NTL users in Nottingham/Mansfield area and LDs

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
OK. I just had a pretty long chat with NTL again...first guy I spoke to was about to launch into the whole "have you updated your drivers"-type spiel so (I work in a PC support call centre myself and can tell when someone has no idea what I'm talking about and is putting up a wall of bluster to cover up the fact that they have no comeback) I told him that this has been ongoing for over 3 days, that multiple users are reporting the same fault at the same time and bombarded him with some IP addresses, tracert delay times in .ms and the like. At which point he escalated me to his second-level support people, who seemed vastly more clued up and repsonsive.
I explained that different people had all been running Pingplotter etc and all showing problems with the NTL servers you can see causing grief in my PP pics above, and that talking to people on ventrilo I had seen huge spikes on PP at the exact time that people got huge lag and went LD in-game. Also that this happened 24/7 and bore no relation to server load or times of high overall internet use. He ended up asking me to email in my PP shots of the problem, which I'll do as soon as NTL have sorted out the problem with my email.
Gah.
Still, at least this guy today sounded like he understood that A: I knew what I was talking about, and B: there might actually be a problem. As opposed to the line most people at ISPs take which is that it cannot possibly be their infallible uberhardware causing the problem, it must be being caused by spyware on your PC, a modem/router problem, Windows not being up to date, a ley line, sunspots, aliens abducting your packets or in fact anything at all except their fault.

aw0l

Loyal Freddie
Im in scunthorpe , north lincs we are having exactly the same problem here. The bad news is last year about the same time of year we had the same problem and it took almost 4 months to be fixed.

NTL customer services are a joke, they lie constantly and pretend u have viruses and allsorts to try get you off the phone, this is the fun we had last year

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18236

Id advise anyone on ntl to leave if possible, unfortunately i cant get adsl so im stuck with it :(

Crash

One of Freddy's beloved
well guys, ive been on Wanadoo for the past 5 years (joined as previous namesake Freeserve) and in that time, ive been offline for all of 2 hours - i pay roughly 28 a month for only a 512 connection, but i can upgrade to 2mb for 20 which i will do once i see the need, the customer service i received wasnt great, but ive only ever needed it once (when i fucked up the modem installation :D) so, fi you are considering a switch, from my personal experience, id recommend wanadoo :D

Airmid

Fledgling Freddie
My husband worked for NTL for about 6 weeks (admittedly this was about 8 years ago when they were still C&W) - after which they sacked him for no good reason, even though he had the highest call completion rate (and he's not the sort to fob people off). With a work ethic like this, is it any wonder the customer service is shit?

Pipex FTW

We pay £17/month for a 2.2MB connection with no download limit. Its gone down hmmm twice maybe in the last 4 years, and at least one of those times was because some scroat had thought it funny to set fire to the big green telecoms box.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
Good thing about all this is I finally got round to using my freebie cinema ticket for the showcase to catch a late night screening of Nightwatch, cool film ;)

did you get that when lightning struck showcase and sound was lost for ages? :p

we only lost sound on trailers, and still got a free ticket :D

oh and i just spoke to ntl, seems they beggining to ackowledge the prob now, although he still asked me if the lights on my modem went out....standard question or what? anyway he said there sorting it as soon as possible.....but again could take up to a fortnight :(

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Heh been a long time since I was last in the Salutation Inn.

My old LRP group used to hold their monthly meetings there, top place

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Aeris said:
did you get that when lightning struck showcase and sound was lost for ages? :p

we only lost sound on trailers, and still got a free ticket :D

oh and i just spoke to ntl, seems they beggining to ackowledge the prob now, although he still asked me if the lights on my modem went out....standard question or what? anyway he said there sorting it as soon as possible.....but again could take up to a fortnight :(

Nah, I work at Toyota and got 4 free tickets last Christmas, being in Mansfield though I usually go to the Odean so its taken me ages to use them.

Just got another 4 tickets for the showcase for £4 today at work though lol !

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
well my only contact with ntl customer service was when i rang then to tell them i had smashed up their modem the engineer had just installed at my house.......it didnt work due to the engineer not bringing me the cable to conncet from the modem to the pc<his response when i asked for one was go buy one>
and thank god that happened or i would be going LD all the time as i live in nottingham
deep

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Deepfried said:
well my only contact with ntl customer service was when i rang then to tell them i had smashed up their modem the engineer had just installed at my house.......it didnt work due to the engineer not bringing me the cable to conncet from the modem to the pc<his response when i asked for one was go buy one>
and thank god that happened or i would be going LD all the time as i live in nottingham
deep
Don`t think Game employees should be really talking about good cust service tbh:p U Ready for the Dark rising onslaught yet?:p

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Deepfried said:
deep

/wave :D

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Aeris said:
lol i hear toyota is an evul place to work :(

Its true :(

Mandatory over time, quite often 3 hours a day + weekends (and you CAN'T say no), probably the worst car-plan in the country and the most idiotic monkeys as group leaders.

But that aside its not so bad.

Thankfully im in the maintenance department so im not on the production line.

Jebelious

Fledgling Freddie
i always seem to be getting small problems with ntl but nothing too major really. Pipex ftw if u have a bt phone line tho only had 1 problem with them when it went down for 3 days but they had a major server problem. other than that they were great

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Seems to be fixed now. Haven't had one LD yesterday or today :D...just really fucking annoying that when I had a 3-day weekend set aside for DAOC fun, it was ruined by the LDs. Ah well.

Airmid

Fledgling Freddie
Guys, why don't you just bite the bullet with NTL? They are officially Britain's worst company for customer service and the internet service they provide is terrible. They're not that much cheaper than other ISPs like Pipex and Wannadoo that have proven track records, so why not just save yourselves a lot of pain and switch? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom