Oh for FUCK´S SAKE!!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I can't remember if I mentioned that I've had one or two problems with the tenant in my flat while I've been travelling (not paying the rent on time etc.) Well, I'm back on Monday, and he was supposed to move out today, and THE FUCKING BASTARD IS REFUSING TO LEAVE!!! So, unless I can get it sorted from here in Mexico City, I'm going to be homeless on Monday. I know I can get him out eventually, but I've checked and it could be up to 3 months(!) before I can get the twat out. Welcome back to Britain :(

(Oh, and forget any suggestions of large men with baseball bats or throwing his stuff on the lawn, apparently that's not allowed. Who knew?)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I can't remember if I mentioned that I've had one or two problems with the tenant in my flat while I've been travelling (not paying the rent on time etc.) Well, I'm back on Monday, and he was supposed to move out today, and THE FUCKING BASTARD IS REFUSING TO LEAVE!!! So, unless I can get it sorted from here in Mexico City, I'm going to be homeless on Monday. I know I can get him out eventually, but I've checked and it could be up to 3 months(!) before I can get the twat out. Welcome back to Britain :(

Thats a real pain in the arse, theres a few Police or student law chaps here on the forum, someone must be able to better advise you - cos 3 months just would not be right

(Oh, and forget any suggestions of large men with baseball bats or throwing his stuff on the lawn, apparently that's not allowed. Who knew?)

Damn, this was really going to be my solution, shame, can you not ask a few friends of friends?

Oh, and welcome back to the UK ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture

My mate rents out to people and he had the exact same problem as you.. took 3 months to get the guy out and not a thing he could do about it.

Come 3 months my m8 goes to the house to check it and its completely fucking trashed.. food on the walls etc wall paper ripped off.

Cost him alot of money/stress.

DaGaffer

My mate rents out to people and he had the exact same problem as you.. took 3 months to get the guy out and not a thing he could do about it.

Come 3 months my m8 goes to the house to check it and its completely fucking trashed.. food on the walls etc wall paper ripped off.

Cost him alot of money/stress.

Well, hopefully I won't be that bad; as its my only place of residence it usually takes a lot less than three months, that's the maximum. And as for trashing the place, my brother lives around the corner (and at this rate that's where I'll be living) so we'll be going around there daily. The (sort of) good news is if they do start trashing the place you can get the police to kick 'em out immediately. The guy's being a total moron; I WILL get a court order, he WILL lose his deposit and get a CCJ. He's setting himself up for a world of trouble in the future and at best it will only give him a few week's grace. Fucking idiot.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Well, hopefully I won't be that bad; as its my only place of residence it usually takes a lot less than three months, that's the maximum. And as for trashing the place, my brother lives around the corner (and at this rate that's where I'll be living) so we'll be going around there daily. The (sort of) good news is if they do start trashing the place you can get the police to kick 'em out immediately. The guy's being a total moron; I WILL get a court order, he WILL lose his deposit and get a CCJ. He's setting himself up for a world of trouble in the future and at best it will only give him a few week's grace. Fucking idiot.

The problem is, most people nowadays just don't give a rats arse about CCJ - there are ways of getting round them and infact making it so they never showup on credit checks.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly mate ;)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about that fella. Not something you want to tarnish a most memorable and fantastic experience you have just had!

Ring the Terrorist hotline from Mehico and say you know a potential suspect. Job done.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sounds like a royal pain.

I'd be tempted to extend the trip a bit and sort it via brother/phone.

Kryten

Old Cow.
You can always turn off the water. Has worked for me before.

Tilda

When does his contract end?
What has he actually said? "I want you to move out on this day." "no I'm staying for a month more!" ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
You can always turn off the water. Has worked for me before.

smashing idea tbh.

I am really sorry that you got a bad one Gaff matey. tbh I'm *not* keeping my flat on to rent for this very reason (and that selling it is nice in itself tbh)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
if you are willing to shit on an unflushed bog for a month you're clearly a nutbag :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
if you are willing to shit on an unflushed bog for a month you'll get shit on your nutbag :)

:(

Let me know if it does come to beatings matey - I'll take my camera:)

Damini

Part of the furniture

Had a few friend's friends in similar situations - it's the pub talk of nightmare tenants. One guy sent his very sweet female friend over to discuss it with them so it wouldn't seem like they were playing heavies - the people renting called it harrassment, and got the police involved. Check your rights on that - it may well be illegal for you to visit your own flat while they are staying there. And yes, when they left, they totally trashed the property. Play it carefully Gaffer - recent legislation has apparently heavily tipped the scales against the landlord.

Chilly

Balls of steel
To be fair, its normally the landlord thats being the **** - I can quite understand why the legislature was changed in the tenant's favour. Obviously this is one of the core weaknesses of the current system.

Surely if the tenant is not paying rent and not abiding by previous agreements you can simply change the locks when he next goes out and put all his shit under a tarp on the lawn?

DaGaffer

When does his contract end?
What has he actually said? "I want you to move out on this day." "no I'm staying for a month more!" ?

He was served proper notice six weeks ago and was supposed to be out yesterday. He's known since he moved in the day I was getting home. He's now claiming he'll be out a week on Saturday, but as I have no way of trusting him, I have to start legal proceedings now. As for inspecting the flat, we'll, he's in breach of his tenancy which gives me some rights, and fortunately for me the flat is in a maintained block where the building supervisor (who's a mate of my brother) lives next door, so he'll be able to keep a constant eye just as part of his job.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Get the locks changed, then leave his stuff out in the street.

The guy obviously knows his rights and if the landlord did the change the locks the police would be involved very quickly.

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
Quick and easy way of getting rid of a fucker u dont want (yes this is probably against the law so im not sure)

Get the supervisor guy (ur brothers mate) to check the room for anything that is indeed against the law.. like say drugs for example, call the cops, show them the evidence, hey presto an bobs ur uncle the feckers gone and in jail :D

The only law this might break is invasion of privacy but u can get around that by saying u had suspisions from the start and u dont want that kinda... "shit" in your building lol

Sorry if it doesnt work out the way i think it does, but i hope it gives u afew ideas

DaGaffer

Basically to evict him you need a court order. Personally I'd keep him sweet, wait until he leaves, and then hit him with the bill.

Yeah, I've already realised I just have to follow the process. It's only 150 quid to get the court order, you just have to wait for a court date. Fortunately I have his deposit so I don't have to worry about billing him, as he's in breach I immediately get to keep it and I can take the money it takes to evict him from that.

Mothy

Fledgling Freddie
Probably not a lot you can do except wait until he moves out. You have done the right thing by giving him notice hopefully he will go then otherwise you will have to go to court to have him evicted.

Do not turn the water/gas/electric off if you do then believe it or not you are probably breaking the law. If the police did get involved you might find some decent officers who would do a good job and kick him out.

If the tenancy agreement has expired or it has been broken then I would just wait until he goes out and change the locks leaving his clothes in a nice pile outside. Who knows though this will probably be comitting some sort of offence though civil law is very complex.

Citizens advise bureau is your friend, they deal with stuff like this 10 times a day and its free.

DaGaffer

Probably not a lot you can do except wait until he moves out. You have done the right thing by giving him notice hopefully he will go then otherwise you will have to go to court to have him evicted.

Do not turn the water/gas/electric off if you do then believe it or not you are probably breaking the law. If the police did get involved you might find some decent officers who would do a good job and kick him out.

If the tenancy agreement has expired or it has been broken then I would just wait until he goes out and change the locks leaving his clothes in a nice pile outside. Who knows though this will probably be comitting some sort of offence though civil law is very complex.

Citizens advise bureau is your friend, they deal with stuff like this 10 times a day and its free.

The tenancy agreement has expired, that's the point, he's supposed to be out already, but as it turns out Tenancy Agreements mean nothing if the person refuses to move, which is why you need to get an eviction order. Fortunately, the process of evicting him will come out of his pocket, not mine. He's saying he'll be gone by Wednesday, but as he's had two months to find somewhere already, I'll believe it when I see it.

DaGaffer

Had some good news. My brother's been hassling the guy and it sounds like he's basically said that I am a very bad man and that being around when I get back is a really bad idea. He's promised to be gone by Monday morning! It could all still go titsup but its made my weekend. Right, off to go and get pissed on my last night with some very pretty German girls from my hostel. :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Heh, nothing like a bit of intimidation to win. Enjoy the drinking and the girlies :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't be so quick to forget that if you want your place back. My advice (especially if he's behind with his rent) is when you return, wait till he goes out and have a locksmith change the locks (it would be especially handy if there was an emergency reason for doing so, like in accordance with the lease... say the taps were left running and caused a flood). Once done, refuse to issue him a key until he addresses the arrears. If he can't afford the rent, he can't afford the legal battle. Additionally the longer you leave him in there the longer he'll be fucking you about (3 months if you're lucky) and the more money you'll lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom