Not sure if this is the right forums but I need help bad

S

StormriderX

Since this morning my pc has been undergoing countless blue screen's of death.

At first they listed "pfn_list_corrupt" till I installed the new nvidia drivers (44.03) - I am running windows xp with a geforce 4 ti4200 8xagp msi branded - which caused the msg to go away but the machine to crash even more.

Therefore I decided to go back to the drivers on the cd that came with the machine but I'm still getting blue screen's crashing my pc. I also got some yesterday but no where near as bad as today :(

Is there anyway to fix things without formatting my harddisk.

Also on windows error reporting it says that it is a device driver that is causing the problems so I assume it is the gfx drivers at fault :(

S

(Shovel)

OK (The better forum would just have been the General bit of "Hardward, Software, Security", but this is fine!),

There's a few things to try:

Firstly, when the blue screens come up, write down everything! There are parts of the messages that you can search on Google (and Usenet) that will give you some pointers. Post them here too, since some of us may recognise them!

Next up, you say that reinstalling the old drivers made some difference? Did you completely uninstall the old ones? There is an uninstaller for the Detenators, but there is also a freeware application that will completely remove them after that, wiping the system free from the nVidia drivers. You could try reinstalling after doing that. I believe the util is called "Detonator Deleter" - I expect there will be others like it.

Blue Screens are, as I expect you can guess, serious errors - XP defaults to resetting the computer without tellling you usually, I assume that you've disabled that to be getting these messages up.

It may be worth checking the temperature inside? When you reboot, going into your BIOS (Which motherboard do you have?) will have hidden somewhere a temperature reading for the CPU, and the system generally. If the system is higher than 40 degrees you may want to consider some case cooling - this can fix some such problems.

I don't whether there is a utility to measure the temp of a GF4 itself, someone else may know the answer to that.

A quick solution is to remove the back plates in the PCI slot next to the graphics card - this can offer a slight bit more air movement, especially if you put an "exhaust" fan (a case fan, blowing ******ds) at the top of your case. You don't have to be techno savvy to remove the back plates, it doesn't require you to touch any of the insides, just be careful and give them a little upwards tug and they should come out. prising them with a screwdriver from the outside can also get em out quicker too.

Can you give us the rest of the specs of your system? Especially motherboard, and temperatures if you can get them. There will also be some BIOS settings you can tweak that might get the graphics card running more stable if that proves to be a problem.

I hope that gets you started.

EDIT:// As I say, write down the blue screen messages and well be able to indentify that device driver for definate.

To reassure you, there should be a way around this that doesn't require reinstall - hopefully.

K

kameleon

You can give us the BSOD errors by going into control panel>administrative tools>event viewer>system the one we need will be marked with a red circle with a cross in it double click on that and then copy and paste the information into notepad or something.

P

PR.

You sure the machine isn't over heating?

Its sure is hot here, and any weak cooling may no longer be able to cope.

Trying removing the side of your PC and seing if it runs any better...

S

StormriderX

I uninstalled dx9 and the 44.03 drivers and replaced with the 40.72 drivers (last to be certified) + dx8 and everything is running fine again now - thanks a lot for the advice anyway :)

M

MYstIC G

It's not your drivers, its because your forum sig is far too big & your PC can't handle it.

S

StormriderX

Originally posted by kameleon
You can give us the BSOD errors by going into control panel>administrative tools>event viewer>system the one we need will be marked with a red circle with a cross in it double click on that and then copy and paste the information into notepad or something.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 e39b92f7, parameter3 eb10bafc, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 ec1cbed5, parameter3 ed49fc68, parameter4 ed49f968.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Error code 0000004e, parameter1 0000008f, parameter2 0000b0a4, parameter3 0002f88e, parameter4 00000000.

3 of the error msg's I got :x

T

Testin da Cable

you don't happen to have a creative labs card in there do you?

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

heh, you thinking of the one that doesn't fit in the board properly? My mate got that one, he wasn't a happy bunny.

S

StormriderX

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

nope aint got nothing made by creative cept for the speakers ;x

Users who are viewing this thread