Help No Boot PC

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

Have a problem with me pc - it simply will not pass through into windows.

I have tried booting up normally, and in safe mode. All I get is a blank screen with the cursor showing - nothing else.

I had errors showing me that I had an "invalid Boot.ini" file - I booted up from the CD and ran FIXBOOT which got rid of that problem, but now shows me a choice of 2 windows to boot into (one doesnt work, the other is the current one that doesnt boot.

i have disconnected all the HDD's apart from the Windows disk - still no luck

if I boot from the CD and install Windows XP (without reformatting, or deleting partitions, will I still have my existing data on there (i.e. would I simply install windows XP over windows XP?)

cheers
Laz

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes-ish. your apps will be there but doze will know nothing of them iirc, because your registry will be new.

stuff like music, pictures and your goat pron will be fine, but games and programs that have registry settings will be fucked.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
tried all the options under repair mode megs. nothing gets it past the windows screen.

currently installing Windows for the second time (first install seemed to be a limited setup)

so far, so good.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You installing on the same disk? I'd be inclined in a situation like this to slap a new disk in and then copy over data from the old os disk....

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Cheers Jup. Problem is, I needed to get it up and running to get the data off the other disks anyway, so just installed to the same disk. Almost there - up and running with windows, antivirus and firefox. trying to get everything back to almost normal now.

downside is that I have the old "my documents" which I am trying to clean up.

i may decide to copy off all the files, reformat and install a clean version

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That would be your best bet Laz, it'll go horribly wrong over time afterwards from my own experience.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
perhaps time to invest in a good back-up scheme? my photography mate has 4 1TB usb drives which he uses purely for backups and never touches otherwise.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
you could have run FIXMBR to fix the master boot record that i think was fubar, causing your problem..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom