Help New York City / Rockefeller

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Dear travelled Freddies,

I am off to NYC at the start of June and want to photograph some of the sites (properly). For those that have been, can anyone tell me if there is an unobstructed view of the skyline from the top of the Rockefeller Centre? As in, no anti-suicide glass windows etc.?

From what I can gather on Flickr, it doesn't appear that there are any but I don't know if that has changed?

Edit: forum is fucking up the links below, so clicked the 'don't parse' button

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgigreeny/252069212/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/faceword/61133876

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The only thing I can tell you of New York is not to bother going up the Statue of Liberty. By all means go to the island it's on and wander around and stuff, but the actual statue is one enormous queue for terrible views and being stuck on staircases for a couple of hours. Save the money.

Other than that, the only high building I went up was Empire State (WTC was still there when I went but we never went), which is good but does have railings around the outside as an anti-suicide measure, which sucks a bit.

Both were far inferior to the CN Tower (Toronto) and Sears Tower (Chicago), which when I went was still the highest building on Earth. :]

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
There are 3 levels on the top of the Rockefeller, the very top one is not obstructed by glass, you can get a great shot of the Empire State from there, which almost looks level with the Rockefeller, but its not until you go to the ob deck at the ES that you realise how much you look down on the Rockefeller building

The arrow is the observation deck (102nd floor)
dsc00355t.jpg

This is the view of the lower level at the top of the rock, you can see the partitions
dsc00366nd.jpg

The queue to get into Liberty itself was hard work, airport style security, but once i was in it was fine, unfortuantly i only was allowed to go to the base of the statue, as access to the head has been closed since 9/11, but they reopened it on 4th July last year, i was there in June (bummer). They were saying it was only for a short period, but i dont know if its still open

The spiral staircase that takes you the the head
dsc00764s.jpg

Edmond

When you get your ticket for the Rockefeller centre, be sure to get the night time ticket too, its open till 11.30 (i think) and if its a clear night, its amazing

Also if you have time, try to take in the whole history of how it was built, the gamble that was taken by the Americam govenment and JD Rockefeller at the time of the depression just would not be allowed today, given the economical climate we are going through atm, they had it 100 times worse

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I preferred the Rockefeller as you could see the Empire state building, also Manhattan skyline will make you go "wooooooooooooooooooah", get some deep heat for your neck as for the first couple days you'll walk around the city with you're head looking up.

Edmond

And plasters for the blisters on your feet from all the walking

old.user4556

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Very excited about it :), thanks guys.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Get the Staten Island Ferry for the best Skyline shots, especially at night.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Can I come, it was literally this time last year I went and I really want to go back. You will have to play the role of my ex girlfriend however :sex:

Edmond

I'm going back in October

SilverHood

FH is my second home
There's no glass at the top level, but you cant jump from there anyway, as you'd hit the bottom level, which does have glass. Go around 45 minutes before sunset for the best view, so you get both day, sunset and night in one trip.

It's possible to go all the way up in the statue of liberty these days, but you gotta book in advance as there's limited space. Or at leas that was the story a month ago.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Was in NY in November, you can get into the Guggenheim for free on Friday nights - doors open at 5:30pm, so be there earlyish otherwise you'll queue for a while. Even if you aren't into art, you gotta go.

Make sure to check these details though, it was 3 months ago :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You will love it G, haven't been since 2002, but it was fantastic. You'll want to be taking pictures on every street.

old.user4556

Cheer guys.

What about places to eat? I reckon we will do "normal" most days but really push the boat out a couple of nights. My missus is a big Gossip Girl fan and wants to go to Butter (it gets mentioned frequently in the series).

Butter Restaurant

I expect I will need to reserve, but how much lead time am I likely to need to give for a reservation? Any other recommended places?

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Don't worry about food, there are thousands of places where you'll get some really good food, huge portions with reasonable prices. But don't forget to tip.

Where are you staying?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So it seems it's not just the UK government that thinks all photographers are terrorists. How shit :(

What dave said about food, loads to choose from, some lovely little restaurants tucked away. No need to spend a fortune.

old.user4556

During my last visit to Rockefeller center, a security guard was constantly watching and warning me because i was using a tripod. Even though the tripod usage on the retaining wall is permitted, he was constantly behind me saying that the camera and tripod may fall off and people on the floor below were worried. Safety is definitely important and he could have told me just once instead of bugging me. Anyway, i don’t want to lose my camera to hurt somebody :)

Might get away with it on this "retaining wall".

old.user4556

So it seems it's not just the UK government that thinks all photographers are terrorists. How shit :(

Indeed.

I think i'll pack a table-top tripod as I could probably get away with perching it on top of this wall that's been mentioned. Managed to find a pic on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monette39/4286436163/

Edmond

I have got the same shot of the park, but in June it was totally green, you have a great view of it in the fall

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Some great places to eat NYC:

Virgils BBQ - My fave BBQ place in NYC
Virgil's | Real Barbeque | Homepage

Asian 289 (corner of 7th Ave and Bleecker steet, number 289). Super cheap food and the cheapest booze in nyc. $5 cocktails! Only place I've ever managed to get wasted for $20.

For the truly over the top - Churrascaria Tribeca Brazillian Steakhouse. It's an all you can eat menu, but they only serve the best cuts of meat. Not much fun if you're a vegetarian, but who cares. Just make sure you go hungry :)
tribeca new web

As others have said though, there's tonnes of eating places, it's very hard to go wrong. Bad restaurants in NYC don't tend to last long (except Dos Caminos, which makes it up by serving some truly awesome frozen margaritas and nachos, but their food is manky).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom