Oh woe....

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I wonder if I will ever get a new modem from 3 after windows update seemed to fry the software on it.

I wonder who is liable there, myself (even though I thought windows update was off and had been for months), 3 or M$......

Bet I am going to have to pay for a new one......

I am using an old one I had lying around for my sim, BUT ITS THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER!

Judging from windows update logs, it can install "critical updates" and "hotfixes" even if windows update is set to off. But what occurred was a full blown large scale update.....and then everything was set back to automatic update......

opticle

Part of the furniture
How could it have interfered with the software on the modem ? :/

I'd phone 3 and just tell them its not working, you've done all the correct things, etc. etc. - if running Windows update on the PC fried it's software, its a POS.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Judging from windows update logs, it can install "critical updates" and "hotfixes" even if windows update is set to off. But what occurred was a full blown large scale update.....and then everything was set back to automatic update......

Yep - I caught that too. Wasn't best pleased.

Auto-updates turned off. Microsoft turned auto-updates on then updated my machine, then turned it off again.

Cheeky cunts. Nothing in the news. Nothing in the courts.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
How could it have interfered with the software on the modem ? :/

I'd phone 3 and just tell them its not working, you've done all the correct things, etc. etc. - if running Windows update on the PC fried it's software, its a POS.

They are doing a new thing now were its "driverless" and all drivers run off the stick itself rather than installing any.

Stupid.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'd really love to know how much of modern OSs troubles/instabilities/etc are due to marketing(etc) bullcrap that we don't actually need.

opticle

Part of the furniture
They are doing a new thing now were its "driverless" and all drivers run off the stick itself rather than installing any.

Stupid.

And Windows Update fiddles with what's stored on the stick ? :eek:

Rage.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
And Windows Update fiddles with what's stored on the stick ? :eek:

Rage.

It would appear so, it was fucked after the windows update completed. Even when moved to another machine.

Maybe it fiddled with the power management of my USB or something.

Not that this would even have happened if windows update had stayed turned off as it had been for months.

When I rang tech support, as soon as I mentioned I had done a windows update the guy on the other end changed his tone to saddened and defeated. Guess its not an isolated issue.

Vista and 7 seem to have all sorts of huge issues with my USB ports, it thought switching over to 7 was the answer but there are still issues.....yet with Linux everything is fine, odd. For instance if I need to use my USB gaming headset, I need to do it under Linux as under windows the sound is too choppy to be usable.

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
It sounds you you might have a driver conflict on your chipset drivers. The ones Windows find might not be right for you. Have you tried getting your drivers from your manufactures site? Windows update or automatic drivers are not always best. Also Hardware drivers are only ever Optional updates which means they should never be installed automatically. That is the only way Windows update could of done this as it does not download software only the drivers on it should be updated. If when the automatic updates turned on by themselves they installed driver updates it could explain it.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I don't touch the manufactures drivers for my laptop, they are vista era and make things worse half the time. It is pretty much unusable with default drivers depending on what your doing, I was hoping upgrading to 7 might help, but alas the problems are with the drivers themselves and is probably just something to do with the fact ACER has put parts together that don't play well and the fact that the laptop is 4 years old. Of course, with any other company it would have been a recall as their are complaints about this model all over the internet.

Stripped windows off competently after the aforementioned windows update problem, sick and fucking tired of the shit. At least before I felt I had some control, but if Microsoft is going to start updating my system without my permission then I am sorry I ain't using it as the default OS.

Windows 7 now lives in a virtual machine for those rare instances I need MS office rather than libre office/google docs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom