Noise!!

FoxeH

One of Freddy's beloved
Ok so i've got a Radeon 9600pro, and it's bloody noisy! It wasn't when I first got it, but the continued nock about of my PC seems to have made the fan make an extremely loud noise when spinning. I can't take it anymore! I disabled the fan on the card by taking out the small wire that goes from the card to the fan and it's actually very quiet...

I was just wondering if this would do any damage at all? I bought another fan that slots into the PCI slot next to my graphics card to try and compensate for disabling the Gfx card fan. Will this be enough?

This noise is really, REALLY annoying! Somehow, wearing headphnes seems to make it louder and I can hear it through music. Sometimes I just wanna kick it!Oh and I can't afford another Gfx card. :)

Thanks!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if u cant afford another G card id put that fan back on there before it burns out.

lostone

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like the fan is broke... if it was more silent before.. maybe the stuff that enables it to turn around ( dunno the english word ;< ) is broke... happened to my PSU fan, that shit made more noice than a ferrari doing 200 mph in a tunnel

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
From most electrical stores you can get cans of compressed air. Get one of those and use it to blow out any dust/crap that might have got into the bearings. If that doesn't solve it you can get aftermarket graphics card coolers from enthusiast sites. You can either get a replacement fan or if you have cash to burn a heatpipe/passive cooling setup. It's important to get one that's rated for your card and not just the cheapest one on the site otherwise you'll burn the gpu chip out and then you're looking at a whole new card rather than a ten quid fan.

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
another option is what i did with my old card when it rattled lots is to give it a squirt of WD-40 or switch cleaner. but you can replace the fan but if you have one slotted into the pci slot next to the gfx card it should suffice as long as the fan is pointing at the spot where the old fan was.

Users who are viewing this thread