Note for TDC

S

ShockingAlberto

What's wrong with ext3? Do you have something against ext2 as well?

T

Testin da Cable

nope...ext2 is cool
ext3 on the other hand is the very visage of evil. especially the way it handles flushing imo. EVIL!!2
and Bods say he likes it [even tho he has no idea what it is], and well...he likes ATi too. 'nuff said.

:D

S

ShockingAlberto

Hmm, i thought ext3 was just like ext2 but with some improvements? Can you elaborate on its evilness ;)

T

Testin da Cable

ext3 is indeed just like ext2 heh. the new stuff is the journalling and some other stuff.

the beef I have with it is this: journals and such is well and good, but it will never work as well as it's enterprise class cousin filesystems like jfs and reiser ea. this especially holds true if backwards compatibility to a non-journalling previous version is coded in imo.
on top of this I found that if one has several ext3 filesystems mounted at once on a busy drive the deamon starts to give way under the pressure. in other words it froze the system to flush the transactions out to disk...and that's on a very very fast machine! SUX0R! this doesn't occur using ext2 and also doesn't occur with jfs [riser I didn't test]
in fact I happen to run jfs on a slower machine [dual 450Mhz] with huge filesystems [>200GB] and never have any performance probs!

close: ext3 will prolly rock hard. it just doesn't right now imo.

S

ShockingAlberto

Hmm, i found that ext3 worked fine when mounted as ext2 (using a 2.2.x kernel)... I have no qualms.

B

bodhi

EXT3 = TeH 0WN0r
JPS = tHe suXXzorz

yuo = FagEt!

thx bye.

T

Testin da Cable

it does indeed :D
j00 running it now Itchy?

W

Will

Sadly no.:mad: I'm stuck on Win98 untill this high-speed cable modem trial is over.

M

mr.Blacky

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
one doesn't have to bash windows alberto. windows users bash it well enough by themselves aiii :)
rofl

hmmm still rofl

W

Will

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
too bad :(
Or untill I run all the benchmarks, then get abusing my bandwidth powers.:D

T

Testin da Cable

aah. stick it out you must young padawan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom