Nintendo

Aada

Part of the furniture
They won't be sold off, they will make them multi plat titles that will sell bucket loads.

Wii U is dead, a console cannot survive with just first party titles being made for it.

3DS sells well though so I think that will help prop them up, while they seriously think if they have a place in the home console market anymore.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Maybe if they made a regular console with no gimmicks they wouldn't have issues, you know, like the 8-bit etc...well....i think that applies to all consoles these days :p

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I don't think one flop is going to completely ruin a company.

Aada

Part of the furniture
To be fair it's not just the one console the Wii is to blame for this too, as far as the gaming community is concerned the Wii and Wii U are casual consoles with games made for kids. Take Zombi U for example probably the best game to show off the Wii U features but it sold like absolute garbage to the point where Ubisoft have said there will NOT be a sequel.

The only games that sell well on Nintendo consoles since the Wii are Nintendo first party games and this has to come into consideration for any publisher looking at developing for the Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 will be the next example.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
While the Wii is to blame as well, it certainly can't be considered a failure. I do think it was a bad idea to put all their eggs in the casual gaming basket again, but I don't see it being the end of Nintendo.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It won't be the end but it could be the end of them entering into the home console market for a few years, at this point they will be considering if 3rd party publishers would even develop for a new console unless it is a very powerful console geared towards gamers.

Not the end of Nintendo but tough times and perhaps some tough choices to be made, regarding putting their first party titles on other platforms.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Ouch.

Another Nintendo thing is that they emailed Facebook asking for their pages to be renamed. Would love to know what's going on their side.

Syri

FH is my second home
I can't see it being the end of Nintendo. The 3DS is still going decent, and I can see the 2DS giving them a nice christmas bonus this year. The big problem with the wii-u is that Nintendo thought they could just release whatever they wanted after the runaway success of the wii. They went a bit too complex though, and nobody really saw the point of it over the wii. It had better graphics, but didn't really have anything to make use of the higher spec, so it all kinda looked the same. The tablet controller was a gimmick too far, nobody really knew what to do with it. Take that out, and it's just a wii. so people just stuck with the wii.
If they do another console, and come up with something that's innovative, useful and intuitive again, they could get another winner. The wii-u was innovative, it just wasn't intuitive or useful, in my view at least.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Hasn't the Wii sold more consoles than ps3 and xbox 360?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
...and sold fuck all in software, which is where they make their cash. That was last gen anyway, the Wii U has nose dived.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Hasn't the Wii sold more consoles than ps3 and xbox 360?

I think it did yea because of the initial price of the PS3 and Xbox 360 - the Wii was raking it in then - funny part is you can actually buy a Wii now for £25 with games/control pads.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The Wii sold more consoles no disputing that but from a software point of view sales were abysmal for anything that wasn't a Nintendo first party game or related to Wii Fit. EA, Activision and Ubisoft couldn't sell anything on it.

Here's the thing with casual gamers they will buy the console but they do not spend a lot of money on games every year they will probably buy the new Mario and a couple of other games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom