doesnt! Israel didnt even exist then!

I found it was very amusing!

M

MYstIC G

This is actually really interesting stuff, the cresent near my road has been there for over 120 years. Weird, cos when you look at it it looks so 1970 tacky.

T

Tom

My street was only built in 1890, and the map is for 1848, but there are 2 old parsonages, one of which still stands, the other was knocked down and replaced by.....Parsonage Road! I like knowing stuff like that.

Although there is another street round the corner called Milford road, somebody has sprayed out the 'ord' on the sign :/

D

dysfunction

The map for my area is from 1874 and where my flat is, is just empty field.

But then again my flat was only built in 1989....

Luckily they built a park and cricket field around me as well so its pretty open which is nice!

W

whipped

Very interesting site. Turns out that Chaddlewood was actually once a wood. Moorland Gardens is actually on the site of an old Moor as well.

P

PR.

Heh, Were I live 20 years ago there was a gigantic derelict power station. Before that it was a field and belonged to a Priory

O

old.RedVenom

Next you'll be telling me B/H also used to be an airfield...?

W

Wij

Mixing the old and the new is dangerous. Will they never learn ?

</STEEL>

M

Mr.Monkey

Turns out that london was:

London.

Not alot different where I live....

O

old.tRoG

I looked at the 1902 (I think that's the year) cencus for my area, and then, there were 18 houses down my windy little rural road.

... Now, there's three. One of which is occupied by an 80 year old + woman.

P

pcg79

The village of Tottenham.

Not my particular house though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom