Oi! Your Kettle's in my broadband pipe.

L

Lester

"The company has already run technical trials of the technology in the small Scottish towns of Campbeltown and Crief.

Local resident Barry MGowans said ' Jings ma boab! I've only just got used tae thes new fangled electricity. Thes is more fer your modern folk like Lord Bozzington up at the castle. He's a 12" Black & White moving picture box in his hoose y'know. Now away with ye, am eff tae brae the bairns"

W

wolfeeh

heh

Nortel invented this tech. ages ago... 2-3 years? they could never get it to work properly though - it made street lights flicker among other things :> lol

L

leggy

lmao lest :D

It was all true apart from the moving picture box... we traded it for a neep shawer.

G

granny

I seem to remember from the trials before (few years ago) that the problem was that domestic electricity supplies are very "dirty" ie the flow of current is far from consistent but subject to numerous and continuous fluctuations, brown-outs and a generally hairy monster of a profile. This resulted in the broadband carrierwave being fucked about too and you got a really shitty connection at the end of the day with freqent drops and cutoffs.

If they've overcome that then it could be a nice cheap way of getting bb out to the sticks, better option than sattellite, defo.

O

old.milou

I am currently testing the prospect of "Broadband On Tap" in conjunction with Southern Water... Just turn on your tap - voila! Gallons of MBs per S!

J

Johnny Bravo

Originally posted by old.milou
I am currently testing the prospect of "Broadband On Tap" in conjunction with Southern Water... Just turn on your tap - voila! Gallons of MBs per S!

Yeah apparently ntl are currently looking at a partnership with Royal Mail to overcome their current log jammed network......according to sources the up stream remains the same, but all download content is delivered by your local postman :rolleyes:

Tests have proven that this "at least" doubles current web browsing speeds ;)

Y

~YuckFou~

The downside is you only get one sack load a day :)

E

Embattle

It was invented some time ago but I believe they found it problematic due to too much noise.

D

djpringle

Originally posted by Embattle
It was invented some time ago but I believe they found it problematic due to too much noise.

True, we used it at work a few years ago, just for remote pressure / temperature readings on pumps but the unreliability caused us to go back to an old fashioned standalone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread