No dedicated servers... read...

S

SAS

Before you think "WHY WHY!!" read the reasons and it will become clear.

OPF Dedicated (If you can call it that) servers need :

- A CD in to work.
- A cd key.
- There is no console to enter commands by (only RCON)

Reubs has talked with length to codemasters, but the outcome is what we have now. This is not a true dedicated server which can be run like other dedicated servers (i.e halflife, quake3...), and because of this it is impossible to run a full 24/7 dedicated server for operation flashpoint at this time :(

Codemasters will probably patch the dedicated server up some more, but atm sadly we are still stuck with peer-to-peer only gaming.

M

MYstIC G

just totally proves the only good codemasters game is Micro Machines :(

O

old.CSC7.KaNeda

Cant beleave this
been waiting so long for this 'dedicated server' patch to come out. And it cant even be done. Christ. Think ill stick to the Quake engine games. id do it best.

O

old.3k-stavros

??????????

Why do they do this to us?

They make us wait and wait and still no dedicated servers. So us lowly 56k'ers will have to keep trying to find a server that will let us play. Knowing fine well they dont let us play because there scared that we would pee all over them from a great height even on our slower connections and they would have nothing to blame for their shamefull defeat. I therefore offer a duel to anyone man (or women) enough to take the challenge, when and only when the dedicated servers become available (time and date TBC):). So they cant suddenly lose their connection when they realise they havent got a chance

O

old.mid_gen

That's a pain. Ah well, it won't be a problem for us LAN admins. Shame it's no good for the internet community..

<sigh>

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by CSC7.KaNeda
id do it best.

LOL...i dont think so

Anyway back to the subject I am really pissed off about this, I have been waiting for fooking ages! :mad:

C

Custy

I don't really see why people want dedicated servers tbh. The only reason i like playing opf online is because it is peer to peer and more private. You only play with people that you know or have met on IRC etc and there are no llamas to ruin it. Opf flash is only good because of the stratagies you can work up to free the hossies etc. I can't imagine that it is even anywhere as good in a public game.

O

old.3k-stavros

THE REASON FOR DEDICATED SERVERS

Although peer to peer servers do offer some degree of control as in you could play your mates or people youve been talking to as you said and you could refuse entry to anyone you didnt want to play.

However Dedicated servers would introduce the oppertunities for leagues to be formed and therefore teams would be created (Three Kings Recruiting for Team Deathmatch and CTF) and interteam rivalry is imcompaible to the normal pride you feel in wiping out your enemy.

Imagine this you are in the final stages of a CTF match you and the enemy are on equall points its all down to whoever captures the next flag, A cleverly placed sniper has taken down all but one enemy. He's camping in an attic with a LAW trained on the exact point you need to go to take their flag! A decoy is sent to distract his attention he is training his sights as a black ops special sneaks up behind him before slicing his neck open with his trusty pocket knife leaving you free to stroll up and take the flag and therefore the victory!!!! And it was all down to team planning in their private irc And then of course you can go torture the losers for the fun of it.

S

SAS

one good thing. netcode is a lot better. Hardly any lag, and the vehicles don't keep disappearing / reappearing :)

N

natrat

To clarify, the actual dedicated server itself is *not* included in this latest patch. The patch only contains client *support* for a forthcoming dedicated server release.

cheers,
nath

C

Ch3tan

Got to see they have imrpoved the netcode.

Also I probably wouldnt play Opf with anyone but the poeple I play with now.

I know them, we have fun and can play the game.

None of the lamers that come with dedicated servers.

M

MikeyBear

I agree Ch3ts m8 but it would be nice to be able to host our own server at least.
Its strikes me that opflash is not the sort of game that lends itself well to large numbers of people playing "willy nilly" but as I said a dedi server is a nice convenience - especially if you play a lot.

The fact that the server code appears to have no console interface and requires the CD and CD key in order to work appears to quite graphically display the sometimes astonishing level of ignorance inside games developement and publishing houses on just what it takes to make a game work online. Its been a good few years now since Quakeworld demonstrated "how it should be done" from a technical standpoint - you'd have thought they would have picked up a copy and had a look at least by now :)

C

Ch3tan

They can take as long as they want on dedicated servers as long as they fix the bugs I am still getting in this game.

Anyone else get a game screen, with no menu and no way to get to a menu whenever they press cacel while connected to a server?

This is really annoying it means I have to ctrl+alt+del out of every multiplayer game :/

O

old.Y-it-Earp

:)

Have you got zonealarm or something running?

C

Ch3tan

yees but it does it when i have zonealarm off as well :/

O

old.Y-it-Earp

win2k?

if you not got the patch for win2k get it
also alt-tab out instead if you can

C

Ch3tan

Cant alt-tab, also the win2k fix is pre 1.10 and so doesnt work after it anyway :/

I can play fine, its just leaving the game, or the random crashes I get after running it and manging to exit (single player).

Just a buggy game.

S

Summo

Flashpoint Center (sic) have produced a list of semi-permanent dedicated servers. I've not tried any of them yet but I guess they'll have to do for now.

UK:

Germany:

USA:

Australia:

Denmark:

Finland:

Japan:

M

MYstIC G

They all free to access? Don't wanna just wander into one of them uninvited & get told to fuck off

S

Summo

Apparently so. Worth the risk of a little abuse to find out, though.

K

*Kornholio*

Most of them look like lan ip's... oh well, like i said when this game first came out - it's crap :p

O

old.Y-it-Earp

Yeah the 192.*** and the 10.10 *** are LAN ip's

I still need a level skip for this game as i got so far, had to reformat and cant be arsed to play through it again as it fkin hard when someone snipers your ass and you have to start again D@DD
DS}DA

D
}A
}

O

old.EyeRoniK

My favourite level on micro machines was on the kitchen table, you cant beat driving over those lovely cheerios

O

old.gugus69

I'm using standalone OFP server.
With this version, NO CD and CD Key required.

Why BarrysWorld don't host this game ?

N

natrat

no interactive console, no command line loading, no customisable command line launchable configs, no simple server naming ability. Basically none of the features of a professional dedicated server.

K

*Kornholio*

there are a couple of dedicated servers out there... gamespy arcade & the all seeing eye pick them up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom