Old and new mouse

M

mank!

Right, after ordering this new wireless mouse it arrived and I've discovered it is awful for games. I can't move properly in Q3 with it and that's my only decent quality. I've gone back to my old mouse which is even more broken now after it fell down the back of my desk, so it's impossible to play Q3 with either mouse.

The new mouse (from OCUK) is a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer
The old mouse is a IntelliMouse Explorer

Firstly I need to return this wireless mouse otherwise I've wasted thirty odd quid. Would OCUK be ok if I sent it back saying I wasn't satisfied with it? I've had it less than 5 days and it's barely been used. Nothing's wrong with it, I just wasn't expecting it to be so fucking awful for gaming :)

Secondly word has it Microsoft will replace your mouse if you phone them. Has anybody had any luck with this and if so what have you told them? I found the number 0870 60 10 100 on their website, anyone know if that's the right one? I intend to replace my old mouse with the same one - I wanted a wireless but like I said I didn't know they sucked - so will MS do this?

Thanks

T

Testin da Cable

it is indeed true that MS will swap your mouse, but I hear there are certain criteria -and of those I'm unaware. perhaps the search widget will help?

M

mank!

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
it is indeed true that MS will swap your mouse, but I hear there are certain criteria -and of those I'm unaware. perhaps the search widget will help?

Yeah I did, that's how I found out :) I just wanted to know how people went about it in a bit more detail, so I don't phone up sound like a 'tard.

S

(Shovel)

Put bluntly, if you want wireless get Logitech MX700. *strokes*

M

mank!

I don't want wireless, if anything I'll just replace this mouse with the same thing.

K

kameleon

Have a look at OCUK's returns policy. The shops I primarily use have a 7 day satisfaction returns policy, after which they caharge a "restocking fee" of 25%.

I've said in a previous post that I would never buy another wireless mouse for gaming, so I think you are wise going for a wired/optical option. Before you send it back though, what is the exact problem with it? It may just be that you need a surface that is uniform to put it on. I have a square of desk that ive painted with blackboard paint that works perfectly.

S

Scooba Da Bass

WIRELESS ARE SHIT 4 GAMING AS THE AIR IS MORE LAGGY THAN A BIT OF WIRE!

K

kameleon

Can you back that up with science scoobs?

EDIT: although it is an interesting theory :)

M

mank!

Originally posted by kameleon
Have a look at OCUK's returns policy. The shops I primarily use have a 7 day satisfaction returns policy, after which they caharge a "restocking fee" of 25%.

Cheers for that :)

I've said in a previous post that I would never buy another wireless mouse for gaming, so I think you are wise going for a wired/optical option. Before you send it back though, what is the exact problem with it? It may just be that you need a surface that is uniform to put it on. I have a square of desk that ive painted with blackboard paint that works perfectly.

The problem with my old old mouse (wire) is the wire at the back is loose, the second time this has happened to me. Plus the scroll thing 'spazzes' out meaning IE/mirc goes crazy on scrolling and my weaps change randomly when I'm in Q3.

The wireless mouse is just so awful it isn't true, I can't get on with in Q3 at all because my style of play is 'aggressive cunt'. Which involves running around wildly, the mouse can't keep up with it so it's useless to me basically. I'm able to use this old mouse providing I keep poking the wire back into position but it's about 2 years old now so it could probably do with being replaced anyway.

J

Jonty

Hello :D

Not that any of this is really helpful, but just for reference . . .
Originall posted by kameleon
It may just be that you need a surface that is uniform to put it on. I have a square of desk that ive painted with blackboard paint that works perfectly.
Cool :D Optical mice should be able to work on pretty much any surface so long as it's not reflective or wholly indistinguishable, such as a mirrored table. I happily recall playing Q3A with my mouse resting on my leg :) That said, the official word is a little more cautious . . .
Optical Technology
The optical sensor performs best on surfaces with detail to track. It will not function on surfaces without visible detail (such as glass) or surfaces on which it has a reflection (such as mirrors or glossy surfaces). The optical sensor may also have difficulty tracking on highly repetitive patterns (such as printed magazine or newspaper photographs).
Originally posted by Scooba
WIRELESS ARE *cough* 4 GAMING AS THE AIR IS MORE LAGGY THAN A BIT OF WIRE! ... kameleon ... Can you back that up with science scoobs?
:) Although I don't know of any research, I'm fairly sure Scooba is right. Although probably only noticable in games, it makes sense that there ought to be a marginal delay if only because the data has to be transmitted via a receiver before being processed by the PC. So, say we have point a, the mouse, and point b, the PC. Ordinarily the data can go from point a to b; but with wireless technology it has to go via a transceiver, point c. Even when you factor in data transfer rates and such, it should still work out slower (albeit in milliseconds) than a wired connection. But that's the price you pay for 'unwiring your life'™, and I'm sure most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Have a look at OCUK's returns policy.
Good thinking :D Chapter Eight deals with returns. In short, it seems you won't be entitled to all your money back :(

Originally posted by mank!
Secondly word has it Microsoft will replace your mouse if you phone them. Has anybody had any luck with this and if so what have you told them? I found the number 0870 60 10 100 on their website, anyone know if that's the right one?
I'd never heard Microsoft operate such a scheme, but if TdC says so, it must be true ;) hehe, seriously though, I'm sure the people at Microsoft would direct you to the appropriate department (the number you found appears to a general UK contact number). It's a shame your old mouse was broken in some way, since you'd be surprise how generous companies can be in order to keep a customer loyal (of course you can be more cynical, but I'm sure none of us want to be :D).

<anecdote>
*Jonty's Kodak camera once broke whilst on holiday, so he returned to them with just a little note saying that he'd had it years and that it was probably well out of warrantee, but could they remove the trapped film so he didn't lose the few pictures he'd taken? Jonty then received a nice letter back apologising, together with a brand new, latest model, Kodak camera, a few spare roles of films and his trapped photos processed and printed all for free*.
</anecdote>

M

mank!

Originally posted by Jonty
Chapter Eight deals with returns. In short, it seems you won't be entitled to all your money back :(

Bollocks. It only cost me £30 too, so no point sending it back. Anyone want a wireless mouse?

It's a shame your old mouse was broken in some way, since you'd be surprise how generous companies can be in order to keep a customer loyal (of course you can be more cynical, but I'm sure none of us want to be :D).

Well this old IntelliMouse explorer is genuinely broken and the reason I went for the new mouse in the first place. I want to know if I can get this IntelliMouse Explorer which has a legitimate fault replaced by Microsoft.[/b][/quote]

<anecdote>
*Jonty's Kodak camera once broke whilst holiday, so he returned to them with just a little note saying that he'd had it years and that it was probably well out of warrantee, but could they remove the trapped film so he didn't lose the few pictures he'd taken? Jonty then received a nice letter back apologising, together with a brand new, latest model, Kodak camera, a few spare roles of films and his trapped photos processed and printed all for free*.
</anecdote>

That's pretty cool dude :) I shall now find some Kodak stuff and break it!

M

mank!

Forgot to mention I use a nice Everglide optical mousemat. I R TEH PRO GAYMER

S

Scooba Da Bass

Here's the science part, concentrate!

Wireless and wired mice use exactly the same system to transfer information between mouse and pc. However a wired version has a tube of ionized air which transmits the information faster, huzzah for tubes of ionized air!

K

kameleon

A day when you havent learned anything new is a day wasted. Ta Ben.

S

(Shovel)

With all credit to what scoobs says, (and not claiming that what comes next is gospel), some of the very new Wireless mice are sufficiently quick that you may not notice the delay.

As I keep saying - and I'm sorry for sounding repetitive - the MX700 *is* the most lag free wireless mouse available. I personal haven't noticed a difference - possibly the slightest lag - maybe. However, gaming performance has been excellent. For gamers who are - frankly - better at games than me, I'd advise trying to try one out if you look, just to check that your accuracy remains better than mine :p

E

Embattle

Part of the problem of lag on wireless mice comes from the power saving features they use to slow battery usage.

Users who are viewing this thread