OiNK stopped...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
On the subject of games and software, rarely do I play a game I find good enough to warrant buying. I can think from the top of my head - HL1, HL2 (and Orange box), Far Cry, UT2004, Darwinia, Defcon.....thats about it. All the other games I've played haven't really been worth buying.

I don't disagree with you, but I can find that out by playing a legit demo, not by using Warez.

As for films/tv, well sooner or later these companies are going to have to realise that borders mean nothing these days, so get with the programme and release things worldwide, or lose money.

Pretty much what I said. Which, getting (sort of) back on topic, is why I'm not that sympathetic about OiNK (except for the dubious reporting) because if they really were sharing pre-released music they were effectively acting as a fence, and deserve all they get, whereas the TV-links guy seems to be a bit hard done to (they seem to be trying to get him for trademark infringement, which has worrying wider implications if he gets convicted.)

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Never heard of that one.

Only ever really heard of pirate bay to be honest.

I find Itunes great value and you can have a little listen to clips of stuff. I'd rather buy singles that i like than waste money on albums that i don't really want half the songs from.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Unit sales of music are wayyyy down because:
a) Pop music has become an utter joke. Even the kids know i and avoid it now.
b) The indie-pop-rock stuff that is permeating the industry is incredibly boring, and nothing else gets coverage on TV, press, or radio. Therefore if you don't like this current music trend, you aren't exposed to anything and therefore won't buy much music.
c) The increasing availability of other forms of entertainment. In this thread people are comparing music industry of now with that of 10 years ago. There's so much more available now to people for their leisure time they are not solely restricted to TV/Music any more.

The blame on downloading for the decrease in music sales is a handy scapegoat for the industry that constantly refuses point blank that there is anything wrong with their 'executive' decisions...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I find Itunes great value
Itunes could be worse, but at the end of the day, I can't fucking stand the software. I don't want quicktime or it's helper apps clogging up my system. It's like installing realplayer... *shudder*

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that album sales were consistently up, it was single sales that'd taken a nosedive. If that's the case, I'd imagine it's just because people realised that paying 4 quid for a cd with 2 songs on is a horrendous waste of money.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Ignoring the rest of what you wrote, which I mainly disagree with, I don't see why anybody should expect me to buy shit music.

When I was young I could go into the record shop (yes, records) and listen before I bought. If it sounded shit, I didn't buy it.

If you're suggesting that record companies are losing money because people aren't buying shit music, then I have even less sympathy for them than I did previously.

And yes, despite what you think, I do buy music I download. The last two albums were english versions of Mozart operas. Not something I'd ever have considered if it wasn't for file-sharing.

You can sample music in vizza (or whatever its called - believe it was what used to be Virigin) they have audio things where you scan the barcode and it gives you a sample of all the tracks.

rynnor

Rockhound
Music seems pretty stagnant these days - frankly its directly the fault of record companies and the terrible Stock Aitken and Waterman legacy of manufactured pap.

Bands like Snow Patrol are direct inheritors of this terrible approach of treating music as a consumer product rather than music.

My hope is that music will become un-attractive to big business and will end up with lots of small independant labels run from peoples houses :)

Big business and Music should be kept at arms length.

The last CD I bought was Holst's The planet suite tho :p

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Apparently theres now one called waffels but no idea how to get invites. I miss oink. :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
teh prosecution said:
“Oink is dishonest because common sense says it’s dishonest. It’s obviously dishonest. He knows it’s dishonest because he’s not stupid. He knows it’s dishonest to promote, encourage and facilitate criminal activity."

wow, just wow. I see a lot of things every day that my common sense says is dishonest! I wonder of this man will get them for me too? :/

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Out of curiousity does anyone know what sort of impact streaming services like Napster and Spotify have had on music sales? Surely they must have led to some drop in music sales, I know since having been a subscriber i've never considered actually buying actual tracks or albums. What's the point when I can stream them all, and in the case of Spotify play them offline, for a single monthly subscription?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dunno. However I don't think Spotify will live.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
A small victory in the fight against retarded copyright laws!

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Oink was superb, quality and quantity in abundance, apart from when trem was uploading his gash ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Oink was superb, quality and quantity in abundance, apart from when trem was uploading his gash ;)

Bummer :eek:

'What' is just as good as Oink if not slightly better now.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think it was just one parent who complained about it.

and does this mean oink will rise again?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
and does this mean oink will rise again?

I don't think so and I see no need, like I said before what.cd is the same/as good and they support Oink so I think it will continue as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom