Rant O2 bumping tariffs mid-contract

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm sure most people here expect their mobile phone tariff to be fixed for the period of their contract. The problem is that little clause that allows network operators to increase their tariff charges by the rate of inflation in the middle of a contract's term.

I got this email today...
We've always done everything possible to give you great value. And keep your bills down.

To date, we've held off putting our tariff prices up for as long as possible. Even when our competitors have.

But now, because of inflation, we need to change the price of your tariff.

From 28 February 2013 your mobile line rental will increase by £1.31 a month to £42.31 a month. That's a rise of 3.2%, the same as the current rate of inflation.

What you pay for making calls, sending texts and using data is not affected by this increase.

You don't need to do anything. You'll see the increase on the first bill you get after 28 February 2013.
Thank you so VERY fucking much O2! For the 3.2% increase, I expect to see a 3.2% improvement in my mobile signal coverage.

So that's going to be £30million extra a month or so in O2's coffers (or £1million a day) JUST from this price rise. If you guys think it's going to be profit, take a look at this...
http://www.itpro.co.uk/644650/4g-spectrum-auction-opened-to-bidders
Bidding for 4G spectrum is now officially underway in the UK, with mobile operators wishing to take part invited to submit their applications yesterday. [11 Dec]

Bidding started for 4G spectrum on 11 Dec. It costs £100k to bid.
Price increase announced 12 Dec which comes into force in Feb 2013.

Coincidence? Yeah, right!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Tehy're using RPI, not CPI. RPI is at 3.2% for October 2012. They obviously picked the one that was higher as it suits them better.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I just managed to break out of my Orange contract! My paperwork states that tethering is included. I got billed for it 2 months running. When I called they said my contract had changed and I had been notified. I argued it was a substantial change and that I wanted to cancel the contract. 20 minutes later my 9 months of £38 are gone and I now have the same deal on rolling 30 days for £15. So it's worth reading your agreement.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Got the same email today.

Tho for me the increase is only 50p.

BUT ITS THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's such a small amount I couldn't care less.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'd rather have the extra pennies in my pocket than theirs.

I can't do it now but when Feb comes I'll ring them up to move me to a cheaper tarrif. That will learn 'em!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Good point!
I forgot you can drop a tariff level after 9 months. My contract starts its 9th month in February, so I'll get onto O2 in early February and tell them I want to downgrade a tariff level. Keep doing this for 3 months in a row and I'll be spending 25% less a month.

They're screwing me with the contract terms to increase the amount I pay?
I'll screw them back with the same contract terms to reduce the amount I pay. The end result is O2 will be getting less money from me each month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom