Question Odd Router problem

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I have an odd router problem...

everytime someone walks past the router it disconnects from the internet (ive checked the cables several times and made sure housemates arent stepping on it as they walk past) ive even gone to the trouble of making it go around the door so its no longer under the floorboards, but it still disconnects, ive tried disabling the wireless and everything but i cant figure it out, its as if the act of them walking pasts interferes somehow and makes the router disconnect and then re-connect to the internet o_O

some occasions im online for up to 4-5 hours before anyone walks past then dead, then as they walk back and forth through house it'll be up and down constantly!

ive tried updating firmware, changing wireless settings but the only thing that seems to work is telling my housemates to stay put while im doing stuff online! :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So it disconnects even if you're wired in directly?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
If your theory is correct and the router disconnects every time somebody walks past then some physical action is happening to the router. Is there any wireless involved or is it all by wires? Wireless signals should go straight through humans if they aren't then you might want to check they aren't cyborgs. Whatever it is updating the software is unlikely to help.

I suggest you get a friend and try and reliable repeat the observation. Once you have done that you can investigate what exactly it is causing the disconnection. I would suspect you have a dodgy power cable or phone line in a wall/under a floorboard. Either that or your friends are just playing a prank on you.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Sounds like the router has a faulty connection in some way, either internally or on the external connectors. I'd look at getting it replaced.

Does it power off or just lose network connection?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
this is our second router with same problem its a Belking 54g or something, i've tried disabling the wireless part (its connected by direct cable to my pc anyway) and it still happens i thought initially it was because my housemates were stepping on the cable between router (which is in my room) and the box (which is in living room about 1.5m away) but i've moved cable above doorframe so there is no way anyone is standing on any cable causing it to become loose, im a bit stumped

its not powering off its just disconnecting then automatically re-connecting to the internet

i've tried conducting tests with housemates walking past and everytime they walk past it disconnects but it doesnt seem like they even touching anything unless they can interfere with the cables inside the walls which wouldnt be anything i can change o_O

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
This is gonna sound dumb but, Is the hall carpeted and do they drag there feet when walking.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So your net disconnects, but windows doesn't say that the ethernet has disconnected? If that's the case you need to focus your attention on the phone line (assuming it's ADSL). That must be getting affected somehow.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You just need to keep narrowing down what makes the router disconnect when somebody walks past.

I agree with nath it might well be a damaged phone line somewhere and if that is the case is there another phone line you can connect the router too?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Starting to sound like what other people here are saying, dodgy wiring on the phone line.

Try to trace the cable, and I wouldn't be surprised if if goes under where your flatmates are walking, and putting pressure on it cause the router to disconnect.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
im thinking now that it is some problem with our phone line as the phone now is playing up too, as the internet disconnects when you walk out of the room the phone rings once with no record of the call and you cant dial out, ISP coming to take a look at some point this week! thanks for advice anyway

(its not a cable problem as ive tried replacing it, and theres no where anyone can step on the cable anyway as it runs out of the wall socket, up and around doorframe, along skirting board out to the router :p )

Kryten

Old Cow.
Edging a bit on the "carpet" query, and also on dodgy cabling query, have you tried disconnecting the bellwire on the master phone socket? Assuming your phones are modern they will still ring, and it will reduce interference on your line, resulting in a more stable connection.
Phonelines, especially older setups are very prone to interference from electrical cables and devices, even static as per a possibility in this case. The bellwire is one of the biggest reasons for this, always worth looking at in case of a dodgy line.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the phone socket was taken out today by a Karoo engineer and even i could see it was a mess seems we've had mice in the walls who thought it would be a tasty treat!!

all fixed now though woo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom