Nexland ISB Pro800Turbo

W

wolfeeh

^

this thing is a combination 8 port switch, 2 WAN port load balancer and erm firewall....

it can be used to load-balance two adsl / or a cable and a dsl connection (basically whatever you can get into it via the ethernet WAN ports)....

my question?

Anyone got / seen / used one?

Nexland Pro 800

the basic premise is that you have two adsl routers or ethernet modems plugged into the WAN ports and it combines the bandwidth (sort of) giving you 1mbit download and 2*256k uploads (don't ask why it can't combine the upload thing - i don't know).

also can manage failovers if one dsl line dies (ideally use two different isp's).

anyway, from what i've heard on adslguide some people are having problems - partially because they're using crap adsl modems without many configuration options... but if someone here has one, and has it working then that's a ray of hope...

D

danger

Why would you want to do that? BT are actually expected to launch a 1mbit home ADSL product early next year which would probably be cheaper and also would have the advantage that you don't have to split the bandwidth down two pipes... As far as I'm aware it would only help if you had multiple downloads going... it wouldn't be able to give you a 1mbit download of say a single file....

W

wolfeeh

Ah

but that's the point, it CAN give you 1mb dl of a single file... it just can't give you 512k upload... (can do 2*256)

i seem to recall you being the dude that did some post on "yey got dsl at last!"...

if you had dsl as long as i, and some other people had, you'd realise that when bt say they are thinking of introducing something it can a) be a year down the line when that happens... after extensive trialling... and b) it costs a fucking fortune...

bt haven't exactly been competing with cable companies on price have they?

i also thought it was quite obvious why someone would want to do this : it IS very likely to be cheaper than a 1mbit connection - and there's the redundancy possibilities... say one dsl pipe goes down? 100% of the load will automatically be routed down the other one.

there's also a comprehensive host of management options for the switch and router, letting you define what percentage of load goes down what pipe, i believe it's possible to route all traffic from one ip on a machine down one pipe only say... i.e. when you live in a house with 5 pc's and a console online, options like these are worth looking at.... did i mention the firewall etc? and the fact that i wouldn't need to buy a new 8 port switch, which alone would set me back at least £80

S

Scooba Da Bass

You've got to factor in the cost of another phone line, and another dsl bill which for 1meg sounds insane considering I'm getting 2 meg dsl* in a month for 40 quid a month

*terms and conditions may apply

D

danger

.e. when you live in a house with 5 pc's and a console online, options like these are worth looking at.... did i mention the firewall etc? and the fact that i wouldn't need to buy a new 8 port switch, which alone would set me back at least £80

No you didn't mention that....

Also You may like to refer to me as the guy who posted "yay I got adsl at last" If you'd read all my previous posts before becoming a sarcastic and condesending cunt you might have realised that I spend 3 months on the phone pretty much three times a week to BT then eventually to Oftel to be able to get ADSL so yes I do realise BT rarely deliver what they promise, when they promise however, they won't need to go through testing since they already have a 1 or 2mbit pipe out aimed at business.... (although I'm sure they'll use any excuse to delay it) so at this point you may be right...

As for "they haven't been competing with cable companies on price..."

That my friend is complete smegma-coated bullshit you are spouting... at the beginning of 2002 BT Wholesale dropped the charge of ADSL for ISPs from £25 +VAT to £15 +VAT.. WHY?!? TO COMPETE WITH CABLE....

NTL 600k cable is £25.99 ROUGHLY the same price as ADSL is available from ISPS... infact various ISPS charge LESS than this.. so how can you say they are uncompetitively priced??

From what I've read the 1Mbit pipe is likely to be priced to compete with cable..

So it would most likely save you some money...

I thought I might mention this as it might help save you some money if you hadn't heard about it... However you didn't mention you had 5 PC's connected to the pipe now did you?

To summerise... if you don't want any responses to your post don't post... sheesh:rolleyes:

D

danger

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
You've got to factor in the cost of another phone line, and another dsl bill which for 1meg sounds insane considering I'm getting 2 meg dsl* in a month for 40 quid a month

*terms and conditions may apply

Oh yes I forgot the cost of the voiceline as well... thankyou scoobs... so yes the 1mbit pipe is likely to be ALOT cheaper...

W

wolfeeh

danger

sorry if i hit a sore spot :( i too know what it was like to have to wait aeons to get dsl out of the cunts... - and i lived in a dsl trial area! (which btw denied for like a year and a half - my neighbour had it ffs)

anyway...

i already have two phone lines... so there is no cost to factor in for that...

if i do this it's basically another dsl router and the nexland load balancer... few hundred pounds one off expenditure... and another say £22 a month for another dsl account...

what's the terms and conditions scoob?

right, to make my point i'm currently looking at btopenworld's webpage (i'm using this for comparison instead of anyone else because a) i've got a bto account NOW, and b) no one else is likely to be staggeringly cheaper...

the cost of 1mbit dsl is currently £119 a month plus vat... which is means er... £140 a month but for a few pence.

so 1mbit dsl : £140 a month.
2*512k dsl : £44 - £52 a month
(depends whether i choose to get two nildram wires only connections or keep my bto and get a nildram one as well for failover)

this isn't something i'm instantly going to run out and do... i am trying to keep my ears pinned for news of 1mbit home from BT... but i can say with all honesty that i think it's going to be badly priced... i think we're going to be talking £55-60 a month if not more.

D

danger

No probs... it was a sore spot :p TBH you could well be right about the 1mbit DSL I don't trust BT either... they have lied and I mean lied as in told me to my face (well over the phone) something they knew was not true... :p

I've heard it's likely to be around £40 but it's all hear-say right now... The redundancy idea is quite a good one TBH although it's probably more likely that one ISP will go down rather than one line.., so maybe 2 ISPs are better...

S

Scooba Da Bass

Uh, it's basically a modified business account. Off peak you get 2meg down and 400 up, on peak it drops to 512 and 400 up, which is quite handy as on peak I'm at work.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by wolfeeh
^

this thing is a combination 8 port switch, 2 WAN port load balancer and erm firewall....

it can be used to load-balance two adsl / or a cable and a dsl connection (basically whatever you can get into it via the ethernet WAN ports)....

my question?

Anyone got / seen / used one?

Nexland Pro 800

the basic premise is that you have two adsl routers or ethernet modems plugged into the WAN ports and it combines the bandwidth (sort of) giving you 1mbit download and 2*256k uploads (don't ask why it can't combine the upload thing - i don't know).

also can manage failovers if one dsl line dies (ideally use two different isp's).

anyway, from what i've heard on adslguide some people are having problems - partially because they're using crap adsl modems without many configuration options... but if someone here has one, and has it working then that's a ray of hope...

When you dl the final destination is your computer thus the download can be controlled, when you upload the final destination is another computer....it is up to the computer that end that deals with how the upload is handled, something you can't control.

W

wolfeeh

hehe

embattle : yes - i just couldn't be assed explaining it... i already type too much as it is...

scooba... how the HELL did you manage that?

S

Scooba Da Bass

Lived in London with local loop unbundling, huzzah for alternate ISPs

D

danger

Yeah no BT... cunt :p

he's got it provided by.... 'em Bulldog or someone?

D

danger

I know :( not unless you move to the area of london served by Bulldog... it's a good deal...

By alternate ISPs I think he means Telco's... gah I'm not fully sure how LLuB works... does that mean another telco buys the local loop off BT or they get permission to use it or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom