Next gen nintendo...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
not to me its stupid horrible and i dont find it nice at all

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They've said they won't do 3d on console until they can do it without 3d glasses which imo is the way to go.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Nintendo do miss tricks though, I mean they released the Wii against the PS3 and gave it an output of 480p and no real media features.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
And yet outsold the PS3
Exactly, imagine what it would have done to the market with slightly better hardware. Mine is a door stop now, I don't think I have so much as turned it on in nearly three years.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
lol i think most Wiis are now dust collectors unless you have friends over. After doing mario galaxy i dont remember playing my wii. Same with Kinect actually

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Exactly, imagine what it would have done to the market with slightly better hardware. Mine is a door stop now, I don't think I have so much as turned it on in nearly three years.
Do they care? They have your money. The Wii was a success for Nintendo. I always thought they were dumb for not doing a £5 "make it a DVD player" download, but meh.

If they now come and bash the PS3 and XBOX over the head with something powerful (which knowing Nintendo I don't think they will) they may garner support with developers. Ubisoft is already calling for a new generation of consoles iirc.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

It already sold as much as could possibly be expected yet they were able to make wonga on each sale since the hardware cost about 5p to make due to not being HD capable. I'd say Nintendo were being cleverer than you credit them for :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Nintendo havn't had much luck with 3rd party developers since the N64.
They have a serious problem on that front.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They seem to manage alright as it is though.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with everything that has been said, but surely the future of the console is as a media centre of some sort. I've never been convinced by surfing on a tv, but with the latest tech, or next generation of it, maybe that will become more practical too. It seems fairly obvious too that optical media is going to be on the way out in the next decade or so, so large storage capacity it probably going to be important too. Certainly those are the things I would be looking at for the next gen.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They have sold millions of what is essentially a slightly better gamecube. They made a profit on just about every unit sold with the cheap to churn out games also selling well.

It may not be decent equipment for the gamer, that is not who it was aimed at.

As for 3D, its not taken off in the home as much as the TV manufacturers wanted. Who wants to have to sit there with a pair of goggles on just to watch TV/game? They are probably right to not bother with it yet. Proper, affordable 3d without glasses is a while away yet, probably at least half way through the next generation consoles life span. Add to that a couple of years take up time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next, next generation that has hardware driven 3D out of the box.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
True but Mario games aren't going to last forever unless they find a way to make Shigeru Miyamoto immortal.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I've owned all of nintendos's consoles, but then I tend to buy every new console anyway. I can't say I have ever been a big fan of Nintendo if I am honest. I'm not overly fond of their style of games and I never did like Mario. I enjoyed Zelda and a few others, but most of the fun games I remember on Nintendo hardware came from third party software companies.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i think its a wise move ditching the 3D for a television based console

the reason the 3DS is a success is because you get the 3D viewing capabilites with the machine you dont need any peripherals etc its nice and contained

the key factor is 3D telly sales have not been as succesful as manufactures had hoped its a niche market if anything, the market is clearly still HD nintendo and indeed any other developer is nuts to develop a console for a niche market which is probably not expected to become mainstream

most people are not going to buy a console with 3D capabilities if they do not have a 3D telly i know i wouldnt its a bad investment

Aada

Part of the furniture
They have sold millions of what is essentially a slightly better gamecube. They made a profit on just about every unit sold with the cheap to churn out games also selling well.

It may not be decent equipment for the gamer, that is not who it was aimed at.

As for 3D, its not taken off in the home as much as the TV manufacturers wanted. Who wants to have to sit there with a pair of goggles on just to watch TV/game? They are probably right to not bother with it yet. Proper, affordable 3d without glasses is a while away yet, probably at least half way through the next generation consoles life span. Add to that a couple of years take up time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next, next generation that has hardware driven 3D out of the box.

QFT

I don't have the slightest bit interest in 3D i do not want to sit with a pair of glasses/googles on everytime i watch a movie/play a game.

We don't even go to see 3D films we have seen one 3D film which was Avatar we then went the weekend after and saw the 2D version and we came to the conclusion after that 3D just isn't for us 3D didn't make us go 'woooooooow' like you see in the adverts it was just like 'oh thats it?'

3D is over rated.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
It isn't really a case of developing for 3d though is it? I mean the PS3 can do 3d as can the 360, it is just a case of nintendo making a console on par with sony and MS. All I am saying is they don't really have to go out of their way to do it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
But they don't have to compete with them on that level, they're DIFFERENT. Why should they pump millions into 3D tech just to be on a "par"? Why do all consoles need the exact same features?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Why should it cost millions? Pretty much any half decent video chipset can do 3d output these days.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's just stupid talk.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
nintendo has never and will never compete with the likes of microsoft or sony microsoft and sony aim for a particular market the hardcore gamer, nintendo would get buried if they even tried to compete as they lack the experience to that particular play style

nintendo has always been aimed at family or young fun ever since the PS1 and xbox appeared on the scene and they have pretty much cornered the market in that regard

microsoft and sony only tried to cash in on this success once the wii had shown there was a market for the casual gamer and families

i dont know what nintendo are planning next but i really hope its not a ps3 clone i want something innovative again the wii may be collecting dust but you cant deny its impact on gaming.

Aada

Part of the furniture
nintendo has never and will never compete with the likes of microsoft or sony microsoft and sony aim for a particular market the hardcore gamer, nintendo would get buried if they even tried to compete as they lack the experience to that particular play style

nintendo has always been aimed at family or young fun ever since the PS1 and xbox appeared on the scene and they have pretty much cornered the market in that regard

microsoft and sony only tried to cash in on this success once the wii had shown there was a market for the casual gamer and families

i dont know what nintendo are planning next but i really hope its not a ps3 clone i want something innovative again the wii may be collecting dust but you cant deny its impact on gaming.

The only impact the Wii has had on gaming is it's ability to get developers to churn out endless trash for the console.

I mean the list of party games is ridiculous not to mention the Wii Fit clone games that get releeased almost on a monthly basis.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
3D isn't even 3D, it's just multiple layers of 2D images* :p

*imo

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

What exactly did the Wii do that changed gaming so dramatically?

Their motion controller?

kinect is imo more innovative then that.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The wii was just the right bit of jazz at the right time, even a gimmick can succeed if you get it out at the right time and market the hell out of it. As a peice of hardware it is 10 year old trash but by god Nintendo have milked that cow for all it's worth.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
What exactly did the Wii do that changed gaming so dramatically?

Their motion controller?

kinect is imo more innovative then that.
Kinect is effectively a revised EyeToy. They're all a bloody novelty item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom