Nostalgia

lathoniel

Fledgling Freddie
Just coming to this site overwhelms me with happiness.

Three years of caning one single game, quitting two jobs and a girlfriend to find the time to play, wakeing up at 4am in the morning and sleeping some weird 32 hours later and now, two years after giving it up, all i have are its memories...

The sunset over AMG (my 10th cup of coffee and the sunrise in my window), the flying of arrows and bolts, aoe, the popping of shadow blades, 1v1's, the Mid Zerg charging MMG, buffbot LD'ing at inapropriate times and ofc ... the last man standing after a zerg bloodbath. memories that bring a sweet smile and a feeling of pure warmth to my belly, nostalgia eh!

God, i loved this game and i miss it much; R.I.P. DAOC, you gave me the weirdest, strangest and most enjoyable time of my non-rl life.

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
Mid zerg? I assume you are thinking back to Pryd precluster? ^^

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Could not have said it better myself.. I play WoW now, but I miss DAoC almost every day still..

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Think I've tried WoW about 10 times now, just can't get passed the god awful cartoon graphics, I'm still not sure what the hell to play in the precious free time I allow myself to sit at the computer these days :)

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Omg, Poon! Didnt see it was you who replied there. As if this post weren't already about nostalgia lol. Hi man :)

censi

Can't get enough of FH
coming back to this site makes me sad. because a once great game and community has sunk because the company running it couldnt be arsed to solve a problem.

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
I have some nostalgia too, i m no thinking in daoc in my irl life, but sometimes, each 6 months or so, i dream and remember some good old moments, my in game friends, my black list, those fights in OF.... I steped in my real life, left all the online games to work +8 hours daily... all is OK but sometimes i have some nostalgia because GOA didnt work properly and let our servers die slowly. A game that i will remember all my life.

Salutes to all the players of this game. (to my black list too, specially manisch and his crew :p)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
nostalgia isnt what it used to be :p

despite all thats happened ive got great memories of daoc and loved it, would come back in a flash if there was anyone to play with on prydwen these days :p

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
WTB daoc server emulator with 1.36 running! :(

Man,i would sell my soul for that,or move back to feb 15 02 when daoc europe started and experience all that again :)
Hmm,where's the nearest black hole?

Afran

Part of the furniture
Duo'd recently 1-50 the old way, no crafted gear no quests no instances, levelled in Mithra Tombs etc :D Was great fun for the memories.

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Got back here due to the warhammer advert and man, it was a real nostalgia trip to read the threads, recognize a couple of names and so on :)

After 3+ years with wow it will be fun to see what sort of crowd warhammer will draw, fingers fucking crossed for the daoc community over the wow one:p

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
aprox 2 million lightyears away :)

Good guess, but...
v4641.graphic.jpg

Haxyn Kyao

Fledgling Freddie
OMG its me HAXY!!!! the infamous troll shaman :D whats people doing now DAoC is kidna dead i ended up in WoW, (it bores me no keep seiges plus i cant stick to pip with my warlock and own everyone :( or fully heal bluesky and the crew on a bridge or follow durgi about while Relic raiding :( oh i remember them good ol' days)

Syri

FH is my second home
just think, if there'd been no /level, and toa had been introduced in the state it's at now, there'd probably be a steady flow of people still playing daoc... mythic sure knew how to drive people away... toa drove em all off good and proper

Marc

FH is my second home
It was so special for most people because it was their first bite of the MMORPG apple.

Lucius

Banned
I know my post will be quite controversial but I'd like to view my thoughts, and hopefully see what other people think about them.

"Nostalgia" is a funny word. In the context of this thread, it basically means that one wishes to return to the "good olde days", when things were "better". That's what gets me really. I recently played a bit of instant50 RvR freeshard, which for those who don't know about it, is a shard where you play in Old Emain and Hadrians Wall. Whilst playing it I realised that the "good olde days" were, at best, just the same as today.

Same old zergs, same old high RR groups ganking everyone, same old 1337 groups that never let you in, same old grinding to get the best equipment. For me, nostalgia is one big illusion. But that doesn't get round the problem. Even for someone like me, who doesn't believe in nostalgia, still feels that things were better before. I don't know why this is, when I think about it I remember that the game was just like it is now.

It's the people that change, not the game changing. It's the people that leave, not the game going to shit. It's the people loosing interest, not the game getting worse. It's the people finding new things in their life, not the game running out of ideas.

Sure I'd like to return to the "good olde days", and I say that honestly.

Whether I would choose it to stay that way? That, I cannot tell :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom