Old Files

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coalâ„¢ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, following this bullshit a few days ago...
Running a 500GB backup and it failing at 99%

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
I've been tinkering with other backup methods and trying to better separate my digital life into categories of either "must survive or wife will kill me" or "why do I still have this shit???" a.k.a. living through the xkcd: Old Files comic.
old_files.png

Well, for my second category I stumbled across a random zip file full of MP3s from 2012 entitled "This is good tea". Naturally with my brain going "buh, wassat???" obviously the answer was "ffs, must be FreddysHouse" and one search later, lo and behold... Music - This Is Good Tea, out 13th Aug 2012

So, since I somehow still have the original zip file of an album with one track on it by @Roo Stercogburn knocking around for no bloody reason as the actual MP3s are also in my Music folder that got me wondering...

What's the most random unnecessary digital flotsam you reprobates still have knocking around in your Old.Old.Old.Desktop\Old.Old.Desktop\Old.Desktop folders?

(Bonus points for anyone who says something as well as pr0n)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have 105Gb of files, pictures and music that I've accumulated over nearly 20 years. I'm honestly scared to go down that rabbit hole.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
20564561920 Apr 28 2017 freddy.tar
10653767680 Apr 28 2017 jadzia.tar
5987276800 Apr 28 2017 lin01.tar
2474291200 Apr 28 2017 lin02.tar
7429509120 Apr 28 2017 linweb02.tar
4378143531 Apr 28 2017 linweb02.tar.bz2
385859133 Apr 28 2017 linweb03.tar.bz2

Ignore the dates......

Embattle

FH is my second home
I really need to do proper clean up of my files on my NAS, probably the oldest one on there xcom_bugfix05 (15/06/2002) I've also got some photos I took with my first digital camera (Fujifilm FinePix 4900Z)
in 2003.

About 7.89TB is used out of 13.08TB, it is made up of:

Applications 3.3GB - Needs some pruning to remove some old crap.
Drivers 6.28GB - Probably don't really need it considering how often drivers are updated and how fast you can download them.
Games 16.3GB - Mostly made up of old Eve Online videos I downloaded, plus some emulators and other junk.
Manuals 351MB - PDF Manuals for household goods etc, fairly well organised.
Music & Singles 120GB - Nothing to do here, organised by Artist/Album.
Photos 20.57GB - Good grief it is a horror show, although it contains the easy stuff such as photos from phones and digital cameras about 7 years ago I spent considerable time digitising a massive amount of old photos. Now even my easier photos need a lot of reworking to organise them better whereas the older photos are all dumped into a unsorted folder and where possible in a folder named after whatever was on the packet of photos, this folder will require considerable time and the help of my mum to work out possible time and who is in some of them. Also a old tin of photos that came from my grandad that after initial look my mum has no idea who they are, I digitised them at the time any way.
Receipts 68MB - No real work required.
Utilities 28MB - No real work required.
Video 7.7TB - No real work Required.
Personal Folders 2GB - Mine requires some work, certainly some useless crap in it.

I really should start looking at time but like I suspect most of you I tend to leave it until the next week, then the next :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't even want to think about it. I've got hard drives all over the house, one or two that are so big and bulky they have proprietary power cables that I know are in the attic...somewhere. The most annoying one is actually an old Flickr account that I can no longer access because it was registered under an old BTTalk21 email account that Yahoo took over and subsequently suspended unless you paid for it via your BT phone account, which I don't have because I don't live in the UK any more. There's about 10GB of .raw files on there I can't get back.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coalâ„¢ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Photos 20.57GB - Good grief it is a horror show, although it contains the easy stuff such as photos from phones and digital cameras about 7 years ago I spent considerable time digitising a massive amount of old photos. Now even my easier photos need a lot of reworking to organise them better whereas the older photos are all dumped into a unsorted folder and where possible in a folder named after whatever was on the packet of photos, this folder will require considerable time and the help of my mum to work out possible time and who is in some of them. Also a old tin of photos that came from my grandad that after initial look my mum has no idea who they are, I digitised them at the time any way.
I'm currently working through having partially started sorting mine vs all the folders of "every picture ever taken by this device" if I never see another duplicated file again it will be too soon!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just throw bigger storage at it. The cloud makes me even lazier.

Having said that, if I needed to find an old picture or something then I have no chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom