Newcastle, areas to avoid

Ormorof

FH is my second home
now i know theres a few geordies and others who live up in the north east, i might be in with a shot of a job up there and was wondering what areas to avoid/not bother looking for places to live(for example in Hull i wouldnt recommend living in Bransholme to anyone unless they had a death wish)

also how is the city to live in in general? (apart from all the geordies ofc ;) )

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Byker is getting better like, Wallsend they are doing a lot of work in the centre same with Whitley Bay. Whitley bay is dieing faster than they can save it though they have pumped £60m into it in the last year or two and the whole place is still a mess. Woolworths shut there (obv!) store called T&G Allen which was like a family run department store, real shame to see that go I loved the toy store basement as a kid, the Marksies is shutting there half the bars have shut its a shame to see it all happen.
Most of the places in Newcastle that have had a bad name are starting to get there now, I live in North Shields beside the Meadowell where all the riots were in the late 80's early 90's and this area has been heavily developed and is really a reasonable place to live now (our postcode NE29 is still one of the most expensive postcodes for car and house insurance in the country though afaik =/)
I know that some places in the West end of Newcastle have some problems still, but dont have that much info on those areas Im afraid, always been on the coastal side myself.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
its an office role out by the silverlink (i have no idea where that is tho lol )

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Silverlink's in Wallsend iirc, more reason to move there!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
well its nothing definite yet, its looking like newcastle, edinburgh or leeds atm tho (know more about last two and seems to be more info online too :p )

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
well its nothing definite yet, its looking like newcastle, edinburgh or leeds atm tho (know more about last two and seems to be more info online too :p )

Don't go Edinburgh bud, the place is a fucking ripoff. My brother has lived there for 4 years and can't wait to leave next year when his contract expires. Anywhere else in Scotland is fine but Edinburgh is an overpriced overrated dump.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Don't go Edinburgh bud, the place is a fucking ripoff. My brother has lived there for 4 years and can't wait to leave next year when his contract expires. Anywhere else in Scotland is fine but Edinburgh is an overpriced overrated dump.

well everywhere looks expensive compared to what I've been paying in Hull :p

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Silverlink man thats 5mins away from my house, I work at a Santander call centre in a business park next door to the Silverlink called the Cobalt business park.
Its just beside North Shields right on the coast road (main road that runs from Newcastle down to Tynemouth, Whitley Bay goes through Wallsend and that on the way to town from the coast theres regular busses that run up and down in, takes around 40mins from Whitley to Town iirc. Its basically just a huge straight road.) So its really accessible the Cobalt also started a few new bus routes so that business park is also very accessible.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
I lived in Leeds for 3 years whilst I was at uni as well and loved the place if its a shout between Newcastle or Leeds it would be close! But Leeds has a much better drum and bass/ jungle/ dubstep well just a better night life in general really so that would sway it for me :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Newcastle or Leeds? Close but Newcastle is a bit cheaper and is by the sea which is always a bonus point for me.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Silverlink man thats 5mins away from my house, I work at a Santander call centre in a business park next door to the Silverlink called the Cobalt business park.
Its just beside North Shields right on the coast road (main road that runs from Newcastle down to Tynemouth, Whitley Bay goes through Wallsend and that on the way to town from the coast theres regular busses that run up and down in, takes around 40mins from Whitley to Town iirc. Its basically just a huge straight road.) So its really accessible the Cobalt also started a few new bus routes so that business park is also very accessible.

lol i think thats where the business park is Proctor & Gamble offices :)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have a mate that lives in Newcastle. So before I ask him I'll ask the Geordies here and get a (Hopefully) straight answer. What's Walker like then?

Cozak

Part of the furniture
I have a mate that lives in Newcastle. So before I ask him I'll ask the Geordies here and get a (Hopefully) straight answer. What's Walker like then?

Not very nice methinks, havent been there for ages though, go through on metro every now and then.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Like Cozak says, Walker definately isn't one of the nicer places to be living in Newcastle. Then again though I haven't been there in years either, so might've changed a little, doubt it though ;p

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
also avoid byker grove, coz duncan might get you into his cult

yourself.. ourselves...yourself.. ourselves...

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I lived in Jesmond when I was in Newcastle... but that's because I was a student... was quite a nice place and there's a strip of bars in the middle.

A couple of my mates lived in Heaton and they got burgled 4 times in a year, smashed a window to get in every time, quite a large chav contingent there, areas quite poor I think.

Marc

FH is my second home
I used to live in Meadowell, in Newcastle. Not an area I would advise living in!

Uara

Part of the furniture
i kno its not in Newcastle per se but I got relatives in Monkseaton and Tynemouth. Not too bad at all, plus good links into the city with the Metro etc

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I am not so sure the Geordies would agree with me, and it's been almost twenty years since I was living there, well in 6 it will be heh.

Places to not live :-

Benwell
Elswick Road and there abouts.

Byker was ok as is Jesmond and Gosforth. Heaton was ok too.

Byker has got sod all on Benwell in terms of how shit it is if things haven't got any better when I was visiting there.

As a best bet for an area to live in teh toon, I'd say Jesmond, North Gosforth or Heaton tbh :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom