NFC payments, specifically, Vodafone Smartpass

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was out cycling today and realised I only had five quid in my pocket, and no cards. I did a quick search on my phone and found that Vodafone have released something called Smartpass:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wirecard.smartpass.vodafone.uk&hl=en_GB

Coincidentally, this was released only three weeks ago.

Now I thought it'd be as simple as signing up, clicking "yes" to a load of bullshit, and then being able to use my phone to buy stuff, which would appear on the bill. But instead, you have to top up your Smartpass account from your bank, or credit card - whatever.

In the end I managed fine with the five quid, but I've just stuck £20 on the Smartpass account to see what happens. Vodafone also mentioned—during the signup—that I need a sticker for the back of my phone, and something called a companion card. I have no idea what these do, my phone has NFC so it all seems a bit strange.

Has anyone else used this? I shall report back with findings. I guess it's useful to have some "money" in your phone, in case you lose your cards.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So you are giving them money to sit on for a while to invest and gain interest on for nothing, but to gain access to said funds you have too have your phone and a card with you.

Mug much?

Meet the 21st century, say hi to Mr Debit card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom