Official forums announced

Punkcheese

Loyal Freddie
I just find it annoying that Flash is denigrated by so many, when in capable hands it can be a fantastic medium. A bad workman blames his tools. If GOA are desperate to use Flash they should get guys on board who know their tools well enough to make it (War-Europe) rock performance-wise.
My problem with Flash has nothing to do with performance (usually), but with using it for wholly inappropriate things - such as war-europe. It seems that when Flash came out everyone went "Oh, shiny! Me want" and forgot all about usability. Flash should only be used for multimedia content and nothing else. Why? I can almost hear you ask, well:

1. It's not an integral part of the page, so it breaks common browser features such as the back button. Some of this can be worked around, but it will never work perfectly. Try using the back/forward buttons on your mouse when the Flash movie has focus.
  2. Doesn't readily support disabled persons. The only way to change font size is if the dev had the smarts to actually implement that feature. All browsers offer this functionality for free. I'm sure that screen readers have problems as well.
    Oh, I'm not disabled btw, but I still change text size every now and then.
  3. See some text you would like to save for later? Better hope that copy/paste has been enabled.
  4. Something you would like to bookmark/send to a friend? Same thing.
I could go on, but I hope you get the point: Flash is for multimedia BASTA.
Der Bauer, while pretty and fast, fails in every aspect.

Punkcheese

Loyal Freddie
Just wanted to ad that, yes, you are right, there are too many amateurs posing as pros soiling the name of Flash.
And just to be absolutely clear: I don't have a problem with Flash; I have a problem with Flash being used for the wrong things (which is most of the time, unfortunately).

Arrandor

Regular Freddie
I think we are all singing from the same hymn sheet here when it comes to flash, albeit with slightly different agendas; It would be nice if GOAs web authors stepped forward and joined in on the chat. Unfortunately I can't see that ever happening.

Thankfully the GOA forums will not be flash orienated... cheers Nic.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I don't have a problem with flash as such, it has it's uses, but 99% of the time, I think a standard website is better and far more accesible. Most people just want a website that is easy to navigate, loads fast and tells you what you need to know. I have never understood using flash just for the sake of it.

As for GoA's main websites, this debate has been going on for eight years now, I don't think they are about to change their position do you?

As for the forums, Why have seperate forums for EU and NA, surely that is just over complicating matters?

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Do we know when the official Euro forums open or if they are still coming, US forums seem to be up but no sign for us secondary Euro players.

Punkcheese

Loyal Freddie
Do we know when the official Euro forums open or if they are still coming, US forums seem to be up but no sign for us secondary Euro players.
The US forums are currently in beta and only subscribers have access (read and write). Once the kinks have been worked out they will be opened for everyone to read, and I assume we'll get ours then as well. Too bad that it'll most likely end up in an "us and them" kind of situation.

Nate

FH is my second home
From todays news on war-europe

WAR-EU said:
And we have more news coming your way! Mythic is currently beta testing their Official Forums and in the meanwhile we’re finishing our preparations for our side of the Forums, so they will be ready shortly after Mythic’s forums come out of beta.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
One of the good things about AoC was the tendency of the dev's to post on the Eu forums first, oh how the yanks whined :flame:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom