OK, I need info coz I'm a complete n00b.

S

Stazbumpa

Right, I am sick to death of Win 9x/ME crashing on me for stupid reasons. I have in front of me a copy of Red Hat Linux 7.2 and a copy of Win2k Pro.

What, in your learned and expert opinions, should I do. The main (oh alright, the only) usage of my computer is for surfing/doing the odd Mix CD cover/playing games but I'm just sick of the bugger crashing.

Someone mentioned doing a dual boot with Linux and Win xx (ideas??) and I would also like to know what, if any, uopgrades/driver downloads I would need for either Linux or Win 2K to get stuff like Direct X working and games running on it.
Also is Red Hat any good? Is there a better flavour about as I also got a second 'pute that needs a decent operating sys on it coz I use it at my local net cafe as a server for LAN games nights.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

E

Embattle

Get ready for war, this will basically mean TDC pushing Linux on you :)

S

Stazbumpa

TdC can plug Linux as much as he likes as long as I get some decent ideas. What u running anyway Emb?

W

Will

What games do you play? Most are a bitch to run under Linux, though some work fine.

T

Testin da Cable

right, only just seen this one...but gotta split :(
back later with some advice Staz nw :)

S

Stazbumpa

Nice 1 TdC.

Itch: I run HL/CS/DoD; UT; Shogun; Project IGI; Deus Ex; RtCW; AvP and AvP2, in fact the list is pretty endless. Thats why I wanted to know about dual booting to get stuff that wont work in Linux to run on a Win platform under Linux.

Or could I save myself a lot of bother and just run Win 2K Pro? I await your pearls of wisdom.

W

Will

Aye mate, you'll need a dual boot or win2k only, as you will have problems running some of those games, and a lot of the newer ones.

As for whether to Linux or not to Linux, a matter of choice, but I'd say go for it.:D
I'm sure TdC will tell you why...

S

ShockingAlberto

You can run HL in Linux, and i think there may be patches to run a few of those other games native in Linux.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Just seen this but I'm too drunk to make any sense so I'll bugger off ok.

S

Stazbumpa

Come back when you're sober.

Had a good night out then??

W

Will

Originally posted by ShockingAlberto
You can run HL in Linux, and i think there may be patches to run a few of those other games native in Linux.
You can try to run HL in Linux, but it's very much a hit and miss affair, not at all guarenteed to work.

M

MYstIC G

if you've already got a rake of apps you like to do your mixin/surfin/etc with, then install win2k as it'll make your life much easier for the games side as well.

I'd suggest however what you do is this:
  • Flatten your current system
  • Install Linux for a week & see what its like
  • Flatten your box again
  • Install win2k for a week & see what its like
Then just see which you prefer & go with it.

T

Testin da Cable

k here goes :)
judging from your games list alone I've got something for you hehe. In that list, UT, leet game that it is, is the only one to my knowledge that will run on Linux [with the linux installer]
now, without knowing your other apps [at a guess, there's office and a lot of wierd sound proggys ;)] I can safely say that none of the kit you're used to will run on linux. having said that, do install linux, if only to have a look at it hehe. face the challenge of the learning curve!! see the bane of windoze users everywhere!!! turn to the light side!!!! nuff with the 50's B-movie banners TdC!!!!! thank you ;)

anyhoo my advice is thus: install windows2000 [which you own of course] and all your apps and evade potential problems.
also have a chat with Logic7. He makes electronic music and uses linux. It may well be he knows something we/I don't :D

//edit: course, G's advice is quite sound too, never mind my babbling ;)

S

Stazbumpa

Cheers bud :) I got a shedload of sound proggys (Sound Forge; Rebirth; Acid V2 Pro etc) but I dont use Office (Lotus for me I'm afraid) and I need them all to work but I'll do the Win 2k and Linux thing that G suggested anyway.
However, I am going to stick Red Hat on my games server coz thats what all the best servers use :) and I hate Windows anyway.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by stazbumpa
(Lotus for me I'm afraid)
[eek]
I'll do the Win 2k and Linux thing that G suggested anyway.
[smart]
However, I am going to stick Red Hat on my games server coz thats what all the best servers use :)
[indeed :)]
and I hate Windows anyway.
[I wub j00 Staz :D]

T

Testin da Cable

aye, they do. I believe they've killed off CCmail tho

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Still not sober! However, all the sensible advice has been given. Do try Linux though, you may find it a challenge.

T

Testin da Cable

heh I was supposed to be going out tonight :(
ah well who am I to complain, I got miller in the house as is so m00 ;)

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
//edit: course, G's advice is quite sound too, never mind my babbling ;)
aye, so sound ya didnt bother reading it :p

T

Testin da Cable

aye, I did, thanks Staz :)
See G? I did, so there ;)

S

ShockingAlberto

Itchy:
HL runs rather well in Linux. Obviously running a game through wine will never be as good as running one native, but HL one of the most used programs with wine. http://lhl.linuxgames.com - I run TFC with a better fps than i got with windows ;)

The only downside is that using wine for things like HL seems to take alot out of your system(i think it may be a ram issue as i have only 128megs), so playing several extended sessions of TFC/CS without rebooting isn't brill.

T

Testin da Cable

Alberto, I tried it with Wine, but couldn't get it to work, but I now know where the problem was [the cd I was installing HL off of heh] Watch this space for more on LHL in the future

W

Will

Cool, good to see it works good now, it's just of the people I knew who had tried it, 50% (one) had worked, one hadn't. And I was trusting TdC had given it a good go.

S

ShockingAlberto

If your running it trhough RH look in the 'success stories' forum there, as a guy has posted a script in a thread called something like 'it works in redhat7.2'.

It basically just adds a few HL settings, but for some reason they seem to make the differance between wine crashing my entire system(can't CTLR+ALT+F1) and it running beatifully.

E

Embattle

Runs without any problems on most Windows computers.

T

Testin da Cable

we're not talking about running it on windows - as you well know =P

B

bodhi

Are a few BSOD's really worth learning how to walk again?

I'd just stick with Win2k tbh. Less hassle. More suited to a desktop environment. All your progs will run. You won't end up having conversations with TDc about recompiling your kernel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom