News from Lori

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
yep here it is :D

Developer: Lori Hyrup

First off, nothing in this entry is set in stone. Second, it will be impossible to make everyone happy.

Situation:

Devon - Excellent Shape

Killibury - Limping along

Bossiney - Nearly Dead

Mordred - Undead

Gaheris - Not as dependent on population

Considerations:

Devon - Too much character data, cannot accept more servers to its cluster.

Killibury - Needs more population

Mordred - Desperate for any additional bodies

Gaheris - Not as dependent on population

Bossiney - Desperately needs more population, but since there is no one else around with this ruleset, where do you get it?

Of all of these, Bossiney is the most difficult to deal with. It is a special ruleset with players who made characters there for a particular reason. However, doing "nothing" will result in people leaving, and that is not an option. Some people have said, "Just throw in Old Frontiers and call it good."

Believe it or not, not everyone on that cluster wants Old Frontiers. Yes, there is a lot who do, but many do not. If we just swap out New Frontiers for Old Frontiers, it will be repeating the part of same thing mistake that the introduction of New Frontiers originally created (forcing players to change their entire end-game experience). Not to mention, Old Frontiers without the code-support to go with it won't help very much, and if we go through the trouble of implementing the code support, then we may as well just open the origins ruleset (hold that thought). Furthermore, there are some post-expansion classes that you absolutely do not want in Old Frontiers, particularly since we don't have the art capacity to address certain issues in those Old Frontiers keeps.

So then what? Players won't magically start coming back when there is no population already there for them to join. So, here are the current thoughts that, when taking in to consideration all the variables, seem to make the most sense and be the least damaging.

Phase 1:

•Open character transfers to players from Devon, Killibury, and Bossiney to a brand new, clean server. This server will be called Ywain.
•Offer Bossiney transfers the following:
◦Ability to trade in their classic-specific equipment for non-classic equivalents
◦Possibly offer ML/Artifact "boost" incentive (some sort of credit mechanism to lessen any pain that may be associated with MLs or Artifacts. This may take the form of a blanket bonus given to all transfers, regardless of ruleset origin.
◦Significantly lessen the power gap between those who use buff bots and those who do not.
◦Make BP items, and possible Artifact and ML credit tradeable
■Replace the encounter credit with desirable loot to avoid making ToA content pointless
Goal: For Killibury and Devon players, this is a no brainer. For Bossiney players, we want to lessen their reasons for not wanting to transfer and make the resulting experience as painless as possible.

Note: We will be investigating the possibility of allowing Bossiney characters to keep a copy of their character back on Bossiney (just in case the population starts returning), but we cannot make promises yet that we will be able to accomplish that.

Phase 2:

•Modify Gaheris ruleset from PvE to "Realm Free" ruleset (meaning, the freedom to play any realm)
◦Ruleset adds the Molvik BG to the server where there is no level restriction and open pvp.
◦Make some modifications to Molvik specific to this ruleset
◦This Ruleset adds Cathal Valley to ruleset for PvE content
◦Offer Mordred transfers to this new rule set.
Goal: For Mordred players to be able to play with other people with the same freedom to go anywhere in the game. As a byproduct, Gaheris players will receive some ability to selective PvP.

There is a 3rd Phase to this plan, but we are not yet ready or close enough to go in to those specifics

What u guys think then ?

ileks

Part of the furniture
Sounds good to me :) Be nice to have my vamp on a popular server again :)

Anyone know when they will do this? will it be in the next patch or what?

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Would have been better if you could char transfer from Bos/Kil to Devon instead of a new server.. But i guess thats not possible.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
daoc needs something like this, not getting my hopes up though, too many times theyve dangled the carrot of a great idea in front of our eyes, get everyones hopes up and then went quiet and done nothing.

see what happens, i would transfer my bossiney toons and maybe one or two from devon depending how they work it.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
taken from:VN Boards - Common Questions about Character Transfers: Answered

Here is the Herald post on transfers.

I've gathered and compiled some of the common questions I've seen about character transfers, along with answers taken from various VN and Facebook posts (by Lori), and put them in one post for people to find more easily.

Here ya go:

Will there be incentives for Devon players to transfer to the new server, Ywain?
More than that, the transfer will be forced. All active characters on Devon, Killibury, and Bossiney will be moved to Ywain. Those old clusters will be archived to allow returning players to transfer as well.

Will it cost money to transfer?
No, free of charge.

Will the new server, Ywain, allow access to all 3 realms?
Yes, and there will be a realm timer (undetermined amount of time yet).

What is being done to allow people that have more than 10 characters per realm, across all current servers, to transfer all of their characters?
"We are going to attempt to cluster our lobby, which means the only thing clustered is the entry point (e.g. character select). If it works out, and we believe it will, then this will allow you to transfer more characters."

What exactly will we be able to transfer over to the new server?
"In theory, everything transfers, items, money, rps, houses, guilds (at least associated with the guild leader, and yes, that means fixing the auto promote), etc."

What do you mean decreasing the gap between players with and without buffbots?
"Shearable, "yellow con" buff potions are currently the favored direction in this discussion."

That's pretty much it for now, if I find more I will update it while I can still edit the post.

Twoeye

Can't get enough of FH
If this comes thru its realy great news , got 3 full accounts on hib/Killb cluster (well only 9 chars on one them) and that seems perf since i'v lvl'ed up a new Menta on Devon , just hope i can merge him in to the 9 char ones from Killb :)

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
The way i see it they are going to force active devon/killibury players to the new server, how they do it for boss players i dunno, but i think they do it because there is just too much data on devon to allow transfers to it.

Edit: Didn't update before i posted so i see now that Toggers already cleared things up :)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
They are basically just making one final cluster, however due to a series of technical reasons they are doing it via a forced char transfer to a new server.

The only real problem is Mordred but there are so few people on that server I doubt it matters.

The buff potions are a good idea too, they just need to make sure that you don't need to have 15 million pots just to make sure you are buffed.

Everz

FH is my second home
All the have to do with mord is whipe the items and guild database and allow xfers.

Everz

FH is my second home
Bonus is druid again, so sad the action on killi, took a relic with 3fg though had equal numbers in resistance but after that it died.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Rather cool ideas if you ask me. Maybe that will also encourage players to play some kind of "PvP-ruleset". Sure it's not that "bash on everything everywhere" anymore, but it makes the PvE part easy and you can still mix groups around everywhere etc.

The Classic part is a hard one, because the reason people did not want ToA is not neccessarily how hard it was, but the abilities it brought, like resist pierce (the most gay thing ever invented, why the fuck do I temp resists, if others can pierce them), banelord, battlemaster…
Over time, a lot of "Toa things" have been added to the classic servers, like the fires for resting or casting speed on dragon/ds items.

A Classic char with traded items will still not be the same than a ToA'd char. The idea seems nice, but we'll see how it works out in the end. It would be nice if they did something like changing Cathal Valley to having no level restriction and just forbidding the /use of Artifacts and blocking MLs there.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I hope they give classic chars some help as well. All their templates will be useless on the TOA server. Maybe give them 10,000 BPs upon transfer or something.

Everz

FH is my second home
They said that was going to be that idea for classic toons, mine are all stuck in catacombs gear from when classic launched haha

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
And this is where i stop playing daoc... MM yea it will be awesome to solo with 3k ppl primetime! >.<

Genedril

Part of the furniture
And this is where i stop playing daoc... MM yea it will be awesome to solo with 3k ppl primetime! >.<

You can't please all of the people all of the time....

Then again there's always the Duvet cluster for those that don't want to be over run by the madding hordes.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
I hope they give classic chars some help as well. All their templates will be useless on the TOA server. Maybe give them 10,000 BPs upon transfer or something.

I used to kick the crap outta ToA chars on pend with my classic char.
She is a champ though ;)
But, tbh, her classic Dragon gear temp would probably only really be improved by SoM (for my playstyle).
ML's are a different matter.

But all in all, I'm looking forward to this.
I went to classic to escape buffbots more than toa gear, so yellow con pots is perfectly fine imho.

Resubbed last night in order to show support for the idea.

Now I just have to find out where all my CM gear went to, house vault gear I can find, but where oh where did the consignment mechant stuff goto when my house got repossesed?

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Sounds like it should be a fun server, Devon is fun already but gives me chance to enjoy my albs/hibs again from boss/killi :)

Everz

FH is my second home

I've said it once and ill say it again Laby atm from midday to 6pm GMT is solo bliss.

Everz

FH is my second home
Now I just have to find out where all my CM gear went to, house vault gear I can find, but where oh where did the consignment mechant stuff goto when my house got repossesed?

Main market, should be able to get a refund fully + items/trophies back.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
At first I thought "Why cant they just throw everyone onto Devon". But Devon probably have 1k or more accounts which are not even open. I think by moving everyone onto a new server (hope live devon accounts are forced to move) it will be better for everyone.

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
At first I thought "Why cant they just throw everyone onto Devon". But Devon probably have 1k or more accounts which are not even open. I think by moving everyone onto a new server (hope live devon accounts are forced to move) it will be better for everyone.

If I've read things correctly their plans are to pretty much 'kill' the Devon servers, archiving them so old players coming back can still transfer their characters over. But yes, it will very much be forced transfers.

Everz

FH is my second home
Just thinking, how will they manage to cope, i have more then the 10 slots on each realm i want to xfer :s.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
Just thinking, how will they manage to cope, i have more then the 10 slots on each realm i want to xfer :s.

they said something about clustering the login lobby or something?! not sure what it means but theyre not seeing it as a problem.

Dunno what they will do with the names, my classic cleric has the same name as my toa infy, my toa wiz has the same name as my classic infy :s im sure theyve thought about that tho :)

slightly annoying thing is i just made a toa infil, spent lots of time and cash on him and he will be totally redundant when my classic one arrives....but hey ho, id rather play the classic one anyways but seems like the toa one was a waste of time :(

Bahumat

FH is my second home
they said something about clustering the login lobby or something?! not sure what it means but theyre not seeing it as a problem.

I reckon it does something like this.
'assume' 10 characters from your Alb Lancelot get ported over to Alb Ywain.
Player goes to server screen, clicks on Bedevere and selects Albion. Picks his character and presses Play. The game loads you not into the Bedevere server, but the Ywain server.

slightly annoying thing is i just made a toa infil, spent lots of time and cash on him and he will be totally redundant when my classic one arrives....but hey ho, id rather play the classic one anyways but seems like the toa one was a waste of time :(

I would not worry too much Tog, I can only assume your classic one is higher RR? If so, you can transfer the armour and items which are not bound to you. Would mean you need to get a few arte's but they did say those would be easier (hope they also mean easier to xp)

Everz

FH is my second home
It cant do that Bahu as all the old servers are being archieved.

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
I've said it once and ill say it again Laby atm from midday to 6pm GMT is solo bliss.

the only time i was in laby there were only scrubs on cheese classes there.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Read the discussion over the clustering they looking at on facebook amazing Mythic got a facebook page.

Have asked on there with problems with Kil and Devon being clustered wether Mythic would look at taking EU accounts away from Goa as I am sure if they looking at getting more players for cluster getting Euro accounts would boost that server even with Americans tbh as most would look at how EU players v US players would like to go.

Alas tho have had no response from the Daoc people regarding if they look into that :(.

I'm sure if they did how many of X EU players would look at transferring they chars there I for 1 would and I know this question as been asked from GOA in past with NO REAL Conclusion only EU format for game is different from US format.

TBH Copy/Paste Char + Items can't be that hard and I am sure if a cost was introduced I am positive most would take it up.GOA Couldn't care less for Dark you only have to look how far behind they are in patching.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Soulja

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom