Help NY -3 weeks, 3 days and counting...

russell

FH is my second home
Popping to NYC for 3 days soon. God. I cant wait. The thought of it is keeping me going through my shit job atm.
Any tips on fitting it all in 3 days? Must see's/ could avoids?
Thanks guys, sure loads of you will have been there. I really want to make the most of such a short time. Also is there anyway to avoid/ improve the homeward jet lag;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You got a...

Travel in, 1 full day, travel out.

or

Travel in, 3 full days, travel out.

...scenario?

In either case, the best laid plan(of mice mostly) is to make an actual list of what you want to see and allocate the appropriate time to it(including travel and ooh aah factors). Leave some downtime in between, but in general, the main things you want to see (see some NYC guide to see what you want to see) should be scheduled and then you can use the rest of the time left for shopping and all that other stuff.

Also good to schedule on different days, but leave last day pretty much on packing and airport stuff. (some hotel nearby stuff could fit in ofcourse if there's time).

When preplanned, things usually leave a lot of extra time.

Or;

Go there, see what you want, go back for trip 2 :p

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Stuff to do:
Top of the Rock at Sunset
Museum of Modern Art (even if you bomb through it in 2-3 hours)
Castle Clinton
Brooklyn Bridge
Watch a theater show on Broadway
If getting taxi's, only ever official yellow cabs.
Eat some proper NY style pizza.
Staten Island Ferry for some great shots of the Statue of Liberty
Go to a sports game. Baseball is boooooooring as hell though.

Stuff to avoid:
Times Square in mornings, lunchtimes, evenings on workdays.
Going up Empire State building
Going anywhere during rush-hour (8-9AM, 5-7PM)
Stopping randomly to take photos while walking up and down avenues.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Stuff to avoid:
Going up Empire State building

I can't emphasize this enough. By all means, go to the island and wander around outside it. It's quite nice. But do not pay to go in or up it. The views are rubbish. It's incredibly crowded and you move at one pace every 10 minutes. They don't let you in the crown most of the time either.

So if you like cold stone stairs then by all meas, but you'd be better off spending the time doing something that won't be crapola.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I can't emphasize this enough. By all means, go to the island and wander around outside it. It's quite nice. But do not pay to go in or up it. The views are rubbish. It's incredibly crowded and you move at one pace every 10 minutes. They don't let you in the crown most of the time either.

So if you like cold stone stairs then by all meas, but you'd be better off spending the time doing something that won't be crapola.

That would be the statue of liberty ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie

Statue of Liberty != Empire State Building.

edit: damn you, toht :).

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
I thought the Empire State building was cool, great views *shrug*.

Central park, the area around the Rockefeller centre with Radio City/St Patrick's/Saks etc, Chinatown for the knockoff bags (Canal St I think?). Soho/Village worth a stroll too.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I thought the Empire State building was cool, great views *shrug*.

Central park, the area around the Rockefeller centre with Radio City/St Patrick's/Saks etc, Chinatown for the knockoff bags (Canal St I think?). Soho/Village worth a stroll too.

i loved the empire state building, gives you a great view of the chrysler building:)

russell

FH is my second home
Flying Friday eve -so I think I arrive really late friday night their time - We have all of Sat/ Sun to sightsee and most of Monday- then leave late Monday night:(. Fly over night -back at T4 -7 AM Tuesday.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I was in NYC in June this year and it was absolutely fucking epic. Everyone told me before I went how awesome it was, and tbh I was a bit "meh" at the hype but it really was every bit as good (if not better) :).

Things to do (may be duplication with what's been said above:

- Top Of The Rock at the Rockefeller Centre.
- Empire State Building.

Both offer awesome skyline views at night (will post pics later) of the city, but the Empire State Building is a little bit cramped at the top. The Top Of The Rock is a lot better for space and is on three seperate levels. You also get a view of Central Park and the Empire State Building - I much preferred TToftR, so if you're pushed for time, curb the Empire State Building

- The Brooklyn Bridge

Walk across from downtown to this place for ice cream:

Google Maps

- Ground Zero and memorial on the south side of the site

September the 11th affected me profoundly, and standing right by 7 World Trade Centre and the rising 1 World Trade Centre from the now building site was quite an experience. It was hard to imagine what took place there. The memorial is very moving, but worth it. I touched part of one of the planes, not sure why I did that.

- Central Park

Good for a walk or just chilling out. Get a hot dog and ice cream then go and see Strawberry Fields and the John Lennon tribute.

- Times Square

Well worth a visit, my hotel was just off Times Square and I absolutely loved the buzz and atmosphere. It's very busy at all times of day and the lights at night are incredible.

- Shopping on Fifth Avenue

Sony Centre, Apple Store, Abercrombie & Fitch, Gucci etc. - they're all here and worth visiting which you can do on the way up to central park.

- Subway ride

Just to say you've done it :)

- The Guggenheim

It's just ok, but it's a nice part of time near the Met anyway.

- See a show on Broadway

I went to see Chicago (I hate musicals) and ended up really enjoying it :). There is a box office on Times Square and if you are willing to queue then you can get about 50% off the ticket prices, but it is first come first serve - if you really want to see something specific then this may leave you disappointed if it sells out.

- Chinatown

Holy shit, it really is like a piece of China in the middle of NYC

- Downtown

Battery Park, Wall Street and Ground Zero can all be covered from here before walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.

- Grand Central Terminal

What an amazing place with all the buzz of comings and goings. There are pubs and restaurants here too that do awesome burgers. I got dinner in here and can thoroughly recommend it.

General things:

- get a piece of NY cheesecake
- get a taxi ride
- get a horse and cart ride in Central Park
- go shopping
- keeping hydrated is a must if you're walking all day in the heat and drink water even if you're not thirsty
- get a hot dog
- tip 15%
- wear soft comfy shoes as your feet will be cut to ribbons from a lot of walking
- if you are walking lots, stop regularly or you just end up fecking knackered

old.user4556

Some shots:

From ESB looking downtown:

mg229456tonemapped.jpg

Outside our hotel:

mg234678tonemapped.jpg

7 World Trade Centre:

mg281567tonemapped.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge:

mg2870111tonemapped.jpg

Times Square:

mg329234tonemapped.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge at night:

brooklynbridgetonemappe.jpg

From the Top Of The Rock:

mg2570123tonemappedfilt.jpg

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't have much to add, since all off my trips have been 'hotel, train, office, train, hotel' etc etc. However, as a Mum you MUST pop into FAO Schwarz, a massive toy store, but be careful as I got held up in security at JFK carrying a new NERF softball gun onto a plane :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I loved the fact that in FAO Schwarz they had a huge 'Charlie & Lola' display, and they were showing one of the shows and it wasn't dubbed into a whiney american accent

Edmond

Who are you going with russ, is it some awsome dude who rocks???

Edmond

No Toht, you're wrong!

How is he wrong, you talk about the stone stairs and going up into the crown?

I did the Liberty tour and it took half a day. Yes it was airport security getting in, but once in there it was amazing

I did climb the 'stone stairs' to the top of the plinth and looked out across the Hudson back to Manhattan. At the time we were not allowed into the crown, but they have since let people up there

The ESB has a lift which takes you to the top, not stone satirs?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
How is he wrong, you talk about the stone stairs and going up into the crown?

I did the Liberty tour and it took half a day. Yes it was airport security getting in, but once in there it was amazing

I did climb the 'stone stairs' to the top of the plinth and looked out across the Hudson back to Manhattan. At the time we were not allowed into the crown, but they have since let people up there

The ESB has a lift which takes you to the top, not stone satirs?

No, he and you are wrong! :D

russell

FH is my second home
Who are you going with russ, is it some awsome dude who rocks???
Indeed the most awesome dude who rocks out frequently

-when he thinks no one is looking;)
Thanks for all the tips -guess I will need to take loads money? Really excited now. Got a new hat and everything!

old.user4556

guess I will need to take loads money?

Your mileage may vary, IIRC I took about £300 worth cash and spent the same again on my credit card.

I would advise getting a lot of single dollar bills for tipping purposes.

russell

FH is my second home
Just so you know -we are back now. Did most of what you guys said and it was incredible x

...except for the bit where you get scanned for weapons, as the machines did not like the underwire on my bra:(

Edmond

Its cos you were concealing two deadly weapons, they had to shut down the Terminal 5, we almost missed the plane

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So now it's confirmed by airport security that Russ is toting two cannons?

Nice that it went well, until next time then :cheers:

old.user4556

I nearly crashed yesterday checking out the rack on a teenage mum pushing a pram.

It was in Glasgow. I bet you're not surprised.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
1 buckie swig = 1 blow-job with the local lollies ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom