NTL Broadband Confusion

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Time for you to help me, hehe :) Basically, we're at last upgrading from dial-up to broadband with ntl. On ntl's website it states we'll need either a cable modem or a digital set-top box (the latter which we have already having cable modem functionality).

My question (being a broadband n3wb1e) is if the broadband is connected to the set-top box in the living room, how do I get the connection to my PC upstairs? I'm not sure if I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but I'm not keen of having cables strewn across the house (in reality I'm hoping to use a wireless all-in-one device, but I'm guessing this would have to go in my living room in place of the set-top box connection?).

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Jonty said:
Hi guys

Time for you to help me, hehe :) Basically, we're at last upgrading from dial-up to broadband with ntl. On ntl's website it states we'll need either a cable modem or a digital set-top box (the latter which we have already having cable modem functionality).

My question (being a broadband n3wb1e) is if the broadband is connected to the set-top box in the living room, how do I get the connection to my PC upstairs? I'm not sure if I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but I'm not keen of having cables strewn across the house (in reality I'm hoping to use a wireless all-in-one device, but I'm guessing this would have to go in my living room in place of the set-top box connection?).

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards

I'd get a wireless router/modem rather than using the stb connection if I were you. I get the impression that those Pace stbs are pretty flaky.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I may be wrong, but I think Jonts already has the STB. If this is the case, how does he get the connection upstairs?

Id like to help the helper, but Ive got ADSL and dont have the same problem. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for that, Da Gaffer.

And yes, you're spot on, Wil. I just find it hard to believe ntl expect those with digital set-top boxes to feed wires from the box to their PC, which are almost certainly in different rooms. Like I say, I'll probably wind up with a wireless router/modem, but I just wanted to get my facts straight seen as this is all new to me.

Kind Regards

Chilly

Balls of steel
just stash the wifi router behind the telly and use it like that - i'm sure a neat arrangement can be made.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I had them run the cable back out of the lounge, up the wall and into the spare bedroom where my pc was. You should be able to do the same.

By the way, you know you can get free broadband and cable don't you?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
NTL+wireless = bad!!

I have tried 2 different wireless routers with my NTL now and it works but cuts off if you try to do anything taxxing like......check your email :/

I don't know whether NTL do a wireless router package now but I bet they don't.

Can I suggest NTL is a bad choice* Jonty :(

*apart from the reasons that Lester said.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Trem

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I have to say that since being installed the NTL broadband here has been fine. Have you tried resetting your NTL modem and/or your router? Also try fiddling with your wireless connection settings using your router/wireless manufacturer's (not Windows) software (for some reason I found an unsecured network was crashing far more often than a WPA protected one, although I can think of no reason why). If that fails, try getting in touch with your router manufacturer and see what they suggest (first in the manual's troubleshooter then via phone/email). Belkin's support, for example, is freephone. It should be noted that sometimes, because of interference and building layout, wireless will intermitently cut out, sometimes even when signal strength is normally good.

As for NTL doing a wireless package, Trem, yes they do: http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/help/services/wireless/ Personally I think it's rather expensive at £99.99, and doesn't carry the reputation that Belkin, Netgear and others have. Furthermore, reading the advert, this kit isn't supported by NTL so you'd be no better off if it didn't work.

For those interested in how NTL setup the connection after my questions, they basically just ran the connection into the living room and into a USB modem (I was under the impression the digital box had an integrated modem but we got a modem anyway). Had I not requested this we would, as has been suggested above, had to have a cable run through the house or holes drilled outside in though. Thereafter is was merely a matter of configuring the router, which also sits in the living room, then job done :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. I should have said, I wasn't recommending NTL per se, but since I don't pay the bills I don't have much of a say in what we use :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Jonty, I got a big long network cable and ran it upstairs to my PC. It was quite easy, as I live in an old house with a 2.5 foot tall crawlspace underneath, that I can get into and do stuff like this.

I just ran it under the floor, up under the staircase, and under the floorboards in the bedroom.

Now all I have to do is find out why NTL have been charging me for 1MB and 2MB packages on the same bill for the last 2 months.......

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, their mistake - people, check your bills - they had been charging me for a 1MB package I didn't have!

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
that happened to me too Tom, the useless bastards. Luckily enough they screwed up activating the account too so had to phone them the next day and one of their techies spotted it.

ps: When i got 2mb bb off ntl I got a replacement STB which i wired up just like the old one, direct from the ethernet port to the pc. Seems that is what they expect but i'd luckily already wired up the house.

pps: and these people are your friends because NTl aren't http://www.ntlhell.co.uk/forums/ :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom