Noob question about estate agents...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
If I went down say tuesday morning and popped in to book 4-5 viewings for tuesday & wednesday (going back wednesday night) are most estate agents going to be cool with doing that on such short notice or am I going to have to book miles ahead?

The problem is - the place we want to move to is 200 miles away and my car won't make said journey. Train prices are a bitch unless you book specific seats at specific times.

So if I was to zoom zoom down on a pre-booked set of trains & try my luck with viewings with half a day to one days notice how lucky am I going to be?

Also, when you are looking at places to rent and they say 'avaliable now' I am guessing that infact there is likely to be noone in the house at all? So a viewing asap should be no problem? I don't want to walk in some guy boning his hot wife...or do I...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Different agents are different. Ring them first to see if they'd be able to help you like that or you could have a wasted journey.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, phone in advance, most estate agents seem pretty flexible, but they do generally need a few days notice, I would imagine they are quite busy at the moment with so many repossessed houses on the market, and a lot of people interested in buy to let.

We moved a similar distance a few years ago, and the agent actually booked in two full days to show us properties in the areas we were interested in and actually did some groundwork to find us accessible properties to view (my wife is in a chair). They were very helpful, but then given the commision they take, you would expect that.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Short notice viewings will not be a problem, I would however suggest hitting gumtree findaproperty.com etc at least a day before going down. Contact those agencies with places available that you are interested in and see what else they can show you.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Rented properties are going fast at the moment because of the new academic year. Assuming you are looking for student accommodation then asking to see something a long way in advance is silly (they will have gone or be so awful you don't want them). Alot of the accommodation may have people living in still (although they are often not around).

Also I believe most estate agents like to give tenants 24 hours notice that people may be coming to visit so I would suggest looking online a day or two before you travel and phoning up to make some viewings.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Normally I'm very independent but I must say, I am rather terrified of the whole process of finding somewhere to live; moving in; having to sort out the bills etc etc.

I am going up later this week. Thanks for the advice people :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Bugz when you find somewhere to live the agents will charge you an "admin fee", this is commonly one weeks rent. Now the actual costs they incur are far lower than this, it's basically another stream of income for them. You'll have to pay some of it, but best to haggle with them.

Tilda

Bugz, not going halls? What uni etc, let me know!
Anywhere london is insane, you basically go there for a day, see what comes on the market that day/day before, and go view, if you dont like it you go back the next day etc. The nice stuff usually goes the same day.

Out of london, especially with student towns, things come and go a bit slower. Although I have to say, we're renting one of our rooms out to a student and sorted it all out a few months back - that said though, he wasn't waiting for results etc so there isn't a huge amount you can do. Does your uni have accommodation days? Also worth touring around student areas, some LL's dont use agents and just have posters in a window - we found our current place that way which meant we just deal direct with the LL.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I hate estate agents who have 'national' numbers where you leave your details and they call you back.

I just want to talk to a human being at the estate agent lol.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Make sure you actually read the form and the small print then. Lots treat them as mere formalities and fair enough, most times they are just that. It's the odd one or two that can really get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom