Odd year, this year of 2014

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
So Catsby's mind has been much occupied this year that marks 100 years from the great war.

Catsby believes that this is from the stories told by his grandmother, who lived through the great war and the sequel. Burned into Catsby's memory is a statement about how horrific the great war was. Catsby remembers specific references to the mud, trenches, and rats. It was, to Catsby, deeply meaningful that this woman who married a WWII soldier (as Catsby suspects most of that era did) and had a first hand account of the horrors, still found the great war to be the more terrifying.

Catsby understands that there are many differing viewpoints, and that Catsby's opinion by no means invalidates others.

So you may, or may not, be asking Catsby "What brings you to say these things here?"

Catsby's answer is "Valiant Hearts", and his question to you is what are your thoughts on it?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Blast frm the past

It's actually an even year you can divide it by 2

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
WWI had a massive psychological effect on the combatants because it destroyed old certainties, and it was definitely a worse war than WWII if you were British (its more arguable if you were French, German or Russian) because for all the fear of the Blitz, and Dunkirk and V-bombs the British had a relatively "good" WWII inasmuch is the British pretty much came to define themselves by how well they did and (hilariously if you think about it) set themselves up as the plucky underdog.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
WWI had a massive psychological effect on the combatants because it destroyed old certainties, and it was definitely a worse war than WWII if you were British (its more arguable if you were French, German or Russian) because for all the fear of the Blitz, and Dunkirk and V-bombs the British had a relatively "good" WWII inasmuch is the British pretty much came to define themselves by how well they did and (hilariously if you think about it) set themselves up as the plucky underdog.

even though we lost ww2 ? :c

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
even though we lost ww2 ? :c

Everything we lost in WWII was really a result of WWI. WWI managed to both bankrupt us, and increase the size of the Empire (which we couldn't afford to run) at the same time. By the time the Japanese rolled over large chunks of the Empire (destroying all credibility in the "Imperial project" forever) it was already a hollowed out shell; that's a big reason why it was so easy for the Japanese to do it. And in actual dead body terms, we lost a lot more men in WWI; total UK casualties were about twice as high as in WWII, including all the civilians. That's why I'd say its a more tricky calculation if you're French; what's worse, the massive losses in WWI (nearly 1.7m men) or the total loss of your country in WWII? (Of course the massive losses in WWI were why they lost the whole country in WWII...)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
War brings the biggest technological advances, due to the vast amount of money invested into sciences to find new ways to defeat the enemy.

Imagine if there was no war, and we decided to spend all the money on projects on how to save your former enemies, that won't happen.

So.

War, what is it good for?

Well, in the short time, people died, but in the grand scheme of things, it could be argued it has great benefits.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Valliant Hearts has a nice sentiment to it. I've seen vids of it. I'm unsure I would play it though...I don't know why. Cuts too close perhaps?

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Having just finished it for the first time, Catsby doesn't know quite what to say. Catsby feels that whilst it is a game, it doesn't belittle the war, with perhaps some exception to the villain of the piece who is a caricature.

Catsby is glad to have played another game that left him feeling that there is much to be thankful for, and that not everything French is bad :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Their women are hairy and smell like the food though.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Their women are hairy and smell like the food though.

I'm told that she is french,
melissa-theuriau-une-femme-au-parcours-professionnel-image-193066-article-ajust_930.jpg

/ goes to fetch a razor, and some salt and pepper.. :D

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yes I know, been there loads (Nantes) visiting relatives.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
In real life, which Catsby believes the kids call IRL, Catsby has seen many hairy armpits on the ladies or that nation. Catsby has also had to educate the ex-patriots of that same country, albeit men, that it is generally expected that one washes oneself each day, wears clean clothes, and use deodorant/antiperspirant.

That all said, Catsby can't stand the American Pino Noirs, far too sweet for his pallet, and finds the French Rhones much more palatable.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Prefer a nice Bordeaux like St Emiilion or St Estephe myself.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Regards being hairy and smelly, been with a few in my youth whilst working in Toulouse and honestly that is not really true.
Of course it's not true, Raven is just being hilarious and edgy again.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Always nice to have a creepy little stalker.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah it got annoying really, too many odd replies, I just phase out his tedious ramblings now.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't know why you keep up this pretense that you actually blocked anybody in the first place...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Real ignoring is much more fun, been doing it to someone for a while now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom