New Steam subscriber agreement...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So i got a popup about a new subscriber agreement and was reading it through when i found this...

For EU Subscribers:
You agree that this Agreement shall be deemed to have been made and executed in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and that it is subject to the laws of Luxembourg, excluding the law of conflicts and the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG).

The fuck does that mean?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It'll be a tax dodge for Valve...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
maybe cause of the resale of licenses being allowed in europe now ? maybe lux is outside that ruling as well ..

Embattle

FH is my second home
Perhaps but as a company you accept the laws of the country you sell in as far as I know, either way it is probably just some way to get out of something.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Perhaps but as a company you accept the laws of the country you sell in as far as I know, either way it is probably just some way to get out of something.
Yeah but i want to know what it is so i know if i should start to worry or not. I'm getting really suspicious when i see dodgy crap like this and no one can tell me what it actually means.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Most agreements, eula's, coc's and whatnot don't affect the majority of users in their whole lifetime, even if they said they own your firstborn child. Most the time it's just stuff to protect the writer more then enforcing some rules.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sure, but it basically says "follow the laws of Luxemburg when you use the Steam client"...

I don't know any of the laws there.. Does this mean i'm expected to read up on them just to make sure Valve can't rape me?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It doesn't really matter, they still have to abide by the laws of the country they are selling in...

EULAs are pretty useless anyway, they can't supersede law, no contract can.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
maybe cause of the resale of licenses being allowed in europe now ? maybe lux is outside that ruling as well ..

but Luxembourg are in the EU o_O

probably a tax thing, if they move their profits between countries in some magic way it lowers their taxes to below 1% in most countries

as an example google move their monies between ireland and netherlands using some loophole meaning they only pay about 0.2% tax on their UK revenues in the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom