Help Old ADSL wireless router as WiFi extension help

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

I've been thinking about options on how to extend my WiFi in my new house and I came across some good techy discussions on using an old wireless router to do this.

I had a stab at it and I got it to work, but something's now stopping me from logging into the second router (I suspect it's something to do with the IP address it's been given).

Here's the setup:

Old Netgear ADSL wireless router ------ (cat 5) ------> Existing Sky ADSL wirelss router -----> Internet

There are additional wired devices plugged into the Sky router (Sky box and PS3).

The Sky router has been configured with an IP of 192.168.0.1 which would have conflicted with the Netgear (also configured to 192.168.0.1) so I logged into the Netgear router and did the following:

- switched off DHCP on the old Netgear router
- hard coded LAN IP for the old Netgear router to 192.168.0.2

This all works fine when I connect wirelessly to the Netgear router - all devices have internet access so everything is being routed from the Netgear to the Sky router, but now the Netgear router does not respond when I try to connect to 192.168.0.2. In the "attached devices section", the Netgear router does not appear as a device and anything connected to the old Netgear wireless shows as an attached device on the Sky router.

I'm going to reset the Netgear and play around some more, but any ideas why the Netgear router appears to now be invisible?

old.user4556

Sorted it IP conflict with the wireless printer - set the Netgear to 192.168.0.254 and it was fine.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Why don't you set an address reservation for the net gear in the sky router? That way you won't have an issue again.

old.user4556

I'm pretty rusty in the router / IP world these days :oops: Chet.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The routers are both unlikely to be good enough to do that, the netgear probably wouldn't ask for a dchp assignment and the sky is probably too shit to assign IPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom