Not a happy bunny

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Firstly hi everybody, not posted in a looonng time, good to see the old diehards still shouting into the void.

Woke up this morning with bells palsy which is a thankfully temporary total freakin loss of the movement one side of my face.
I look like and advert for stroke rehabilitation, I'm drooling, spilling drinks and can't close one eye.
I'm talking like someone who's had 5 root canals in one sitting and had the cocaine injections too match
Anyone else had it?

Laddey

FH is my second home
sounds nasty man. dont know anything about it but get well soon! :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
that sounds bloody awful. at least its temporary or you'd have to start applying for jobs in bell towers.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
And they've given me 18 cortisone tablets to take in one sitting... so I popped the lot in my mouth and was concentrating so much on getting a good swallow in that I forgot my limp lips..took a big swig and they all fell out on the floor.

Bwaaaaah!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Wow, thats harsh. I'd completely freak out if that happened to me.

Hope it goes soon!

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Ouch :( I hope it goes away soon, that sound scary!

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
And they've given me 18 cortisone tablets to take in one sitting... so I popped the lot in my mouth and was concentrating so much on getting a good swallow in that I forgot my limp lips..took a big swig and they all fell out on the floor.

Bwaaaaah!
owned :/

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Firstly hi everybody, not posted in a looonng time, good to see the old diehards still shouting into the void.

Woke up this morning with bells palsy which is a thankfully temporary total freakin loss of the movement one side of my face.
I look like and advert for stroke rehabilitation, I'm drooling, spilling drinks and can't close one eye.
I'm talking like someone who's had 5 root canals in one sitting and had the cocaine injections too match
Anyone else had it?

Hay matey, yes i know exactly what your on about because B2 got it a few years ago, sadly his face never fully recovered and h still cant do a kissy face properly BUT the one thing that helped him was accupuncture, it was pretty nasty and hurt a bit but i'd say get it done ASAP because he was like it for months and then had it done and it sorted itsself out after a week or so, so dont put yourself through it long term because i have a feeling that its because it was left so long is why his face never really returned to normal (though i think its cute)

Also get yourself some hypramellows eye drops that are just artificial tears and will stop your eye from drying out because B couldnt close his eye properly either, also he said it made stuff taste funny, so if you get that dont panic. Did you go to a DR btw?

Take care matey and dont get down about it, its not nice but i reckon if you go get accupunctured asap youll be right ok?

xxx

Vae

Resident Freddy
Missed this thread when it was posted as I don't frequent OT that much. Coincidentally was diagnosed with Bells Palsy myself just over 2 weeks ago cue an immediate trip to A&E.

Amongst the research I did I found Bell's Palsy InfoSite & Forums: Bells Palsy / Facial Paralysis FAQs quite useful for info.

As it's a diagnosis of exclusion (i.e. it's not everything else it could be so we're left with this), there's no common cause or correct treatment but the generally accepted treatment seems to be Steroids (mainly prednisone) and Anti Viral drugs (Mainly Aciclovir). There are indications it's linked to a viral infection (commonly the herpes virus) which infects the nerve canal running behind the ear in a bony channel and this causes swelling which damages the nerve (Cranial Nerve 7) because it can't avoid the swelling due to being in the bony channel.

I'm interested to know how your condition is now because after 2.5 weeks I'm only showing small signs of improvement so far and it can take weeks/months to recover fully/mostly because you are waiting for the nerve to regrow.

Botox will only help with residual effects once you reach the end of your recovery (however long that takes) in conjunction with muscle exercise to retrain your face muscles.

I would be hesitant about suggesting acupuncture, especially at an early stage, although I don't doubt that it helped Ezteq's other half. It may help at a later stage of the recovery to help the nerve reestablish connections. It can't hurt but the information I've read has not indicated any help from acupuncture in clinical studies either - i think it will come down to individual's.

I would suggest following the medical advice you're being given for at least a while before seeking alternative treatments. Also read up on teh subject and make sure you understand it so that you can evaluate the treatment you're being given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom