NV4_display error

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Ive had a random crash that occurs usually when Im playing games like COD4.
Its says an error with NV4_display adaptor dll. Ive tried uninstalling the display drivers and reinstalling new ones but it doesnt seem to correct it. I suppose it could be heat, but my system temp is in the 40's-50's so I think the cooling is okay.

Any ideas?

Im trying to avoid shipping it back to the manufacturer

Kryten

Old Cow.
Which OS is this?

Try a reinstallation of drivers again, but uninstall the old ones firrst then download DriverCleaner (the guru3d.net version, not the drivercleaner.net version) to rid any leftover files.

Failing that, update your motherboard chipset drivers too.

Can you drop us some specifications - i.e. computer brand, or brand & models of the motherboard & graphics cards as well as the OS being used?

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Which OS is this?

Try a reinstallation of drivers again, but uninstall the old ones firrst then download DriverCleaner (the guru3d.net version, not the drivercleaner.net version) to rid any leftover files.

Failing that, update your motherboard chipset drivers too.

Can you drop us some specifications - i.e. computer brand, or brand & models of the motherboard & graphics cards as well as the OS being used?

Hi Kryten, Its Win XP. The PC was bought from Overclockers.
It has a striker 2 mobo, and 2 8800GTX cards (make is "point of view")

The error message is a "pagefault in none secure area". Refers to NV4 disp adaptor so I figure its something to do with the graphics card(s)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ah.
Short of what I've already suggested re drivercleaner, It'd be an idea to put one of the cards out and play for a while with just a single card. See if just either one of them on their own causes a blue screen. If one does, faulty card, however I suspect on their own they'll both be (hopefully!) fine.

Grab the latest chipset drivers from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies (under the driver it's nForce, which model exact is dependant on which Striker 2 you have and give those a try. The nvidia motherboards are not renowned for their reliability and often need a bit of upkeep to force stable operation.

Naturally if there's any overclocking involved it will be worth running it at stock to eliminate that as an issue too.

See how all that goes then get back to us.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
What size of PSU are you running with two 8800GTX cards?

If its built by OCUK they should have either a 900w or 1000w PSU put into the machine, my mate made the mistake of buying 2x 8800 GTX cards and only picking up a 750w PSU, he had similar problems with blue-screens because the cards are power-hungry

Helme

Resident Freddy
He should be able to run it fine on a 600W proper brand PSU, the whole craze over 1000W is just utter bullshit.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
What size of PSU are you running with two 8800GTX cards?

If its built by OCUK they should have either a 900w or 1000w PSU put into the machine, my mate made the mistake of buying 2x 8800 GTX cards and only picking up a 750w PSU, he had similar problems with blue-screens because the cards are power-hungry

It was built by overclockers so I assume its got a sufficient rating to run the 2 cards.

Ill have to check that ot.

Krytens solution of taking one out might help if its a power issue

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I think my system instability was due to the muppets at Overclockers. I found that the 12V power connector to the motherboard (not the main power connector) was partially inserted. Since I pushed it in properly COD4 has run without problems.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Heh, bugger me - but on OC's defence those connectors can work slightly loose, but the clips would normally retain them well.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, bugger me - but on OC's defence those connectors can work slightly loose, but the clips would normally retain them well.

I think you're right, but they also forgot to connect the floppy disk power connector too when I first received the PC. I thought I had checked the rest at the time but this looked connected on a cursory inspection.
Thanks for your help as it got me thinking about the power side again.

Also congratulations on spawning the son of Kryten, its a proud moment I know.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Cheers, that it is :) Can't stop smiling and I keep having to wipe a tear from the eye every time I see him grin or sleep happily on mum's chest :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
The problem came back so I went looking to see if it might be the Bios.

I have a ASUS Striker formula MoBo and an X9650 quad cpu.

I discovered that the Bios needed upgrading to support the cpu.

The problem seems to have gone, played company of heroes for 2 hrs with no crashes.

The Bios supplied was 1001.bin and the mobo didnt support the cpu until revision 1601.bin - thats about 4 further revisions.

There were problems with the L2 cach apparently that are now resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom