Oh dear...

P

psygnal

I was hanging out for this game...
I'd been playing Asherons Call (1) for a couple of years, and was reading up on Shadowbane while I was doing so... it was in development for a LOOONG time, and all of the media about it seemed to suggest that it was going to fix everything that I felt the other MMPORG's had got wrong.

Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to it's potential.

The Player vs Player system is fantastic.
If that's all you're after, then you could well enjoy this game enormously... but the thing that turned me off about the game was it's almost total lack of content.

There is no quest system other than "Go here. Kill this."

Every creature spawns in exactly the same location, so camping is big.

The "Almost limitless" terrain ended up being a bunch of small islands you could run across in less than an hour.

The graphics are OK, but not amazing, and the game requires some fairly serious iron to run it.

You're forced to play on local servers. If you're in the US or the UK, this probably isn't so bad... but if you're stuck on the Oceania servers or similar, then things are just quiet, and you're lucky if half the people you bump into in-game actually speak the same language. This may or may not be a problem in Europe too, I don't know.

The vaunted "We will take the hard-line with cheating" is simply not happening... though this may be a local issue rather than a global one.

I ended up playing this game for a few months and then after realising there wasn't anything to do after levelling my characters to the soft-cap, I gave up and went back to Asherons Call #1.

Basically: A great idea poorly executed.

Rob

Paintball Manager Extreme
http://www.paintball.co.nz/m3/

O

Olgark

I was one of the beta testers of this game and the europe company that was going to publish this went bust about 2 months before release.

When UBI Soft annouced they were going gold with the game the Europe beta testers where saying that the game was not ready. Pitty realy as it was a nice game to play, but like you said poorly executed .

I never went to the US servers as I had beta tested there as well and gave up after looking at the character select screen load up over the hour so I could just enter the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom