oh NAS gurus...

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
DId anyone manage to get the iTunes server to work on the synology? I can see it in itunes, but it contains no music :/

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
ZFS on a 32bit 3GB of mem system with 4 - 8 TB isnt going to work I presume?

Embattle

FH is my second home
DId anyone manage to get the iTunes server to work on the synology? I can see it in itunes, but it contains no music :/

I only used it a little while while my sister had a iphone, it seemed some what more difficult to use although that was apparently related to the apple protocol.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Yeah I knew of the rule of 1GB a ram per 1TB of storage. Basically 32 bit systems are a nono when it comes to ZFS fylesystems, which is a shame cause I want to use it. Currently having 4TB of storage backupped (8TB total). Wouldnt have minded to make a ZFS system with 8TB instead to use my HD disks more efficiently. Suppose my only option is to buy a RAID PCI card with RAID 5 on it if I want to use the same system, or stick with the 1 on 1 backup.

Stories about bit rot make me tremble though.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Actually looking at Linux RAID atm. Ill give it a read.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
FreeNAS 8.0.4-p1 has been released because apparently SAMBA has some awful vulnerabilities in it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, over the weekend (with much tweaking and bashing at the keyboard) I got mine running 8.2-Beta3.

Jails & Plugins are brilliant.

Now have a FreeNAS install with effectively an entire FreeBSD8 install contained within it inside a walled garden that can be turned on and off.

Getting things up and running is so much easier when you can jump into the ports tree and do a "make install clean" of what you want rather than trying to install files that may or may not be compiled due to the licences or have versions that you require which only exist in FreeBSD9, etc.

Prime example of this is Serviio make and install the JRE and make and install Serviio and job done. No more headaches with Java not remaining located under the main FreeNAS install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom