nforce2 / soundstorm question

B

Big G

noforce2 / soundstorm question

All

Just bought an Abit AN7, and by god it's a brilliant motherboard feature wise and overclockability wise.

However, I have one niggling thing about it. I can't use the tone control sliders in the volume control panel. Thus:

audio.jpg

I want to be able to adjust the bass and treble, like I could on my old SB Live! The nvidia control panel does have an EQ, but it's not particularly great at controlling the tone: it sounds "artificial".

Does anyone know if you can or how you enable these controls?

Cheers

G

B

Big G

fs one of you hardware dwellers must have an nforce2 and wanted to tweak the bass treble

:(

F

FatBusinessman

Can you not just control the bass/treble direct from your speakers? Or are you the headphones type?

Q

Quige

well, I've never noticed that at all. I guess I'm either playing music from winamp (and use a plugin to fiddle with that stuff), listening on headphones, or it's going out through an amp and I twiddle dials.

In what sort of situations are you wanting to use those sliders, that you can't do through another way?

Q

Quige

The same sliders seem to be disabled on the Advanced Controls for Microphone to.

Maybe they're just disabled on purpose, and the only option is to fiddle with the mixer in the nforce control panel.

Anyone with an nforce2 with those sliders enabled?

Q

Quige

Apparently not all sound cards or chips support tone controls in hardware. The soundblaster range do, but perhaps the nforce2 audio doesn't.

B

Big G

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
Can you not just control the bass/treble direct from your speakers? Or are you the headphones type?

Well I can from the amp, but it doesn't sound the same as boosting the treble / bass from the soundcard. As i said, it sounds artifically bright or low. On the SB Live!, bass drums on a natural kit sound like a real drum kit; a deep air pushing bass note as opposed to the nforce2 which is just a low thump or a "look, i've turned up the 128Hz slider in iTunes" whack.

I've put the 4 year old SB Live! back in this morning, connecting the digital coax output to the amp and it sounds soooo much fuller and better than the nforce2. I dunno what it is about the nforce2, but it just doesn't sound remotely as .... brilliant.

I'll run two soundcards until nVidia release nvMixer which has working bass/treble sliders - clearly there is a need for it because the raw digital output sounds totally flat with no dynamic range.

G

Users who are viewing this thread