Advice Office 365 Home

Wij

I am a FH squatter
This almost falls into the '1 weird trick to...' category but it's not actually bullshit and some of you may not have heard of it...

With Office 2016 out soon (now for Macs) you might be thinking of getting the Home deal (come on, you must be bored with GTA V now.). It's not a bad deal. You pay £7.99 a month (a bit less if paid yearly) and can install the latest version of Office on 5 PCs/Macs and 5 phones/tablets.

Like I say, not bad. But you can do better. If you got a free Office 365 Personal key with a cheapo Windows tablet or PC then that's a good start.

Then you can stack more 365 Personal keys on top of it. They can easily be picked up for £20 for 1 year off eBay. Less if you're willing to stick out an auction.

Stack up 4 of them, (probably costing you £60) and then hop onto the Microsoft store. Buy a 1 month subscription to 365 Home whilst signed onto the same MS account. It will then add another month to your subscription AND covert it to Office 365 Home. That's the whole lot.

Total outlay probably £68. 49 months for less than the price of 12.

Did it myself and it worked :)

Now some of you may prefer LibreOffice. Fair enough but at the price above I'm happy with MS.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You sound like a bot!

I don't want a subscription service for software. I want to be able to buy it and then that's it.
It would annoy me having to pay yearly or monthly for it!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You sound like a bot!

I don't want a subscription service for software. I want to be able to buy it and then that's it.
It would annoy me having to pay yearly or monthly for it!
But unless you plan to keep the same version forever this is cheaper. And you get 5 installs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Is it as horrific as the last couple of releases? Have they put office picture editor back in? (By far the easiest way of shrinking a picture file size)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Office 365 isn't a bad idea in certain cases, although personally I'll stick to my Student & Home Office 2010 version.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Is it as horrific as the last couple of releases? Have they put office picture editor back in? (By far the easiest way of shrinking a picture file size)
Last couple? 2007 was a bit ropey I admit but 2010 and 2013 are fine (mostly.)

Only just getting to grips with 2016 on the Mac but seems good so far. Nice to have it behave more consistently with the Windows versions and not be crippled with inferior functionality or terrible speed (Excel calcs.)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Office 365 isn't a bad idea in certain cases, although personally I'll stick to my Student & Home Office 2010 version.
2010 is still good enough for most needs. I prefer the look and feel of 2013/16 though :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
2010 is massively better than anything since. 2013 and 365 are horrible.

I like the idea of 365 but its just really badly implemented and just feels uncomfortable. Not to mention for the plug ins I use, 2010 is stable and doesn't flid out when you ask it to do too much.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Oh, and don't forget to turn off auto-renewal once done.

Syri

FH is my second home
I'm using 2010 myself, got a good deal while at uni. If I didn't have that though, I'd probably use the new office apps for windows 10, when it's out. MS have done free versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint, with a basic feature set. They're similar to the Android versions really (not tried the ipad versions, but probably also the same), they cover probably all the average home user would need, with nothing to pay at all.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Also remember you get OneDrive with this which means you could save money on Dropbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom