Rant Norton Security Scan

Gray

FH is my second home
This is being annoying to fuck at the moment, the bastard thing keeps installing itself automatically onto my computer without even saying anything.

At first i thought it was one of the kids who did it, but i really don't think it is.

Each and everytime it has come on, i have checked the internet history and the websites have only been general stuff, but instead is has somehow installed itself.

Each and everytime i close it down, and go into Add/Remove to remove it, when i do the program is gone, but it ends up coming back showing no consistancy with where and when it does it.

norton01.jpg

Note the UI doesn't have any button to close it down, if you right mouse click > close on the bars it won't respond. The only way you can is by CAD'ing it, but then it brings up:

norton02.jpg

When you close that down, then uninstall it, Symantec are nice enough enough to redirect your web browser to go to their special NSS website

norton03.jpg

Bunch of dirty underhanded fucks they are, when i've done a search for this, it looks like its happened to quite a lot of people. It last happened last night so i went into the registry to delete some Symantec entries, but it seems to have not worked.

Attachments

• norton01.jpg
    norton01.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • norton02.jpg
    norton02.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Norton03.jpg
    Norton03.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1

Gray

FH is my second home
Looking at the task scheduler now, but i can't actually see anything relating to Norton, Symantec or the NSStub.

Went into Services but didn't see anything in there either.

Bear in mind though i'm on Windows 7, the guide there was for XP and Vista, but even then, things shouldn't be that drastically changed to make it hidden.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Step 1. Uninstall Norton
Step 2. Install MSE
Step 3. Wonder why you ever bothered with the steaming pile of AIDS that is Norton in the first place.
Step 4. Thank Trem.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Looking at the task scheduler now, but i can't actually see anything relating to Norton, Symantec or the NSStub.

Went into Services but didn't see anything in there either.

Bear in mind though i'm on Windows 7, the guide there was for XP and Vista, but even then, things shouldn't be that drastically changed to make it hidden.

Right-click the task "NSSStub" and click "Delete." If you are running Windows Vista or 7, click "Task Scheduler Library" on the left side of the screen to locate NSSStub. Click "Yes" in the confirmation box that appears, then close the Task Scheduler.

Read more: How to Remove Norton Security Scan | eHow.com How to Remove Norton Security Scan | eHow.com

Syri

FH is my second home
There's also a tool norton made called Norton Removal Tool. They had to make it because they made their installers so badly that they couldn't remove the very programs they installed. Might be worth running that through and see if it picks up any loose ends left behind.

Gray

FH is my second home
Step 1. Uninstall Norton
Step 2. Install MSE
Step 3. Wonder why you ever bothered with the steaming pile of AIDS that is Norton in the first place.
Step 4. Thank Trem.

Noo thats what i'm saying. I don't use Norton. I haven't touched anything Norton in about 3-4 years and not on this computer.

Somehow, it just seems to install itself each and everytime without any authorisation or confirmation, the box just pops up of its own accord.

I have checked and double checked the task scheduler and i can't see anything relating to Norton either. I found the collapsable folders which lists a lot of programs, but none of them again show it.

Attachments

• tasksched.jpg
    tasksched.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 6

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
A lot of freeware programs come with this shit now (either norton or mcafee). What have you recently installed?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Noo thats what i'm saying. I don't use Norton. I haven't touched anything Norton in about 3-4 years and not on this computer.

Ahhh got ya, sorry didn't read properly.

Kryten

Old Cow.
The norton removal tool is NoNav/CLeanwipe - tiny util that takes half an hour to remove all traces of shit from your PC.

Gray

FH is my second home
Will try that now doing full run of it.

Is it normal for it to make your current antivirus (in my case Avast!) go backshit crazy when you're trying to run it? I assume it is since it would be affecting an antivirus program, but alas...

Also regarding the program installs which might piggyback this Norton product, it crossed my mind since i seen somewhere else reporting it.

Coincidentally i did update Adobe not long ago, however i'm always careful about adding any extras. I recall back to the days of things like Yahoo toolbar etc, so i'm always wary in that sense.

But even then, during the update process i would have assumed that Norton would pop up instantly - This hasn't been the case though, it just randomly appears all of it's own accord.

Still, maybe this CleanWipe will be the end of it now, but i guess i will never truely know until it happens again, if it ever does...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Norton should be classified as a virus. It is awful.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Norton and McAfee are both exponents of this shit; its usually bundled with something else (Adobe are a particular culprit) and if you forget to uncheck the (hidden below the fold, in a pile of other checkboxes) install box, you end up with this crap. I've done it to myself a few times, usually when I've been in a hurry to do an update on one of the various PCs in the house and haven't been paying attention. At least McAfee is usually fairly easy to remove, Norton's a right pain in the arse.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm thinking of going back to F-secure when I get my new PC. The Microshaft Insecurity Essentials is a bit of a resource hog (but then again, my current PC is a pile of shite...)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Really? MS security essentials works perfectly fine on my acer one netbook so shouldnt be a problem for a regular pc!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
MSE is a nothing in terms of resources. Your choice obviously but I don't see any benefit.

Gray

FH is my second home
Well it went and installed itself once again, bastard thing. Bear in mind i used that removal tool a few days ago which said there was nothing there on it.

It seems to be happening every Sunday looking at when i first posted this message here, roughly around the same time.

I checked the task scheduler and NOW it's showing up in the tasks. Not as "NSStub" as it says though, but just as "Norton Security Scan for Alan". This maybe because last week i uninstalled the program without checking task scheduler first, but according to the guide Norton provided i seemed to have done it right first time anyway, by uninstalling and then deleting the schedule (But there wasn't any).

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
There is no software problem so big that FDISK can't get rid of. :)

If it's a laptop, use the recovery system to reinstall from factory defaults.
If it's a desktop, just blitz the drive and reinstall your OS.

Quicker and easier than faffing around for hours trying to make sure that every little scrap of Norton is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom