New York (Hotel)

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey guys,

Can anyone that has been to New York before recommend me a decent-ish hotel to stay at? I'm not after anything swanky, just something respectable for a decent price. Also, any info on particularly good sights to see while there would be great :)

Cheers

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Ahh, yes good thread, i need to book for June, same question please

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My favourite hotel in New York. Not that cheap, but with the dollar down the toilet, not that bad either.

All the obvious stuff tourist wise: Empire State building, Central Park, go to a baseball game (Yankees has better atmosphere but I think the stadium's being rebuilt), do the circle line boat ride (round Manhattan), and Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. Also, get the Staten Island ferry late afternoon, then come back when the sun's gone down for the best view of NY from the water.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Edison or New yorker.

been in both and they're fantastic, unfortunately with it being new york (Manhattan I take it?) you'd be hard pressed to find anything that isn't swanky really, i'd steer clear of B&Bs over there though since they're usually in some dodgy areas (Bronx, lower east side, queens).

Edison is great because it's hugely central, as in right smack bang next to Times Square.

New yorkers a bit further to the south of Manhattan iirc, quite close to the empire state building but it's a good point to start and work your way up. It also has a fantastic sky lounge to sit and have a bit of a drink in late at night and watch new york at night.

Make damn sure you get to the top of the empire state building though, the views amazing!

Also don't forget to visit Wall Street and the Rockafella Plaza!

Also, for the love of god, do the helicopter tour, it's worth every penny.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
we stayed in a small hotel on w55th street (between 8th and 9th avenue)

was decent for what we wanted - ROOM only. Walking distance to Central Park and Times Square. Was also walking distance to Statton Island Ferry (I know, cos we walked.......)

ill try and dig out the name of it.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
You can save a lot by not staying in Manhattan, I'm going next week and staying in an area called Sheep's Head Bay by the ocean. I'll get a train into the city for sightseeing, but I'm also going to rent a car, which is very cheap, to drive up the coast and such.

DaGaffer

You can save a lot by not staying in Manhattan, I'm going next week and staying in an area called Sheep's Head Bay by the ocean. I'll get a train into the city for sightseeing, but I'm also going to rent a car, which is very cheap, to drive up the coast and such.

Isn't that near Coney Island? Rough as fuck round there. Wouldn't fancy getting the subway back from a night out...

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It's not rough as fuck, it's mostly old biddies and fishing trips.
newRiviera.JPG

DaGaffer

Murder rate's 4 times higher than Manhatten; only The Bronx is higher.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
In Sheep's Head Bay, I don't think so? If it is it's not people being murdered on the streets, must be domestic violence or something. Murder rates are always higher in suburbs than they are in the city wherever you go because that's where everybody lives.

Whatever anyway, I think it's a nice place to stay.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
forgot to tell you the sights to see,

Statton Island Ferry
Ground Zero
Central Park
Empire State
Time Square
Financial Square (they have a McDonalds down there which is a Piano Bar)

if you are into Choppers, you can hire a car and drive out to Orange County where they have OCC (American Chopper series on Discovery Channel)

The Marriot Hotel on Times Square has a revolving restaurant at the top (pricey tho)

Rainbow room gives a good view over NY but it again is pricey.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yeah, as well as going up the Empire State Building you should go to the top of the Rockefeller Center if you want to get a good view of the Empire State Building, because you can't see the Empire State Building when you're inside it. The Chrysler Building is also very interesting, and perhaps better looking than the Empire State Building.

The famous Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station is very good also.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Nothing wrong with the Lower East Side Sharma! Best part of Manhatten for going out (unless you're loaded, then it's Midtown)

The sporting events you can go to is based on the time of the year. Baseball is almost over, though the NFL is starting soon.

Some touristy stuff that's worth doing -
Sundown on top of the Rockerfeller Center.
Macey's on 34th Street. Biggest department store in the world I think. Can spend an entire day in there easily.
Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), always something cool going on.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing wrong with the Lower East Side Sharma! Best part of Manhatten for going out (unless you're loaded, then it's Midtown)

I didn't like being given dirty looks by like every single hulking black guy and chinese bloke I saw down there. :p

Plus compared to everywhere else it's a shithole!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I don't think you can even get into new york anymore, how are you going to get out?

You do know it got turned into a maximum security prison amirite?

Are you trying to rescue the president?

You're wasting your time its a jungle in there!

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
As long as you stay away from the Duke and trust in this guy you'll be fine...

images

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Also, dont bother visiting LA afterwards, it'll just be a dissapointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom