New TV

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My telly died and since it was covered by a Currys policy (I forgot to cancel it after thinking I would get one for the first month to cover accidental damage whilst mounting it (fnar)).

So I now have £1299 to buy a new one. Previous one was 49" Samsung QLED.

I quite fancy an OLED though as I think they look nicer. I may be wrong.

I also thought if I did go OLED I'd be better with LG rather than Sony (sorry Bodhi) because I never hear good things about Android TV.

Was thinking similar size, maybe a bit bigger but I can't get a massive wall-mounted thing until I persuade the wife that we don't need a fucking fireplace so 70"+ ain't gonna happen.

My thinking may be completely off on all counts. Suggest away ppl...

/edit: I could add to the £1299 with extra money if needed...

Embattle

FH is my second home
QLED tend to do better whites whereas OLED does better in terms of blacks.

Size of TV should somewhat be decided by viewing distance.

Last time I read about Android TV it still needed work.

We have a LG 55 C8 OLED, give it good content and it looks great.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My telly died and since it was covered by a Currys policy (I forgot to cancel it after thinking I would get one for the first month to cover accidental damage whilst mounting it (fnar)).

So I now have £1299 to buy a new one. Previous one was 49" Samsung QLED.

I quite fancy an OLED though as I think they look nicer. I may be wrong.

I also thought if I did go OLED I'd be better with LG rather than Sony (sorry Bodhi) because I never hear good things about Android TV.

Was thinking similar size, maybe a bit bigger but I can't get a massive wall-mounted thing until I persuade the wife that we don't need a fucking fireplace so 70"+ ain't gonna happen.

My thinking may be completely off on all counts. Suggest away ppl...

/edit: I could add to the £1299 with extra money if needed...

Frankly, who needs a fucking fireplace, mate????

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We have a LG 55 C8 OLED, give it good content and it looks great.
Got the 65 (I think) GX and it's great. 120hz 4k HDR. Just need the graphics card to do that - but I get 60hz HDR or 120Hz 4k out of my 1080ti :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Got the 65 (I think) GX and it's great. 120hz 4k HDR. Just need the graphics card to do that - but I get 60hz HDR or 120Hz 4k out of my 1080ti :)

Nice, I just have it for films playing off the NAS, did get some 4K films recently and they certainly look nice. The LG OLED G1 (Evo) is supposed to be the new dogs bollocks as far as picture goes, it is also designed to be wall mounted with the bracket in the box but no feet.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, get that.

Edit, get them to throw in a soundbar. The sound on TVs is atrocious, that's how they make them so thin.

Edit, edit, you'll need a wall mount too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If it's the wall mount one @Wij the sound is great - they beefed up the audio from the ones on legs.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
From what I can tell the LG's have a slightly nicer interfaces, but the Sony's have a slightly better picture and far better motion handling and audio with the inscreen speakers. Not sure if I'd be picking a TV based on the smart stuff - we've got a 65" Sony LED with Android TV built in, and I'm struggling to remember the last time we ever used the Android part. The Sky Q box has Netflix/Amazon in it now, along with all the Sky stuff, so we just use that.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I have a quite beefy Samsung soundbar which I presume I can connect via Optical cable.

I know it says wall mount but I'm hoping it would also be able to be screwed into my standard VESA mount stand until I get the lounge redecorated and the huge shitty fireplace removed. Surely all TVs still have VESA screws on the back?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
If I were to get a new TV I would definitely look at Panasonics range. Especially if HDR capability is a factor in your purchase.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If I were to get a new TV I would definitely look at Panasonics range. Especially if HDR capability is a factor in your purchase.
Example?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
This?

How would that compare against the LG? Or against the cheaper jz1000b model? What's the difference? Cos it's pricey even for me :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
What about this?

That is a great panel as it includes the improved OLED panel:

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Probably best to go and physically look at a range of tvs in a showroom and then you can select what suits you best.
Also worth taking your own test media on a memory stick to make the comparison between makes and models.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Probably best to go and physically look at a range of tvs in a showroom and then you can select what suits you best.
Also worth taking your own test media on a memory stick to make the comparison between makes and models.
2 problems.

I'm isolating due to testing positive in the hospital at the weekend.

My test media may be a bit niche for a Currys showroom :/

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fucking cock!

Ordered the LG G series for £1600 from Currys. Arrived this morning and the screen is covered in marks that can't be rubbed off with a cloth. Some scratches too. It looked like brand new sealed in box all cables tied up and cardboarded so I don't understand why. Going to have to return it but the call centre said I can't do that same day and to call back tomorrow.

Incidentally it's fucking heavy. Screen appears to be glass rather than plastic and I can barely lift it even though its only 55". Not sure how I'd have mounted it on my VESA stand anyway.

COCK SHITTY BOLLOCKS

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Fucking cock!

Ordered the LG G series for £1600 from Currys. Arrived this morning and the screen is covered in marks that can't be rubbed off with a cloth. Some scratches too. It looked like brand new sealed in box all cables tied up and cardboarded so I don't understand why. Going to have to return it but the call centre said I can't do that same day and to call back tomorrow.

Incidentally it's fucking heavy. Screen appears to be glass rather than plastic and I can barely lift it even though its only 55". Not sure how I'd have mounted it on my VESA stand anyway.

COCK SHITTY BOLLOCKS
You got 14 days distance selling rules to return it for whatever reason. Just send it back its too heavy and you are looking for a different model. Btw usually the weight is in the tech specs

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Fucking cock!

COCK SHITTY BOLLOCKS

Silly question but you sure it's not a screen protector thing that can be peeled off?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'd be amazed if your TV is new. I bet it's been opened, used and repackaged. A flat screen should always have a screen protector.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'd be amazed if your TV is new. I bet it's been opened, used and repackaged. A flat screen should always have a screen protector.
That's what I thought unless it was a factory error. I'll double-check because you've made me paranoid I've missed something now but I'm pretty sure.

Embattle

FH is my second home
That's what I thought unless it was a factory error. I'll double-check because you've made me paranoid I've missed something now but I'm pretty sure.

Yes but are you really sure, they've got a lot better at those thin films they place on products. The worse one I found to spot was the one on the edges of fridge freezer shelves that cover the silver strips sometimes used, one time I thought the silver had an issue then realised it was actually the film finally coming off by itself :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
When I got my LG GX @Wij it came with a screen protector and was wrapped in unicorn's belly fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom