no degree, no job?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I saw a company a while back that was stating in its advertising for a employee that it:

"is company policy of (whatever it was called), that we do not hire non-graduates"

Is this legal in todays world of alernative qualifications and such?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Companies can hire what and who they want. If they decide to require certain qualifications, it´s their decision.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Yup, it's legal, but rare of a company to do so these days. I went to an employment agency recently that required at least two years recent work experience before they would consider any one for a position. Most of those people should be still in work. So it is kinda dumb in that respect.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
I saw a company a while back that was stating in its advertising for a employee that it:

"is company policy of (whatever it was called), that we do not hire non-graduates"

Legal but sounds foolish, unless there was a particular qualification you needed? e.g. CTA for a Tax adviser or the like?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief

thats like, every single graduate programme going :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
but there are certain jobs that only men or women can do. there are specific exemptions in employment to take that kind of shit into account. Midgets make crap shelf stackers, people who cant read make pretty bad radio announcers and blind people make fairly shocking driving instructors!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Midwives are a perfect example of a job where positive discrimination simply will not work. Women want women to help with their births, not men.

As for this job, it's their policy but they're shooting themselves in the foot. I know a Networking Consultant in the city of London who commands £60-£100/hour and he doesn't have a degree. He knows all he knows from actually doing the job. He would fall foul of this company's policy and it would be their loss... he's DAMN good at what he does. :)

tris-

but there are certain jobs that only men or women can do. there are specific exemptions in employment to take that kind of shit into account. Midgets make crap shelf stackers, people who cant read make pretty bad radio announcers and blind people make fairly shocking driving instructors!

Women cannot be infantry in the armed forces too iirc.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Work experience > degree

I do a lot of hiring as part of my job. I'd take relevant work experience over academic qualifications all day long.

Stick your English degrees from Liverpool university up your arse. Gimme someone who's got 8 years relevant work experience

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Lamp, that means you can hire me for my undergrad placement for the year then :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Work experience > degree

I do a lot of hiring as part of my job. I'd take relevant work experience over academic qualifications all day long.

Stick your English degrees from Liverpool university up your arse. Gimme someone who's got 8 years relevant work experience

I've got at least 11 years wank experience...does that count?

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Work experience > degree

Amen, who wants someone who worked 4hrs a week for the last 3 years and spends his down-time with a traffic cone on his head. It's not the students fault, most of em would be better off taking apprentiships or doing something else, but there's an academic arms-race going and you have to waste 3yrs at uni...

tris-

Do people realise you can goto uni AND work at the same time?

Its a fucking miracle I tell ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom