[Official]Excal Crash

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
Sorry for not posting when it happened, my pc packed in and I had to do a format & reinstall which meant I had no access to the internet until now.

The admins were alerted as soon as the crash happened and again quickly brought the server back online. All the logs of all the crashes are being saved and a complete test of Excalibur will be performed in the next few days by the administrators. We will of course keep you informed for the whole process.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1680

Again sorry for the delay, pc is working again and statistically speaking should do so for the next year until the next bsod.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Yes the swift reboot was nice. and GOA deserves credit for that. However the fact that the server still crashes *ever single evening* is not acceptable in the first place. Last night, from what i could tell, we were not even close to beeing as many players in the Mid frontier as we have been during the previous crashes - still the zone goes down and the auth server dies.

What then happens is that alot of players choose to call it a night, or move to Prydwen (which got a marked increase in players after excalibur was down). In any case it disrupts the activities they were taking part in at the moment of the crash. And it makes the defining activity of DAoC - Large scale RvR combat - impossible.

I really hope that the testing the admins will perform in the next couple of days will help to locate and deal with the problem plauging excalibur since it has to be more than pure server-workload: we cant keep limiting the number of people that can take part in these big rvr events :( If the server cant even cope with the comparatively low numbers taking part in it last night then something must be wrong with it.

Good luck with sorting the problems GOA.

Khalen

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Erivoss :) And don't worry you guys doing a fine job in keeping server online!! Had a nice battle @ Blendrake once mids got back in.

Oddor

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
... and a complete test of Excalibur will be performed in the next few days by the administrators. We will of course keep you informed for the whole process ...
I assume this test will be performed during off-peak hours? Say between 5 and 10 in the morning?

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Elephants are to blame for the server crashes, i just know it - Lay some elephant traps arround the servers. Or House Hippopotimuses!

Faef

Fledgling Freddie
Erivoss Ive posted in another threa *Goa - Fixing the Wrong Problem* a few points that you are addressing here by testing and informing us of what your doing so thanks alot and keep up the good work!

On a side note is it possible for us to know what tests are being carried out, eta on results etc etc.

As much transparency as possible can only help player bases perception of what work you guys are doing which I'm sure is lots :)

Rhirap

Fledgling Freddie
isnt it amusing to watch the people flame goa, say how crap they are, they gonna leave etc, then as soon as its a conversation with someone from/related to goa, they are very pleased with them, love the service etc....shame most people dont have the same positive attitude all the time tbh

(NOT aimed at anyone in particular and im so sick of reading goa flame posts that i dont know if any of u guys have even said a bad word towards them, so nobody take it personally)

Shroomz

Fledgling Freddie
I think we all just have to remeber how many times their own PC goes :twak: to the wall with a single user and plenty of time to update and maintain it, the downtime was unfortunate we all moaned but we got the days back and in general everything is running well, GoA have admitted that the server being down was exrended due to the lack of staff monitoring it, and aim to address the problem (It was over New Year - I was totally shit faced myself so be glad I was not the engineer sent to fix things ;) )

Tis' nice to be back playing mind you - was annoying - heightened by the fact that most of us had a bit of time off to play and found we could not - just how the cookie crumbled.

"Murpy's Law in Action :)" - Toast always falls butter side down
- Server always goes down when no-one is about to fix it

Laryssa

Regular Freddie
what about the recent crashes and the maintaince later on ?
no post no info no reason

oh - i forgot. u don't get paid for it.
I don't blame you - i blame GOA.

:fluffle:

Glendower

Fledgling Freddie
Rhirap said:
isnt it amusing to watch the people flame goa, say how crap they are, they gonna leave etc, then as soon as its a conversation with someone from/related to goa, they are very pleased with them, love the service etc....shame most people dont have the same positive attitude all the time tbh

Not me. I always think they suck. Just because they FINALLY get on the job of fixing something (usally after MONTHS, if ever, and usually in a half-assed manner!), some folks they think they deserve a sort of pat on the back. That pat comes (or not) in the form of the fees you pay to play (or not play as is too often the case!) the game.

I can't believe they still haven't patched to 1.65...ludicrous!

Nothing personal against Zargar, just GOA in general.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Glendower said:
I can't believe they still haven't patched to 1.65...ludicrous!

1.65 by the end of the week.
1.67 next month.

US servers are still in 1.67 ...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Rhirap said:

(NOT aimed at anyone in particular and im so sick of reading goa flame posts that i dont know if any of u guys have even said a bad word towards them, so nobody take it personally)

usually it's different people :)
though sometimes you get people grumbling a bit in the "boo GOA" posts then going "yay" whenever someone posts...

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think that people generally thing GOA are super suddenly but I think they, like me appreciate that Eviross and the other GOA peeps are trying to improve things. Since I work in the IT industry I know that most users have completely deluded views of what's possible, what workload people will be under and how important they are.

Be thankful that GOA have decided that they need someone on these forums to feedback info to us, we didnt have this for a while in any official way. Now we do with Eviross so give him and GOA a chance to sort things out, or if you really hate GOA that much - piss off to the US servers and endure the exact same problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom