No Sound from DVS's

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
As title says, i get sound from everything else (games, music, downloads) but not DVD's. Checked regional settings and they are fine, checked drivers and they seem fine, downloaded a few recommended codecs and still nothing. Any ideas???

Hmm why can't i edit title???

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Did it use to play on DVDs ?

Now I am not sure you need to do this anymore, but did you connect the audio out from DVD drive (Optical Drive) to audio in on the Soundcard (or audio in on motherboard if using on board sound).

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Chances are you are missing an AC3 compatiable codec. Most off the shelf DVD player software has it integrated but freeware like VLC player will not IIRC.

The best option is AC3Filter. It can be obtained at AC3Filter

p.s. You should never install a codec unless you definetly know that you need it and it is from a trusted source. Codec packs etc are bloatware and should be avoided. Applicaitons like GSpot and videoinspector can be used to identify which codecs are required for .avi,.vob, etc.. files.

Skar, you are likely referring to the digital output (S/PDIF connector) on the back of the physical DVD/CDROM drive. This connector is actually highly desirable but does require a soundcard with a corresponding S/PDIF input connector. If your soundcard does not support this sound/music is still obtained but it is passed as normal data via the normal SATA/IDE connection with all the other data.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Skar, you are likely referring to the digital output (S/PDIF connector) on the back of the physical DVD/CDROM drive. This connector is actually highly desirable but does require a soundcard with a corresponding S/PDIF input connector. If your soundcard does not support this sound/music is still obtained but it is passed as normal data via the normal SATA/IDE connection with all the other data.

mm, well ive certainly had music cd's that wont play unless that connector is in place between the SC and DVD drive. I really was under the impression that it was required to play 'raw' music tracks (as on music cd's and some video game cd's) for all cards, but i'm prepared to be corrected ;)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Depends on how old your PC is. All modern OS's can handle audio data streamed through the interface cable (either IDE or SATA). If your PC is really old (and I mean really old! 10+ years) or you want the audio signal direct to your sound output then there is up to two sound outputs on an optical drive. One digital and one analog. Modern Drives often will not have both.

You might remember older PC optical drives having a play button on them? Back then if the output was directly connected to a sound output the drive could play music cds without the OS booted when hitting the 'play' button on the front of the drive.

The main audio formats used with retail DVDs are AC3, PCM and mp2 which are all capable of being passed through the standard interface cable.

If audio CD's will not play using windows media player then you may have a problem with the hardware, cables or audio drivers on your PC. Otherwise it will almost certainly be a codec issue.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
Depends on how old your PC is. All modern OS's can handle audio data streamed through the interface cable (either IDE or SATA). If your PC is really old (and I mean really old! 10+ years) or you want the audio signal direct to your sound output then there is up to two sound outputs on an optical drive. One digital and one analog. Modern Drives often will not have both.

You might remember older PC optical drives having a play button on them? Back then if the output was directly connected to a sound output the drive could play music cds without the OS booted when hitting the 'play' button on the front of the drive.

The main audio formats used with retail DVDs are AC3, PCM and mp2 which are all capable of being passed through the standard interface cable.

If audio CD's will not play using windows media player then you may have a problem with the hardware, cables or audio drivers on your PC. Otherwise it will almost certainly be a codec issue.

will open it up and have a look, tried videoinspector but its no good for DVD's as it cant find the files. Its pointing more and more towards a cable issue tbh, plus comp is only 1 year old and good spec

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried playing a standard music cd? If that works it aint a cable issue.

will open it up and have a look, tried videoinspector but its no good for DVD's as it cant find the files. Its pointing more and more towards a cable issue tbh, plus comp is only 1 year old and good spec

GSpot handles the vob files that will be present on the DVD. Just browse the dvd and check the largest .vob file that you find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom