Rant Not for anti-smoker etc etc thread. - About smoking.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just curious. Since i haven't, for some reason or other, smoked for almost three days. I think the last one i had was tuesday morning or so.

I think i'm not addicted atleast, after 13 years of smoking half a pack(atleast) a day and getting no effects from the "break" :eek7:

Got almost a full pack on my table right now, open and they smell nice as ever, just can't be bothered to go out and have one :D

Not quitting, not saying i am atleast, just found it curious that after such a long time and all, i got no addict qualities.

(And no Olgaline, that's not the reason i seem "pissed off" on the forums. It's because if i want to be "not too nice" in real life, should practise it here.)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i dont think everyone becomes adicted.
i also just stopped one day but i will admit ive smoked when drinking or other things.
at least i no longer do it daily.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I think it largely depends on the individual.

My dad smoked for over ten years then one day stopped and never smoked since. Yet I know others who constantly try to quit but can never quite manage it.

Myself - I can't afford to smoke - and even if I could - I think i'd opt for more food instead ;d

Mey

Part of the furniture
Sometimes I'm just too busy to smoke and go for a week or so without one. I mostly smoke when bored or revising lol.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
i dont think everyone becomes adicted.
i also just stopped one day but i will admit ive smoked when drinking or other things.
at least i no longer do it daily.

I think it largely depends on the individual.

My dad smoked for over ten years then one day stopped and never smoked since. Yet I know others who constantly try to quit but can never quite manage it.

Myself - I can't afford to smoke - and even if I could - I think i'd opt for more food instead ;d

Yeah i guess i don't get addicted to the stuff, more the habit. Just seemed like too easy to be without. Ah well, i know i'll smoke when i go to work tomorrow(i think) or atleast when i get some alcohol in me.

Bugz you probably never will smoke since you're old enough already.

Zede

Part of the furniture
3 weeks ago, i went up to the lake district, and didnt smoke a thing in 5 days, first time ive ever done that since 1989.

With no stress, its easy.

Within 2 days of coming back, hanging with my m8s who ALL smoke...I was soon back in the habit. Nice to know it was easy to stop though, with no side effects.

Meggey

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldnt say i'm addicted i can go with just one fag at night. At weekends i will prob smoke atleast 40. Thats with drinking though. Its a social thing. However if i dont have one for a few days. I sometimes really crave one.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
(And no Olgaline, that's not the reason i seem "pissed off" on the forums. It's because if i want to be "not too nice" in real life, should practise it here.)

:D

no worries,
I wont take it outside the other thread.

I do think your kidding yourself tho, if think you arent addicted
but all substaces have variating effects on different people, and detox can show it self in many ways and forms, and wheres one person might go crazy from abstinance from 5 smokes a day others can smoke 40 a day and yet have an easier time dropping the habbit.

it's all up to the body really and how much it desides it needs the substance.
well and ofc quantity to some extent, but it's not alpha omega

Olgaline

FH is my second home
you say you arent quitting, but if you change your mind and do quit you might wanna keep at the patches or gum if you dont want to increase your wieght.
heard that your metabolism may fall with aws much as 10% for a given period wich over time, if you dont increase you activity level or eating habbits will result in a build up of fat.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have to disagree on the "not an addict" thing, since i'm more of a basement guy (badum-tsh!), since not all get the jitters etc.

If i do put on some weight, it's only a good thing as i'm trying to gain some weight to get my muscle gainy thingy up too.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
It's physics mate, not even you are above the laws of nature, so ofc your addicted, but to what extent is a different matter, and how your body reacts to that addiction.

and well your right, if you use it "or abuse it" you can turn it to your advantage the metabolism that is. but allas if you increase your activity level you'll in turn re increase your metabolism too, and yes gaining wieght is no mesure of a bad thing in any way only gaing body fat procentage over 20, then it starts getting tricky

I went from 11% "very normal" to abotu 18-20% and I'm looking to get back to about 10% or at least under 15%

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I wouldnt say i'm addicted i can go with just one fag at night.

Michael Barrymore started on one fag a night. He didn't have any ashtrays, so the pool is as good a place as any to put your dead fags...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's physics mate, not even you are above the laws of nature, so ofc your addicted, but to what extent is a different matter, and how your body reacts to that addiction.

Love the way you put it "Not even you are above the laws of nature" :D

Yeah, but if there's no signs of addiction, relapse, etc, then there's no addiction. There may be chemicals, but if i don't react to their loss, then it's no physical addiction.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Everyone is aware of the health benefits of smoking.

If you wanna smoke, smoke. If you don't don't.

We're all adults here (physically, anyway), you make your choices and play the cards you've been dealt. In this game of poker, you can't cheat, & the house always wins :D

Each to their own.

tris-

you dont add weight from quitting smoking.
you add weight from quitting smoking AND filling that time with consuming calories. in the form of cake, chocolate etc as youre craving some endorphins and cakes etc will give that.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
you dont add weight from quitting smoking.
you add weight from quitting smoking AND filling that time with consuming calories. in the form of cake, chocolate etc as youre craving some endorphins and cakes etc will give that.

that not quite true,
Even if you keep the exact same diet you did prior to smoking and keep the exact same physical habbits, you will "most likely" put on wieght

this is due to the simple fact that nicotine increases your metabolism rate by up to 10%

but sure ofcause, if you appart from smoking otherwise live on a low fat low carb diet, and you might even have a naturally high metabolism to begin with
even prior to picking up the smoking habbit, well then sure, the risk off added fat is low, but often this isnt the case. and wieght alone isnt a bad thing, it's what kind of wieght you put on. aka fat bad, muscles good.. ect as long as you dont over do it ofc.

but yes, if you have a normal or low metabolism by nature and have been a smoker for a number of years and quit cold turkey without taking procautions you Will! most likely add on fat. ofc your metabolism should at some point with in a year even it self out and you will/should at some point, stop putting on fat.

tris-

that not quite true,
Even if you keep the exact same diet you did prior to smoking and keep the exact same physical habbits, you will "most likely" put on wieght

this is due to the simple fact that nicotine increases your metabolism rate by up to 10%

"RMR increases of 6% above base line after both moderate and low doses were significantly greater than the 3% increase after the placebo."

6% isnt much and a placebo with no nicotine still raised metabolism by 3%.

Acute effects of nicotine on resting metabolic rate in cigarette smokers -- Perkins et al. 50 (3): 545 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

that was using a lot of nicotine too. a shed load more than in a cigarette.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
this bit is what i find interesting
These results confirm that intake of nicotine, isolated from tobacco smoke, significantly increases RMR in humans. However, the results also indicate that non-pharmacological, behavioral aspects of smoking may also contribute to acutely increasing RMR in smokers.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Sometimes I smoke, other times I don't.

I might go a week without smoking and then insted use snuff or nothing at all... besides weed to fall a sleep.
I think I've become more addicted to coffee the last year though.

tris-

Heard this from a lot of people, who all claim they're not addicted, but yet...need weed to fall asleep?

ive always had sleep problems even before i smoked that. and i found after smoking it i can fall asleep more easiliy but i dont need it to fall asleep.

echome didnt say need either.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
cup of tea and a wank, thats all you need to get yourself a good nights sleep...

i have not had a cig for 2 days, i _could_ go an dhave one but mainly i smoke when i am out drinking, the gf on the other hand goes all wappy when she aint had a cig for 30 minutes.... i suppose it affects people in different ways

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I quit smoking 7 years ago after smoking for years (started at the age of 18 I think). Smoked up to 60 fags a day for stress relief and ... well... it was kind of a habit.
Then I decided to quit smoking and never smoked again since then. Didn´t have any turkey effects, no mood changes no nothing. I just quit and that was that.

tris-

Smoked up to 60 fags a day for stress relief .

60 a day would probably cause me stress!
thats about £15 in smoking, never mind not being able to taste, breath, smell, or have time to do anything else.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
60 a day would probably cause me stress!
thats about £15 in smoking, never mind not being able to taste, breath, smell, or have time to do anything else.

I stopped last week, and reckon on saving over £300 per month on cigs, and probably about another £100 from not buying so much beer to wash away the cigarette taste :ninja:

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol i have on average 2 a day (sometimes just one sometimes...rarely though i have 3) i never get the thing where im like "I must have a fag" or "oh god i need a fag" i have one after lunchtime and one in the evening after supper, i dont like smoking on the street i'd prefer to be sat at home with a cup of tea than stood outside somewhere because im 'not allowed' to smoke inside.

i was at a training course for work the other week and some woman got all pious with me about my smoking, saying about how unhealthy i was etc etc and i really felt like bitch slapping her as i suspect i am actually healthier than her and also that i have a hell of a lot more will power and self control.

i think when you become a slave to a habit its time to give it up, we're all told every day how addicitve smoking is and we believe it, i cut down and didnt have a single problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom