not able to choose name (duplicate)

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
I just deleted one of my chars, so I could start a new char with the same name, but it says the name is a duplicate. I have done this many times before with no problem. Anyone know what the problem is, or how long I have to wait before I can use the name again?

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
probably someone else who took the name after you had deleted, it has happened before specially if you transfered stuff from the character u deleted and someone saw this.

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
It's possible, but highly unlikely. My guess is there is a char on excalibur with the same name as my prydwen char, and once one of us delete our char/name, we cannot use it again.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Shafu said:
It's possible, but highly unlikely. My guess is there is a char on excalibur with the same name as my prydwen char, and once one of us delete our char/name, we cannot use it again.

Havn't played in a while, but you can duskwave your chars name on excal? Possibility i think

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Shafu said:
Correct.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Shafu said:

ahh didnt think of this, ofc its why u cant take the name

Ransome

Fledgling Freddie
I heard somewhere that is it when the first time your "Your Character has beenSaved" comes up in chatlog, then the name is "stored", and cannot be used again.

Maybe you have created a character, but deleted it again fast, before the "Your Character has been saved" pops up. Then its possible to make another 1 with same name.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My friend had a char called Gingerbreadman, a few weeks later someone else had the name as well (both on Camlann) so he kept receiveing weird PM's from ppl trying to contact the other guy.

in the end i think he got the other guys name changed

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, for a while the checks weren't working. There were two Heretics called Artaith on Prydwen for a while.

Now I've found every character I delete has the name taken, presumably on Excalibur, this didn't used to be the case. I got caught by it recently when I deleted characters on my two accounts and tried to swap them, ended up having to get new named on both.

Darzil

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
My friend had a char called Gingerbreadman, a few weeks later someone else had the name as well (both on Camlann) so he kept receiveing weird PM's from ppl trying to contact the other guy.

in the end i think he got the other guys name changed

happened to me too, someone had the same name as my old SB. was a odd experience :p

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
Oboy said:
probably someone else who took the name after you had deleted, it has happened before specially if you transfered stuff from the character u deleted and someone saw this.

Like the bugger who has taken Knigthood/Quarterstaff and Loudmouth from me q_q. Its also something to do with the database i think, sometimes names get corrupted, is annoying tbh as i wanted to rename my new skald Loudmouth again but to no-avail :(

Also long time ago i had a female mincer named Stunsong , deleted her and now theres a male Stunsong running about, who isnt me, i dont mind ofc , but aye sometimes people just have the same brilliant vision :)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
remember when I played and one of my friends went mad on me for ignoring him, my main character for 2 years had been named Iceforge and someone took the name Iceforged for their new SB, anoyed me a bloody lot. Then a bit later I took a short break and came back to find him in the same guild as me, nearly pissed me off :p

so confusing in guildchat where you usually use short terms for each other instead of full character name :p

Moaning Myrtle

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I am concerned, GoA should delete any account that has been inactive for more than two years. That would free up a massive selection of names for reuse. it seems completely unfair to me that some superb character names cannot be used because some n00b used it 5 years ago, then decided to quit :(

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Moaning Myrtle said:
As far as I am concerned, GoA should delete any account that has been inactive for more than two years. That would free up a massive selection of names for reuse. it seems completely unfair to me that some superb character names cannot be used because some n00b used it 5 years ago, then decided to quit :(

it also remove's the hope that they may return

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Moaning Myrtle said:
If they haven't come back after a two year absence then how likely is it that they will?

the chance's arn't good, ill give you that... but still possible... and just for a name? werid...

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Moaning Myrtle said:
If they haven't come back after a two year absence then how likely is it that they will?

I've met quite a few people coming back after a long absence.

Does no one else talk to the people they randomly meet? Seems like there are lots of players who never meet people coming back or starting new, and I meet em pretty often.

Darzil

Bean

Fledgling Freddie
Not very likely but it happens, Now to re learn all i have forgotten <sigh>.

Good to be back though :)

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Since you probably play on a cluster, someone on another server have the same name, then you can't create a char with that name...even you had that name on your character.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
I would change the character transfer rules a bit. To a 2 step process.

1st: Delete and package
This step should be free and should work without active subscribtion, the character is saved into a heavily encrypted and signed file, with strong signature AND at this state deleted from the server.

2nd: Install
This step would allow you to copy the packaged character to a server (with new name) you would pay for it, they would validate the character and would check to make sure you don't duplicate characters (each package would have an unique ID).

For inactive accounts: The packaging would be automatic (and they can keep archives on other servers) and people would get a huge discount for getting their characters back.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Tbh, wtf is a name going to do?

Will it get you rr10? No

Will it get you ml10 and all your artis? No

Will it increase your e-peen slightly. Maybe

But surely having the other two options above would increase your e-peen more than a silly name would?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
After cluster I wasnt' able to delete and make a char with the same name even on the same realm/server of the cluster.

*goes back to playing in BG on US classic*

Thadius

Part of the furniture
After cluster I wasnt' able to delete and make a char with the same name even on the same realm/server of the cluster.

*goes back to playing in BG on US classic*

Pay my subs, ill join you ;(

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The lack of available names is a bit annoying, it would be nice if Mythic looked into this so people wouldn't have to create such ridiculous new names!

Relax the cluster naming restrictions a bit to start, if Bob-Excalibur hasn't logged in for 12 months then anyone else can create Bob-Prydwen. Maybe allow the same for people from different realms, if Bob-Excalibur from Albion hasn't logged in for 12 months then someone from Hibernia could create Bob-Excalibur.

Both of these cases shouldn't cause too many problems and would probably free up a large number of names for reuse. Occasionally you may have two people with the same name if a player returns, but they'd still be unique for their realm on the cluster.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I heard somewhere that is it when the first time your "Your Character has beenSaved" comes up in chatlog, then the name is "stored", and cannot be used again.

Maybe you have created a character, but deleted it again fast, before the "Your Character has been saved" pops up. Then its possible to make another 1 with same name.

nah, i have deleted lvl 30+ toons and reused the names so thats not it :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The lack of available names is a bit annoying, it would be nice if Mythic looked into this so people wouldn't have to create such ridiculous new names!

Relax the cluster naming restrictions a bit to start, if Bob-Excalibur hasn't logged in for 12 months then anyone else can create Bob-Prydwen. Maybe allow the same for people from different realms, if Bob-Excalibur from Albion hasn't logged in for 12 months then someone from Hibernia could create Bob-Excalibur.

Both of these cases shouldn't cause too many problems and would probably free up a large number of names for reuse. Occasionally you may have two people with the same name if a player returns, but they'd still be unique for their realm on the cluster.

lol.....

no, for quite obvious reasons :) much the same as the housing proposal.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I think you should be allowed to have spaces in your name. How much memory does a blank ASCII char take up ? 8 bits ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom