No quite Daoc. but not realy off-topic.(a Former EQ addict tells his story)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'm sorry but he has issues, anyone who ignores thier wife and kids for a game like that, sets up a pot so he doesn't have to go to the loo?

It's a sad tale and I'm betting there's probably a few DAOC out there who are like this or have nothing in thier lives except DAOC and work (or school/college/uni). Perhaps some of them might wake up and go outside now and then instead of taking days of work to camp artis, cancelling trips to the pub (idiots!) to go on ML raids etc.

However I do think the guy is ultimately just a sad person and whether it regrets it or not it's his own fault.

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
There will allways be ppl who cant controll themselfs, same goes for everything.

kladen

Fledgling Freddie
im not surpised that there wont be people like this, maybe not as extreme but cancelling plans to play. ive seen it happen in WoW. and i heard of someone who quit his job to play WoW more.

Jox

Fledgling Freddie

Do you think that the companies behind these games have some sort of responsibility? If not, who is responsible for it? And how should the society treat mmorg-addicted people?

DavidH

Part of the furniture
This has nothing to do with just a game though. Some people just get addicted to stuff easier. I have a few in my family who works at a big detox clinic, and I hear it so often. People who easily get addicted to stuff, usually get the same reaction to other well known addicive things.

Say you have a problem with a game like this. There is a very great chance that you will have trouble controlling your drinking, or even drug usage.

When it all comes down to it. This is something that happens once in a million. Some people can't handle it. Others have a natural way of dealing with it. Like putting up a schedule on when to play. Like me, I work around anything from 3 to 10 hours a day. I come home, take a shower, grab dinner. Play for 30 min - 3 hours. Then go on with normal stuff like having a conversation with the family or watch some tv with friends. Sometimes I don't even play at all. I used to play during the weekends, now I'd rather go out.

So anyway, thats me. Felt like opening up a little ;)

kladen

Fledgling Freddie
you should read down, someone took his life coz of it.

i feel sorry for this guy, if there are any people in daoc like this then they need to take into account that this game does end at some point meaning your RR10 whatever will count for nothing, as if it never existed no one will care or know IRL and it holds no value at all, effectively yourll have wasted those hours for nothing. and taking so much effort for items and stuff... its just text on a screen why pass up time to do something more full-filling than go after something that isnt even real....

i was getting to an addictive phase during my first year of daoc but i quit just before it happened and started playing on and off every month or so

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
kladen said:
you should read down, someone took his life coz of it.

i feel sorry for this guy, if there are any people in daoc like this then they need to take into account that this game does end at some point meaning your RR10 whatever will count for nothing, as if it never existed no one will care or know IRL and it holds no value at all, effectively yourll have wasted those hours for nothing. and taking so much effort for items and stuff... its just text on a screen why pass up time to do something more full-filling than go after something that isnt even real....

i was getting to an addictive phase during my first year of daoc but i quit just before it happened and started playing on and off every month or so

I believe they mother setup the board cause her son died of gaming (have not read her story, but says she is founder of OLGA),

Bit below there is a topic about a guy played daoc and wonder if he can return http://p198.ezboard.com/folgafrm4.showMessage?topicID=333.topic

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
some people can get really addicted and bnot control them selves. But like sum1 said in that thread u gotta recognise the problem. I myself was heaviyl addicted to DAOC when i was 17 and it really fucked me up for about a year, i drifted away from some friends. At the time i didnt care but it really wasnt good. Only after did i recognise the problem and it aint so bad, i knew i had to get the addiction outta my blood so i delibraetly started doing things that meant i culdnt play daoc, i even went travelling alone for 3 months to asia, partly for fun and experience. But deepdown partly because i knew i had missed out on some vital things and i needed to catch up in that respect. These days i am fine and can play 3-4 hours a evenings 4-5 days a week and rl will alwlways take priority over daoc.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
The best you can do as a relative is to let the person realise the misstake like that guy did after some months.

Sooner or later the addiction stops and the game gets boring.

I myself have thrown away 80% of the past 4 years in school due to DAoC. I suppose I would have done different now when I look back upon it. But no chance in hell I'll stop playing games because of something like that. All I lost was a few years of education.. :p I'm still young, nothing I can't catch up with.

I suppose my life could have been ruined like that as well if I were 10 yrs older and hand a job, wife and children.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i used to be addicted heavily to DAOC, i have lost 3 girlfriends to the game, cammy widows my mates joke about it.

I took a year off and came back and i am now a casual gamer i play only if i got nothing else to do, if i make plans at the last minute to go to the pub then i will go regardless what i am doing ingame

snushanen

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
This has nothing to do with just a game though. Some people just get addicted to stuff easier. I have a few in my family who works at a big detox clinic, and I hear it so often. People who easily get addicted to stuff, usually get the same reaction to other well known addicive things.

Say you have a problem with a game like this. There is a very great chance that you will have trouble controlling your drinking, or even drug usage.

When it all comes down to it. This is something that happens once in a million. Some people can't handle it. Others have a natural way of dealing with it. Like putting up a schedule on when to play. Like me, I work around anything from 3 to 10 hours a day. I come home, take a shower, grab dinner. Play for 30 min - 3 hours. Then go on with normal stuff like having a conversation with the family or watch some tv with friends. Sometimes I don't even play at all. I used to play during the weekends, now I'd rather go out.

Some vice words there m8. Different people have different reactions to anything, this goes for MMORPG addictivity too. I feel sorry for those guys posting their stories and it is easy for us to say "omg he gotta learn to controll his life". But just as with drugs it isnt that easy for somebody.

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Every1 is responsible for what he does.
Not another person, and certainly not a game.
If my soon to be wife (2may) asks me do somthing together ill try my best to make it happen. For that reason alone , u will most likey never see me in daoc on saturdays unless its late in the evening, saturdays we go away together to town, the sea, whatever, in the week we work, and in the evenings there is a lot on tv or she gets online herself.

Ppl need to know where to draw the line, ive played games since i was 6, 18y later i still play as much as now, but i never forget the ppl around me.
I think the best thing some1 heavely addicted can do is find a women who is the same. If you play and ahve fun together in fe daoc, then er is no problem right.

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
snushanen said:
Some vice words there m8. Different people have different reactions to anything, this goes for MMORPG addictivity too. I feel sorry for those guys posting their stories and it is easy for us to say "omg he gotta learn to controll his life". But just as with drugs it isnt that easy for somebody.

drugs?
dont start it, easy as that.

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
DavidH said:

I think it's true to say that the odds of a player having a serious enough problem to be considered addicted is fairly low, main thing is to fit it in with the rest of your life and not just dump life :p

I've been at the heavy end of playing, 8-16 hours a day, although I rarely took time off work for a raid etc, maybe once in a while but more often that was because I just didn't like my job anyway.

I was most into DAOC when I was at a low point in life, wasn't happy with my relationship or job, I don't think there is a specific forumula to what kinds of people are addicted, just shows how hidden peoples personalities are from themselves!

I play frequently still, DAOC, WoW, DDO atm but I don't hang about in front of the PC the whole time, I read a book, watch TV, cook dinner, have a chat with friends, I often solo and only raid or grp if I feel like it, doesn't matter what the potential rewards are, if I haven't the time or inclination I don't do it.
Maybe that's why I enjoy my BD on classic, I pull then go make some coffee, check the UK news on TV (I'm from london, live in copenhagen), email some friends :p

Schedules rock!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I give 2-1 he is back and playing EQ2 tbh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom