NTL problems or just my box?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I keep getting temporarily disconnected from NTL, in Manchester. Its a set top box, and whenever it happens one of the leds disappears and later flashes to indicate the connection has restarted. Sometimes lasts minutes, sometimes hours.

Is anybody else having this problem, before I ring NTL and whinge?

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Well every few months or so my modem starts saying its disconected, does it a few times and then stops again which is a bit odd :S Also at the mo NTL seem to be kinda slow, but then this also happens sometimes.. guess it could just be alot of people using internet now :<

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I'm having the same frequent disconnects also, I live in Teesside and use an external cable modem and to be quite frank its really starting to piss me off beyond belief.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This is getting so fucking annoying now. And their support centre is shut on weekends. Fucking stupid.

Cyfr

Banned
My mum wants me to come fix her NTL so guess she has the same problem..

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Whats really annoying is that their service status page makes no mention of it.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Yup, random disconnects here. Its been happening for a while for me (a couple of days at least).

Tis crap :(

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
i've been getting disconnected randomly (10mins, an hour, all day)for the past few weeks, just a coincidence maybe but it seems to have got worse after the speed up grade, Nottingham NTL user btw and when u do phone em all they say is, we'll book an engineer who then doesn't call back for 2 days and by that time the conn is back up

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well its been stable for about 4 hours now, so fingers crossed :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hi

Thank you for your recent e-mail.
From the info provided, I believe that the following should help resolve your queries.

Problem:
STB or PC may be frozen. Dropped connection. 169.254.x.x. IP address

Solution:
Shutdown the PC and remove the power from the your STB.

Leave PC and STB off for approximately 30-seconds. Switch on the STB, make sure that the STB is not on Stand-by.

Wait for two green lights on the STB to stabilise.

Then check that the interactive service is working on the STB.

Make sure that the correct cables are being used between STB and PC.

Switch on PC. Once the PC is back on, the power cycle is complete.

I hope this helps to answer your queries. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely
Caroline

Funny that, I actually tried everything she said in my email complaining about the matter. I wonder if the auto-reply computer is called Caroline?

I will be demanding compensation tomorrow.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Well thats 2 days since i reported a fault and guess what.....
No call from NTL engineers, oh and surprise surprise the service is back up again..... or have i spo

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Theres a note about it on their service status page now.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
NTL have a habit of upgrading* their UBRs without notice at silly times. You'd think 10pm on a saturday would be a no-no for maintenance work...

When it stays up, it's fantastic though. To be fair to them, mine (Oxford) has been great for a long time, now. I had a day of outages like those described above about 3 months back and a nice low latency connection since.

I miss their support newsgroup. A couple of years ago, you could get real support from intelligent staff by posting your problem to their NTL-only newsgroups, bypassing those wasted hours on hold (if you could get to the newsgroup, that is)

*I use the term 'upgrading' lightly, here.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
hmm 3 days now still no call :confused: mind u i haven't been disconnected either :clap:

and agreed MrBlack when it works it is fantastic although i dont know why their routing to Jolt is so crappy its like 12 hops or something stupid :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom